N sort-of GD, a book recommendation and a shout-out

barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 628
edited February 2021 in Acoustics
Thought this might interest the wood fanciers of the forum…

I find it hard to get on with anything other than Strats, but over the years I've often had a different guitar to provide a distraction for the times I get bored of listening to myself or stuck in a rut – just something to keep the fingers moving.

I'd been looking for a suitable hollowbody for a while without success. At the same time, I was reading The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument That Helped Create a Guitar Giant, which rekindled my enthusiasm for ukes; I hadn't played one in maybe 20 years.

As much as I'm interested in the Martins, I don't generally love the sound of mahogany in a uke, and I've ended up with this mango tenor. Very sweet – never strident, and somehow instantly 'tropical' no matter how you tune it. Ebony bridge and fretboard, and unusual 'inset' frets.

It's made in Thailand by The Rebel, who had the good sense not to put the naff name on the headstock; there's an origami bird inlay instead, and that's it. It's extremely well put together.

Got it from the Southern Ukulele Store in Southbourne, who were excellent to deal with – a proper shop.

I keep picking it up for a few minutes, putting it down, and then picking it up again, so it's doing its job!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments