Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Singing

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33849
    edited September 2013
    I don't think of those as the only possibilities though,
    It isn't either heinous karaoke masquerading as pop music OR weak voiced folk warbling.

Look at a proper rock band like Soundgarden.
    Imagine them with a weak vocalist.
    Or Big Wreck. Ian Thornley's voice makes that band.
    Or Clutch- Neil Fallon isn't a technical singer but he has a massive voice and can emote- MAN can he emote.

All of those guys have worked hard on their voices- and more on having individual voices (although people say Thornley sounds a bit like Chris Cornell- he does in places but he is very much his own singer too).
    I know I can't compete with that and if I'm going to do something I want to do it well.
    I simply don't have the raw materials to do it.

Just IMHO- YMMV may vary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I can sing quite well I think, but I do notice that it very much depends what kind of mood I'm in.

Difficult to do it consistently I find.

• I'm a pretty confident backing singer but I'm also very confident I'm not a lead singer. I'd love to take the lead sometimes but my vocal tone just isn't great. Suits harmonies well though. I'd like to be somewhere vocally between Richie Sambora and Ritchie Kotzen.

I'm EXACTLY this. I get press-ganged into singing lead on occasion (or volunteer after a few ales) but it's never a good thing ;)
  • No idea.

I've fronted a few bands and really enjoyed it. But there is no doubt that singing skill drops off much quicker than instrument skill.

I haven't sung properly for a few years - I'd want a solid 6 months rehearsal time before hand!

the really weird thing is, I can sing and play guitar together really quite easily. But I can't play bass and sing at the same time to save my life.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10737
    edited September 2013 tFB Trader
    I'm getting pushed to do more vocals with my band ... and not really minding ... though I really thought I would! We have a really good front man/rhyrhum guitarist (with a bit of lead) who can hold the fort a bit while I concentrate on the singist-ing :) so things don't fall apart while I concentrate on hitting pitch. I've tried singing without a guitar in my hand and it's a no-go for me: I need that prop to hide behind.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I've always been the "second singer" in the bands I've been in.

I'm not good enough (or versatile enough) to sing a whole set, but I can do a couple. Well-picked when it comes to the key ;)

Some songs ("Something Wrong", "Next To Me") I've written especially for me to sing.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."