How much difference is there between 00 and 000 sound?

What's Hot
JamesC01JamesC01 Frets: 11
edited February 2021 in Acoustics
Yesterday I ordered a sigma 00m-15, and just my luck, they sent a 000m-15. I like the size more than I thought I would, but it's a bit boomier than I would've liked. The only experience I have with acoustic guitars is an old dreadnaught, a yamaha c40 classical guitar, and now this 000m-15. I'm wondering if I'm just not used to how bass-heavy acoustic guitars are, since I've mostly been playing on an unplugged squier strat, or if the guitar is actually a bit too boomy. Also, what's the difference in overall volume between the two?

So to the title: how much difference is there between 00 and 000 size? Is it a big difference, or is it quite subtle? I suppose this is the problem with buying online without trying it out. I plan on using it for a bit of everything. I'm a beginner, and I'm interested plenty of different areas, basic strumming, picking individual notes (lead guitar, I suppose), and a bit of fingerstyle, is 000 better suited for that, or 00, or again, is the difference negligible?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I’m not an expert on Sigma guitars, but I am a fan of smaller bodied acoustics.  There are so many variables in acoustic guitar manufacturing that it’s difficult to answer your question.  Smaller bodied acoustics tend to be more focussed on mid-range, as opposed to, say, Dreadnaughts, that have a wider smoother response.  The result is that they tend to be quite punchy for fingerstyle,  but can be harsh when it comes to strumming.  I think this might be what you’re experiencing.  Obviously your ears and your own preferences play a big part as well.  I imagine someone on here will be able to give you a better answer.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Assuming it’s the same size as the Martins with the same body designation it’s about 0.5” in length and 3/4” in width between an 00 and a 000. http://onemanz.com/guitar/reviews/acoustic-guitars/martin/model-designation/

I think the difference is fairly subtle and whilst you didn’t get what you ordered if you’re happy with it then I’d be inclined to keep it. As a beginner either guitar will be equally good to learn on. 

It’s very easy to over analyse guitar choice so just go and play the hell out of it! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i'd be surprised if an all hog 000 is 'boomy'.
    Like mentioned above, if you're learning, either will be just fine. A 000 is basically a do it all sort of sized guitar so it'll probably give you a little more versatility than a 00

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Generally a 000 is slightly more expensive than a 00, and I would say better-sounding unless you really specifically want a 'small guitar' sound, so if it was me I would keep quiet about my free upgrade :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    I agree with this. ^^^^^
  • JamesC01JamesC01 Frets: 11
    edited February 2021
    ICBM said:
    Generally a 000 is slightly more expensive than a 00, and I would say better-sounding unless you really specifically want a 'small guitar' sound, so if it was me I would keep quiet about my free upgrade .
    Not sure how they've done it, but they're both the same price, so I'm not really getting an upgrade. I probably won't switch it anyway, since people are saying it's more versatile. I also realised something: I think it's actually sympathetic resonance which is causes some of the "boominess." When I play the 2nd fret A string, especially with a capo, it causes the low E string to vibrate, which muddies it up a little bit.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    JamesC01 said:
    ICBM said:
    Generally a 000 is slightly more expensive than a 00, and I would say better-sounding unless you really specifically want a 'small guitar' sound, so if it was me I would keep quiet about my free upgrade .
    Not sure how they've done it, but they're both the same price, so I'm not really getting an upgrade. I probably won't switch it anyway, since people are saying it's more versatile. I also realised something: I think it's actually sympathetic resonance which is causes some of the "boominess." When I play the 2nd fret A string, especially with a capo, it causes the low E string to vibrate, which muddies it up a little bit.
    There’s a very simple fix to that: just retune to DADGAD :)
  • ICBM said:
    I have a 14 fret long scale 000 (an OM), a 14 fret 00, a 12 fret 00, a 12 fret long scale 0 and a mini Jumbo Guild 12 string.

Of course it can be expected the larger the body size the more bass there is but IMO there are too many other variables at stake, like the make, the bracing, the type of soundboard.

Just looking a D28, one with straight braces will sound significantly different to a D28 with forward shifted scalloped braces (as will a rear shifted one, which is my favourite).

Of my guitars my 12 Fret 00 is the loudest acoustic guitar I own by quite a margin. My ears also find the 00 body size to be the most balanced, for my way of playing and my ears. 

IMO, the differences between sizes have a bearing on sound for sure but for comfort/ergonomics it's even more significant. I love dreadnaughts but for a short man like myself it is like plucking strings on the other side of a wardrobe, so playing an OM makes a lot more sense.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5448
    We are all guessing here as we haven't played it, but my thought is that it's going to have a middle emphasis (that is what a mahogany top does) and probably a bit of "thump" when you strum it. (Rather like a Gibson acoustic.) These are both working-as-designed qualities. 

You can do a lot  to tweak a guitar's sound with different strings. But plenty of time for that discussion a few weeks down the track.

Enjoy your new steel string!
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    Not much is probably the answer if you take into account the many variables of wood, strings, build, materials, bracing, playing style, etc.

00 is smaller than 000 and both are appreciably smaller than dreadnought so sound will have less base . Base overwhelms on some larger instruments, especially when recording, so many will like more balance towards mid-range and trebles. Many won't. Smaller players might find dreadnought a bit large. Most players will find 00/000 more comfortable.

Also there's the aesthetic. 00 is classical shape and size and will remind you of the Antonio de Torres plantilla.  000 is a slightly different outline with a more emphasised upper and lower bout.

Guitars being what they are, and if you can't decide, buy one of each!!

That won't help either.   =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I’ve never found any 000 boomy, but on the other hand I prefer Dreadnoughts largely because of the bass response :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    ICBM said:
    I have a 14 fret long scale 000 (an OM), a 14 fret 00, a 12 fret 00, a 12 fret long scale 0 and a mini Jumbo Guild 12 string.

Of course it can be expected the larger the body size the more bass there is but IMO there are too many other variables at stake, like the make, the bracing, the type of soundboard.

Just looking a D28, one with straight braces will sound significantly different to a D28 with forward shifted scalloped braces (as will a rear shifted one, which is my favourite).

Of my guitars my 12 Fret 00 is the loudest acoustic guitar I own by quite a margin. My ears also find the 00 body size to be the most balanced, for my way of playing and my ears. 

IMO, the differences between sizes have a bearing on sound for sure but for comfort/ergonomics it's even more significant. I love dreadnaughts but for a short man like myself it is like plucking strings on the other side of a wardrobe, so playing an OM makes a lot more sense.

What is it like further away though in terms of projection?

I have a Martin Dreadnought that doesn't sound that loud up close, but a dB meter a few metres away showed it to be 3dB louder than another guitar that felt louder to me as a player.

There are so many variables with acoustic guitars.  If you find one you like, then I wouldn't worry too much about the specs.
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I guess the question in return is, do you like the feel and sound of this guitar? 

I did try one one of these for a brief period when I last bought an acoustic. I can't recollect much about the sound, but in the end I opted for something else in the shop. 

In terms of specs and looks, Sigma guitars give a good impression. I ought to try more of them.