Fuse blew on Fender DRRI 65 - why would that be?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    They can be tricky. It's often easier to undo the baffle first and push it forward a bit, which will allow the chassis to drop down slightly and not jam on the top of the cabinet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Moving the baffle forward worked.

By the internal fuse I see a pair of terminals CP1 (purple) and CP2 (white with black stripe).

By the tremolo intensity control I see another pair of terminals CP7 (white) and CP8 (black)

I'm going to swap CP2 and CP8...wish me luck!
    edited April 2021
    Done.

The trickiest part was getting the bloody chassis out. Loosening the cabinet baffle and pushing it forward a tad helped. Had to extract one of the wires out of the cable tie so it would reach to the terminal.

Powered up and all is working fine.

Not sure if it's me but the amp seems a bit quieter?

One other question - do the power valves need re-biasing now on 240v?

Anyway, @ICBM thanks for your help. I guess the amp should run better at 240v now?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72366
    Yes, it should be marginally quieter, both as in background noise and maximum output volume. You could possibly rebias a fraction hotter to compensate but it’s not really necessary.

Everything in the amp will run slightly cooler and more conservatively, which should help with longevity as well as possibly stopping this arcing issue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2021
    @ICBM really thanks a lot for your continued help in this, you have the patience of a saint!

Power valves measured about 22mA so I upped them a tad to around 24mA. (Using a TAD BiasMaster)