FIN - MIM Tele

What's Hot

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3911
    edited August 2014
    Well, I'd been thinking that indeed it is a tele and as such didn't want tarting up too much with a vivid colour after my accident. So @Lixarto, you're right. I wanted to create a man's Tele! I first decided that it would be staying wood, but was reluctant because of the maple cap over the 5 piece body. This was my solution as I didn't really want a burst. The pics you see below are:

1. Back to bare wood with a couple of coats of shellac.
    2. A coat of nitro black around the edges.
    3. Rubbing back of the shellac and around the edge with a block to create a fake bound look.
    4. A couple of coats of nitro lacquer to seal it in.
    5. New logo applied (a silver one this time as I didn't like the gold).

I may do a little bit of light relicing after I've given it a polish (sometime in the next 10 days so it's been given chance to properly harden). 

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Marvellous work - have a Wow.

I shall put on my "I told you so" t-shirt :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha!!! 

Thanks man.
    :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Really different I like it. :D
    Cheers Adam. I can't wait to polish it and reassemble. It needs time to cure properly though, otherwise I'll probably knack it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    Coming along nicely. 

Have a wow.
    Cheers monq ;)
    Well. Yet another twist. I went into work earlier and the scheme I'd done just didn't look finished.
    So, it was out with the 600 wet and dry for a quick de-nib, another coat of shellac and I bit the bullet and went for the tobacco burst. Cellulose is so quick to work with, I love using it. I finished off with a few coats of cellulose lacquer and it's finished barring a polish of the body (that I'll do by hand with micromesh and T-Cut). The neck came up really well with T-Cut. I scraped the frets too so I could polish the whole thing in a one'er.
    I now have an all-nitro tobacco burst Tele and can't wait to get those Bare Knuckle Flat 50's re-installed:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Oh my.
    Nice.
    Cheers. I fear I'll be waiting about a month for the body to cure before I polish it though! I put a nice layer of cellulose lacquer on as I really wanna see some checking a few months down the line.
    Hmm.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Go on.....
    Nah, just teasing.

Looks good. You are using a black 'plate?
    Ha! Now I just knew you were going to say that. I have black and a vintage cream. No stark whites to spoil the party.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes. Good. Black.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The body is now pretty much cured. Both the body and neck have started checking so I decided I'd have a go at relicing this afternoon. This is my first attempt so go easy on me! I need to order some Klusons and a vintage bridge with brass saddles to finish the look:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Re the burst, did you spray inside/out or outside/in? I'm debating which approach to go with! Yours is very well done I feel. V nice.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    That looks incredible !
    jd0272;337518" said:
    Re the burst, did you spray inside/out or outside/in? I'm debating which approach to go with! Yours is very well done I feel. V nice.
    Inside out. I wouldn't try outside in as it won't work. And thanks for the comment ;)
    DrBob;337597" said:
    That looks incredible !
    Thanks a lot. It's one of those rare occasions when I'm actually happy with my first attempt.