ESP LTD Eclipse 1000 vs Gibson Les Paul

What's Hot
Anyone compared these two back to back?  How does the Eclipse feel and sound in comparison?  

Reading the specs gives a great idea how it should feel buys obvs can't try currently. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I did, but it was quite some time ago now - just after uni, so about 8 years ago...!

I compared similar priced models - at the time, this was the LPJ and LP studio against the ltd. 

I tried a few of each - and the best guitar was the ltd. It had a slightly slimmer body, better pickups (Gibson 490 pickups are not my favourite, but it's taste not quality tbh) and a carved away neck join. 

Some ec1000 models don't have that - they are "traditional" which means you get the full thickness (chambered) body and a normal neck heel. 

I'd say you need to get out and try them, but that's not really possible... 

I was somewhat surprised by the LPJ. It was billed as an affordable quality Gibson, but two of the three I picked out were flawed, with bad fret ends and a really, really horrible thick nitro finish that was uneven and... Just kinda gross. I'd take an epiphone standard/epiphone 60s over it on looks and feel but again, all about taste... 
  • The main point is that there isn't a single eclipse model - there are slim ones, modern ones, traditional ones, active, passive, tone pros, evertune... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The main point is that there isn't a single eclipse model - there are slim ones, modern ones, traditional ones, active, passive, tone pros, evertune... 
    Yes been looking into them all. Quiet like the piezo one actually, rather than the emg or fishman active options.
  • I have my Orville By Gibson LPC and an ESP LTD EC1000ET. The EC1000ET neck feels thinner. Feline did the frets for my Orville, so it feels super buttery smooth to play. The ESP feels stiffer to me, and I think it could do with some neck work to make it the best it can be - I'd like it to have rounded fretboard edges and lower frets.

Bye!

• tabanotabano Frets: 100
    I have had quite a few ltds 1000,  esp eclipses,
    and a custom shop at some point,
    I also had late 80’s les paul standard,
    the esp eclipses sounded livelier and there was a bit of a percussive attack to single notes that the Gibson didn’t have, they were more articulate too,
    they are 80% les paul and 20% sg roughly if that
    makes sense,
     the ltds are great guitars but they lack a bit against the esp,
     they aim to be an esp eclipse basically but their overall quality and sound is just a tad behind,
    the les paul is the thicker, denser sounding,
    bigger mid lows but less articulate,
    I preferred the ESPs overall but
    nut width is 42 mm and a thinner neck compared to the les paul ,
     that and the short scale felt a bit too crowded to me sometimes,..
    I hope it helps,

• It still bemuses me that Gibson don't make anything like the LTD EC range or even full Eclipses. Thinner body, hotter pickups, comfort carves, locking tuners, etc.

I've got a purple EC-256 that I did some mods on (for fun, it didn't really need them) and it's an excellent guitar for the money.  

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    edited February 2021
    Thinner U shape neck, which is wider was what I noticed as the main difference between ESP/LTD and Gibson, also Gibson are often thicker bodies and bound on back/front on Customs.

ESP/LTD use larger fret wire. Other than that it is down to three or four knob control layouts, as I had an older  ESP Eclipse it had the four knob layout, so you could do the same as on a Gibson.

ESP felt better made to me, but I was comparing a Japanese ESP to a USA Gibson Custom Shop.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    I took delivery of this on Thursday, its an Ec-1001T CTM. 

Store really didnt live up to the hype but the guitar itself does after a little fret work and tightening of things. 

Whilst its clearly Ltd’s most inspired take on a Les Paul, I think it is quite a different beast. 
    The thing is I’ve not played a Gibson Les Paul except my Junior there, and a 2015ish Epiphone Les Paul.

The Traditional aspect really is just the body. 
    This model has the full thickness chambered body, maple cap, mahogany body and neck, double bound and a 24.75 scale, but the rest of it is certainly modern. 

Ebony board, XJ frets, locking tuners and bridge/tailpiece, only 1 tone knob, no scratchplate. 
    This one has Emg’s which are splittable also. 
    Poly finish and about 8.5lbs. Does have a subtle top carve but no belly cut or lower cutaway carving like the regular ec-1000’s. 

Neck join is great. They moved to this more streamlined carve for the Ec’s a few years back whilst at the same time removing the 12th fret inlay which had the model name in, and instead put it on the truss rod cover. 

I really like it though. 

The Thin U neck doesnt feel too slim. Then again I am used to Ltd’s carve.. but the Juniors 50’s neck is much thicker I think. 

Tried to take a side by side to show the body variances between this, a Gibson junior and a Fender Tele. 

The new 2021 Ltd Ec models in the line up all appear to have satin finished necks if thats your bag, I hate them personally, and stainless steel frets, including the 2021 T CTM which also has Fishman pickups.

I think the old Ec-1000 Piezo modes had a rosewood board rather than Ebony also, but now only seem available with Pau Ferro which isnt to everyones liking. 
    They do come with SD passives though and nickel silver frets, which are both more traditional aspects than what the the new 2021 traditionals have lol. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2924
    edited February 2021
    Having played a few back to back I felt like the LTD EC1000T/CTM was like a better & more modern version of a Les Paul. I don't really rate current Gibson that highly for the money, and the only "really nice" ones I've played are from the custom shop which are just stupid prices. Even the EC401 felt as good as/better than the Gibsons which just feel like you're paying for the name and a slightly nicer nitro finish.

The T & CTM models are all full thickness I believe. I really fancy one of these, I'd prefer a cooler colour but the spec puts any similarly priced Gibson to shame!

https://www.espguitars.com/products/24224-ec-1000t-ctm

The one I really want is the now discontinued BK600 Eclipse. Visually I prefer the 2 knob layout and it has a 12" radius. Looks like an aged silverburst custom which is cool.

PRS are worth a look too, the S2 pattern regular neck is bloody lovely. Again I thought even the SE series felt as good as the lower end Gibson's to me, just a more plasticky poly finish.

Also it might be worth waiting for the new Matt Heafy signature from Epiphone. That's the one I have my eye on the most, just hoping they don't ruin it with the usual slim D Epiphone neck which feels weird to me. It's basically what the LP modern should be!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I don’t get why Gibson make contemporary models without jumbo fretwire. When ESP hoover up that market share and every guitar has Jumbo fretwire?
    it’s like are the guys in the factory scared of it?? 
  • I've got an EC1000ET and a Les Paul Traditional Pro.  

They're very different instruments.  The EC1000 I have has 24 frets and is ergonomically quite different to the 22 fret Les Paul, the neck is moved further out to the neck side.  It's also much thinner and lighter.  It has a brighter tone to it acoustically and that's not all from the evertune bridge.  Upper fret access is much better on the LTD.  Quality is good, mine had a couple of high frets but after a fret dress it plays and sounds amazing.  I changed my bridge pickup for a BKP Nailbomb and I'm very happy with it

My Les Paul is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played, but it weighs so damn much I don't use it that often these days.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10361
    It still bemuses me that Gibson don't make anything like the LTD EC range or even full Eclipses. Thinner body, hotter pickups, comfort carves, locking tuners, etc.

I've got a purple EC-256 that I did some mods on (for fun, it didn't really need them) and it's an excellent guitar for the money.  
    They do. The Modern series. 
  • It still bemuses me that Gibson don't make anything like the LTD EC range or even full Eclipses. Thinner body, hotter pickups, comfort carves, locking tuners, etc.

Nah. Very much a half way house. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2924
    edited February 2021
    The neck joint on the modern is definitely better but it's still not as good as what's on the ESPs or even the Epiphone Prophecy. Doesn't have a headstock volute or shallower angle either, would have been the ideal model to address that issue. Burstbuckers should have been swapped for something more contemporary. They've definitely half-arsed the Modern, for a £2.5k guitar I'd want more innovation!
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4145
    edited February 2021
    Loads of inciteful feedback and personal references.  A cross between a les Paul and an SG and an ibanez sounds right up my street. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LogieLogie Frets: 444
    I had the chance to play a Ltd EC1000 with the JB/59 pairing and the SG crossed with a Les Paul comparison is spot on. Lovely playing guitar and great for the money.
  • skunkwerx said:
    I took delivery of this on Thursday, its an Ec-1001T CTM. 

Store really didnt live up to the hype but the guitar itself does after a little fret work and tightening of things. 

Whilst its clearly Ltd’s most inspired take on a Les Paul, I think it is quite a different beast. 
    The thing is I’ve not played a Gibson Les Paul except my Junior there, and a 2015ish Epiphone Les Paul.

The Traditional aspect really is just the body. 
    This model has the full thickness chambered body, maple cap, mahogany body and neck, double bound and a 24.75 scale, but the rest of it is certainly modern. 

Ebony board, XJ frets, locking tuners and bridge/tailpiece, only 1 tone knob, no scratchplate. 
    This one has Emg’s which are splittable also. 
    Poly finish and about 8.5lbs. Does have a subtle top carve but no belly cut or lower cutaway carving like the regular ec-1000’s. 

Neck join is great. They moved to this more streamlined carve for the Ec’s a few years back whilst at the same time removing the 12th fret inlay which had the model name in, and instead put it on the truss rod cover. 

I really like it though. 

The Thin U neck doesnt feel too slim. Then again I am used to Ltd’s carve.. but the Juniors 50’s neck is much thicker I think. 

Tried to take a side by side to show the body variances between this, a Gibson junior and a Fender Tele. 

The new 2021 Ltd Ec models in the line up all appear to have satin finished necks if thats your bag, I hate them personally, and stainless steel frets, including the 2021 T CTM which also has Fishman pickups.

I think the old Ec-1000 Piezo modes had a rosewood board rather than Ebony also, but now only seem available with Pau Ferro which isnt to everyones liking. 
    They do come with SD passives though and nickel silver frets, which are both more traditional aspects than what the the new 2021 traditionals have lol. 

Nice it has the maple cap. 

Some of them don't for sure - they're just mahogany. It's hard to know which ones are veneer and what ones are not... 
    It still bemuses me that Gibson don't make anything like the LTD EC range or even full Eclipses. Thinner body, hotter pickups, comfort carves, locking tuners, etc.

Nah. Very much a half way house. 
    Well, it's got pretty everything you said. 
  • Veneer doesn't necessarily mean no maple cap. Plenty of guitars have both.

Veneer doesn't necessarily mean no maple cap. Plenty of guitars have both.
    The locking tuners, the belly carve, the neck carve, the locking tuners. Everything you said.