Boss Tonebender pre order through Macaris

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    £690 is pretty bang on the same as the going rate in the US which is about $1k. 

I can see it lower a bit more but don't think it will ever break £500.  As for what it will go for in 10 years, it will only go up, even if there is a mk2, there will be people who will go on about special germanium in this version i bet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 409
    Taking the logic that there are reported to be more than 8000 Klon's made by Bill Finegan and they're topping 5K now, in 10-15 years time with only 3000 of these, you could be looking at crazy value for them.

I mean, look at KTR's now, I sold mine last year for £250ish, but now they're over £500, given these aren't out of production as far as I know, just sold out currently.

Can't see the Boss Tonebender dropping a whole lot below this. Glad I snagged mine for retail....just lucky to see the email when they sent it, rather than the day after.
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    edited July 2021
    I couldn't afford the Boss, so i think i am going to buy this one instead.  ;)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2329
    edited July 2021
    Just had a go with a Tele into a Fender 68 CDR and it absolutely slams with everything on the pedal on full. Massive sounding chords. Really aggressive! Backing down on the guitar or pedal gives the expected much less full on but warm and singing fuzz tone.

Nice pedal. I'm impressed. I need to hear it in a rehearsal space. 
  • wingo84wingo84 Frets: 42
    Managed to gig it last night. Oh man this thing is wild! Used it on “ain’t nobody” and it just ripped… got another gig this weekend, will let it loose on “addicted to love” and a load of songs it’s inappropriate for
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12403
    It's a tidy investment for a cheap as chips to build circuit, sprinkle in some unobtanium transistors, so unobtanium in fact that they could only do 3000 of them after the painstaking selection process and you are on to a Klon style legend. Wish I'd had the foresight to buy one or five. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2207
    My Macaris one should be coming Wednesday.  Can't wait to try. 

I wonder how much I'll devalue it by sticking velcro on?
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1304
    I’ve seen a thread in thegearpage with folks complaining about being scalped at source. 

Apparently some official Boss retailers have abandoned the rrp and priced to reflect the resale value.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2697
    edited July 2021
    I’ve seen a thread in thegearpage with folks complaining about being scalped at source. 

Apparently some official Boss retailers have abandoned the rrp and priced to reflect the resale value.
    Good, and so they should, free market and all that. It’s been happening with Rolex for years with likely backhanders to dealers who sell to secondary grey market dealers. Result? The grays have all the stock. Don’t agree with the prices, don’t buy it. As long as people buy it, they’ll ask the prices. 

Want a tone bender? No problem, all on eBay/reverb. In all seriousness, I can’t fathom paying £600 for a pedal. Even at RRP it’s expensive. Would love to try one but at this stage it’s a race to get your hands on one at rrp for reasons other than ‘tone’.

Good, and so they should, free market and all that. It’s been happening with Rolex for years with likely backhanders to dealers who sell to secondary grey market dealers. Result? The grays have all the stock. Don’t agree with the prices, don’t buy it. As long as people buy it, they’ll ask the prices. 

Want a tone bender? No problem, all on eBay/reverb. In all seriousness, I can’t fathom paying £600 for a pedal. Even at RRP it’s expensive. Would love to try one but at this stage it’s a race to get your hands on one at rrp for reasons other than ‘tone’.
    Have you heard the one guy where the shop on Reverb:-

1 - Took the money at the inflated price of $499
    2 - Shipped the goods
    3 - A day later requested UPS a withdraw of goods to return the pedal
    4 - Relist at $1499

I am sure there is some contract laws being broken there regarding offer acceptance and money taken and then shipping!  That's a contract made and thus need to fullfull. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5442

Have you heard the one guy where the shop on Reverb:-

1 - Took the money at the inflated price of $499
    2 - Shipped the goods
    3 - A day later requested UPS a withdraw of goods to return the pedal
    4 - Relist at $1499

I am sure there is some contract laws being broken there regarding offer acceptance and money taken and then shipping!  That's a contract made and thus need to fullfull. 
    Consumer protection laws are way looser in the States in most cases than they are here... it's quite plausible the goods weren't his until he signed for them. Doesn't make it any less a d*ck move obviously.
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1304
    I think the difference between this pedal and a Klon will be that it is a bit more niche.

Thanks to the likes of John Mayer the Klon has become a “must have” blues rock pedal, and a lot of the people seeking that tone/sound tend to be older hobbyists/collectors for many of whom money is not an issue. 

The Klon is also probably a bit more generally applicable, whereas a TB is a very particular sound.
    Wait until John Mayer uses it for leads!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    I was really very lucky to nab one in Feb from GAK (arrived last week), I really wanted one after reading about them last year, I was a tone bender fuzz. I knew it was an extravagance buying one at the original retail price but I thought they would certainly hold their value and be no problem to get my money back if I didn't like it.

My original intention was to play it, gig it, enjoy it and make it part of my sound but these crazy prices make me quite wary to go out to a packed pub or venue, stick velcro on it, tread on it, plug it in even "don't' touch it, don't even look at it" as Nigel Tufnail would say. 

Sadly, there is always that nagging temptation from the GAS demon voice in my head telling me "if you sell it along with your Suhr you'd be able to get the CS Strat of your dreams"!

Nah! After playing it for a week it that is still my intention, I'm going stick to playing it and enjoying it, having a pedal (or any musical gear) on a shelf in a box not being played or heard is not for me, which is probably why I now have two fuzz pedals on my board! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    HoraceB said:
    I was really very lucky to nab one in Feb from GAK (arrived last week), I really wanted one after reading about them last year, I was a tone bender fuzz. I knew it was an extravagance buying one at the original retail price but I thought they would certainly hold their value and be no problem to get my money back if I didn't like it.

My original intention was to play it, gig it, enjoy it and make it part of my sound but these crazy prices make me quite wary to go out to a packed pub or venue, stick velcro on it, tread on it, plug it in even "don't' touch it, don't even look at it" as Nigel Tufnail would say. 

Sadly, there is always that nagging temptation from the GAS demon voice in my head telling me "if you sell it along with your Suhr you'd be able to get the CS Strat of your dreams"!

Nah! After playing it for a week it that is still my intention, I'm going stick to playing it and enjoying it, having a pedal (or any musical gear) on a shelf in a box not being played or heard is not for me, which is probably why I now have two fuzz pedals on my board! 

There are endless CS Strat but only 3000* (3116 last count!) of the Boss out there!  ;)
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3693
    So how are the Emperor’s new tonez?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Nobody who bought one and is sitting on a goldmine is going to say they're pants, are they?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    Hattigol said:
    Nobody who bought one and is sitting on a goldmine is going to say they're pants, are they?
    Depends on the pants....

https://www.dior.com/en_gb/products/couture-114E50AM708_X5820_TXS-briefs?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxJqHBhC4ARIsAChq4asRrDRrKHs400GpaPjQHgc62jW3h6KtZUHjGrwvG4g9k0fiXGjAoYwaAuIjEALw_wcB
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2207
    Oof, for some reason Macaris decided to ship with Herpes :(