The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited December 2021
    goldtop said:
    Peep Show is great. Like Men Behaving Badly with added idiocy.

Ah, I wasn't a big fan of MBB. 
    ah but Lesley Ash (before she became a wrasse) *rubs thighs, Vic Reeves stylee*
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Plus the Kylie episode.

• Jungle Green: Borneo  (1964 - on BBC iPlayer)
    The context of this documentary is the Indonesia-Malaysia Confrontation of 1963-65 - the documentary was made in 1964 while things were still tense.  The programme shows men from 40 Commando operating in the front line area in (what was then) Borneo, both in static forts and on patrol. It caught my eye because my elder nephew just finished a ten-year stint with 40 Commando, so I passed this on to him as I thought he might like to see some of his forebears doing their thing. It's great old-school bush-hats-and-foot-powder stuff. Nothing exciting happens in the film, although there was some intense fighting during the period of hostilities  - 29 Military Crosses earned by the Gurkha regiments that were in service there :o
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    bertie said:
    really enjoying Bebop Cowboy on Prime    -  a nice bit of ironic nod to late 60s detective shows 
    I have to say I quite liked it but it has not been recommissioned apparently due to huge backlash from fans of the original anime that it is based on. Lots of changes to characters and back stories or something, and amazingly in the anime Faye Valentine is basically a sex kitten on steroids and they are "offended" she wasn't portrayed as such in the live action show.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22949
    edited December 2021
    I'm watching Only Murders in the Building on Star/Disney+.  Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez as residents investigating a "murder" in their posh NYC apartment building (and making a podcast about it).

My brother suggested it but I'm finding it very hard going.  The characters aren't very likeable, the plot's not that interesting and it's only mildly amusing.

Edit:  It's only fair to say that it finally got going - more than halfway through the series - and I really enjoyed the last few episodes.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2021
    I watched a few episodes of "schitts creek" last night. Not bad I suppose. I like the dad, he's quite funny, the mum too, looks ridiculous...reminds me of beetlejuice...and the accent! The son seems to use ten times the energy it needs to say anything, and finishes every other sentence with 'so' (I think I blame Ricky Gervais for that, he done it a lot in the office). 
    I'm trying The Boys, as recommended elsewhere here. It's quite funny, occasionally very funny, but it's somehow a bit annoying.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Started watching Lost in Space on Netflix. Will is a bit of an annoying twerp, as per the original I suppose, but otherwise it’s enjoyable and well done. More importantly it’s way better than the film version. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12394
    Just watched the stand on amazon prime.  I thought it was great until the last episode which seemed like they were filling time.  It's fairly faithful to the original story but it felt like the pacing was wrong at the end.  Well worth watching though.

I enjoyed castle rock too.  King stuff seems to work better in longer series than the usual film/mini-series format.
  • I'm not sure if I've already said this on here, but we watched the final episode of Schitt's Creek last night (Netflix). Great series, with a great ending. Highly recommended, and a perfect example of how to finish a series properly.
    munckee said:
    Just watched the stand on amazon prime.  I thought it was great until the last episode which seemed like they were filling time.  It's fairly faithful to the original story but it felt like the pacing was wrong at the end.  Well worth watching though.
    Is it free now?  I think when it was on originally you had to pay some extortionate amount to watch it.
    I'm not sure if I've already said this on here, but we watched the final episode of Schitt's Creek last night (Netflix). Great series, with a great ending. Highly recommended, and a perfect example of how to finish a series properly.
    That's a good point. So many TV shows seem to end a season with the writers doing a "OK, we've left a ton of loose ends, so please don't cancel us now, oh and by the way, we just now thought of this shock plot twist cliff-hanger".

Will take a look at that show. I'd discounted it mostly because of the lame name.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Philly_Q said:
    munckee said:
    Is it free now?  I think when it was on originally you had to pay some extortionate amount to watch it.
    I wanted to watch it as well. It’s £18 for season one. It’s a no from me. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Some great shows have ended so badly. Battlestar Galactica, Dexter, many others. There's also the seasons long slow degredation of quality syndrome.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I do miss the fine acting, intriguing plots and quality scenery of Crossroads.............................  
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2415
    ennspek said:
    Some great shows have ended so badly. Battlestar Galactica, Dexter, many others. There's also the seasons long slow degredation of quality syndrome.
    If you haven't already, check out Dexter: New Blood. It's certainly back to form (and by form, I mean the Trinity Killer era seasons).
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7443
    FarleyUK said:
    ennspek said:
    If you haven't already, check out Dexter: New Blood. It's certainly back to form (and by form, I mean the Trinity Killer era seasons).
    As a counter opinion: it’s really not. It’s about as weak as Dexter at it’s weakest imo 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7443
    Philly_Q said:
    I'm watching Only Murders in the Building on Star/Disney+.  Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez as residents investigating a "murder" in their posh NYC apartment building (and making a podcast about it).

My brother suggested it but I'm finding it very hard going.  The characters aren't very likeable, the plot's not that interesting and it's only mildly amusing.

Edit:  It's only fair to say that it finally got going - more than halfway through the series - and I really enjoyed the last few episodes.
    I really liked that one from the start - the gentle humour tickled me - Martin Short is great in it imo 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Philly_Q said:

I really liked that one from the start - the gentle humour tickled me - Martin Short is great in it imo 
    I think what swung it for me was the episode which focused on the deaf kid.  The whole episode was effectively from his perspective - even when he wasn't in it, there was almost no dialogue, just background music and old-fashioned silent comedy.  Very clever.  I enjoyed it from then on.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited December 2021
    Into second episode of "space force" and it's looking like it could be pretty good. The bit with the chimp was a proper LOL!