Double PRS NGD

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7359
I've always wanted a PRS guitar but I'd never even touched one, so went to PMT in Leeds to try out a Custom 24. Absolutely hated the thing and left feeling really disappointed. Wouldn't have paid £500 for it let alone £2500.
The next week I was round at my guitar tech's, and he said he had a customer's CE22 in the back that I could try out as he was selling it. I loved that one and made an offer but unfortunately I was too late.

2 weeks and 2 ebay listings mysteriously ending early and I'm the owner of these CE22's.
Funnily enough the copper one is actually the same guitar I played at my tech's.

Not bad for half the price of the Custom 24 I first played.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    I love the copper one! The sunburst one is not my thing, but I'm sure it's nice.

Funnily enough I'm like you in that I can't get on with the 24-fret models at all - I wouldn't even own a PRS if that's all they made - and love the 22s. Such a big difference half an inch of neck length makes...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7359
    I prefer how the sunburst one looks, but I think I might prefer how the copper one plays and sounds. Might be the difference in string gauges. I'll see when I get 10s on both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Is the copper one that went for a steal a few weeks ago? 
    edited September 2013
    No, but I got it for pretty much the same price if I had to take petrol in to account.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Good work I'd love a copper one to go with my goldtop
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8539
    Love the copper one, amazing value if you got it around the price of that ebay one.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    That sunburst one is gorgeous - exactly the sort of look I'd want from a PRS. Unfortunately I can't stand their headstock design, so I'd be tempted to re-shape it if I ever owned one.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I've not tried a PRS, but I like the look of the sunburst one, very nice good GAS.

PS. carpet could do with a vac.

>:D<

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I love that sunburst one, beautiful. Solid coloured PRSs normally go for a fair bit less than the flame tops, and that copper colour is not to my taste but it's certainly striking. Hope you get loads of fun out of them.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Haha I was thinking the same about the carpet when I saw the picture.
  • Love them both - copper one is my favourite though. Enjoy!
    They were £750 and £625, which I thought were good prices.
    I was looking at the eBay copper one but I'd have had to spend a fair bit in petrol to get it. By coincidence I happened to work right next door to the owner of this one.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can someone enlighten me as to the difference between a Custom 22/24 and a CE 22/24 guitar. I've been vaguely considering trading my Les Paul in for a PRS (as long as it's lighter) and the general consensus seems to be that a McCarty, a DGT or a Custom 22 would fit the bill. However, I am confused by the naming.
  • "Customs" have a set neck; "CE" a bolt on. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited September 2013
    Congrats! I really like the CEs.  I agree, the copper one looks ace.

GuitarMonkey said:
    "Customs" have a set neck; "CE" a bolt on. 
    Also, the Customs have a mahogany neck and the CEs have maple.  

@vasselmeyer - the PRS site has an overview of model history, here  http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/models.html
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    ICBM said:
    I love the copper one! The sunburst one is not my thing, but I'm sure it's nice.

Funnily enough I'm like you in that I can't get on with the 24-fret models at all - I wouldn't even own a PRS if that's all they made - and love the 22s. Such a big difference half an inch of neck length makes...
    I didn't realise PRS was one of those 'girl' guitar companies.

Think about it .......
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
    edited September 2013
    @vasselmeyer - the PRS site has an overview of model history, here  http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/models.html
    Very useful. Thanks for that. It looks to me as if Id be happiest with a Custom 22, a DGT or a McCarty. I'd prefer a wide-fat set neck but am ambivalent about a vibrato. I should probably get of my arse and go and look at a few.

Love the copper finish. Outstanding.
    edited September 2013
    I would try them all out first if possible. I was set on a McCarty or Custom with a stoptail, but when I played the custom I hated the neck. It almost felt hollow.
    I'd always thought of the CEs as 'not as good', but I soon had my opinion changed when I compared.
    They're perfect for me because they don't look like a guitar a dentist would hang in a glass case in his living room, and they play and sound awesome.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited September 2013
    If you played a new custom they've changed the necks since the CE days.  The old profiles were wide fat (which is possibly what is on your CE22s as they eventually made that the only option) and wide thin.  Most standard models used one or the other (CEs, Singlecuts, CUs etc).  Now they use Pattern Thin and Pattern Regular, which are evolutions of the original designs as far as I'm aware.

Usually you see the 22 fret models with the thicker of the two profiles and the 24 fret models with the thinner models, but there are examples of each with either.  Personally I think the old style wide fat on a 22 fret PRS is my favourite, they're very comfortable for my hands.

I do think there is a difference in feel between the mahogany set necks and the maple bolt ons too, all other things being equal.  You get a much more percussive and immediate attack with the maple bolt on CE.  It is worth trying both for sure if you can find a CE.  It is a shame they no longer make them.