The Wong Kei

What's Hot
Just had some Chinese food delivered. Hmmm ; shredded chilli beef, chicken fried rice and seaweed (cabbage).

Which got me thinking about The Wong Kei in Wardour St.

I miss it - being shouted at, moved from the table, refused cutlery and general life threatening abuse. 

Definitely the best noodle soup in London.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    went there way back in the 80s. Personally I think it's a crap selling point, never went back. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Does that still exist?  Again, also went there a lot in the 80s.  Don’t treat it as a restaurant. It is good takeaway food, and they have benches to sit on with everyone else.  You don’t go up west to spend load of money and all your time in a restaurant.  It was in and out  .  Liked it a lot

• It is one of the worst places to eat in London, but I still frequently went there. And you can get a wholesome bowl of pork noodle soup in three minutes flat.

Definitely trading on the experience as a tourist attraction. A friend was over from Prague in the nineties (when the Czech crown didn’t go very far), and I think he went almost every day.

I was in it when it burnt down. An off duty policeman stood up and told us the restaurant was on fire and we had to leave. A waiter then told us to sit down, finish our food and pay the bill !!!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah I do miss it. Aromatic duck is delicious. 
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1513
    Things go Wong Kei after a whlle.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Yup - definitely an experience. Once.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I've had many an after work dinner there before a night out on the town. Good food and the most surreal service.

It was always great bringing someone new to the place with you and saying to them 'We need another chair. Grab that one from over there and bring it here' Or/ 'Are you not used to chopsticks? Ask for a fork' and chaos would descend!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, ‘an experience’ definitely sums it up. I think I learned what dishes were the good ones, and which to avoid.

I took Mrs 001 there on one of our early dates. She was vegan at the time, and was quite unimpressed !

When they re-opened, and in an attempt to actually have a conversation with one of the waiters, I said how good it was that they survived the fire. The waiter replied with ‘what fire ?’. I said - ‘the one last year’ and he looked me straight in the eye and said ‘there was no fire’.

I wasn’t going to argue !!
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    I’ve frequented a number of back street noodle bars in London. I went to one before a work meeting near the theatres and just as I was about to eat a large chopsticks full of noodles Christian slater walked in who was in a play nearby. I lost my concentration and dropped noodles all over my shirt. Had to keep my suit buttoned up in the meeting on a hot day  
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Avoid live music nights
    Everyone invariably plays in the Wong kei
  • sorefingasorefinga Frets: 36
    Personal favourite moment: my girlfriend and me where second on in the queue. Waiter pops his head round the corner and asks "Table for two?" The women in front of us are engrossed in conversation and don't hear him.

He yells "Oh, fuck off! Too Slow!" and drags us in instead.  :)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    At work we once had an overnight job in Lisle Street in Chinatown. The street was literally running with rats. I was very reluctant to eat anywhere in the area afterwards. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    One of our party asked the waiter what he would recommend teh reply was "I don't know. You the f%$king customer. You decide!"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3066
    edited March 2021
    I thought this thread was a casually racist comment on an Asian guitarist playing in C when everyone else was in A. 

Edit: and now I’ve read the entire page and seen someone else has already made that joke.  Sorry. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I went once when they were opening up for the day and all the staff were standing outside, they couldn't get in the locked door. Someone bought the Wong Kei.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    We had an excellent take-away that was unfortunately taken over by a new crew who probably trained at the Wong Kei.
    They're spectacularly rude and their food is like greasy turds.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    edited March 2021

I took Mrs 001 there on one of our early dates. She was vegan at the time, and was quite unimpressed !

Mrs 001!!..how many are there?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Didn't enoy being shouted at and treated as Quai Loh, there's plenty other good & cheap soup/noodle places in Soho.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1560
    PhilW1 said:

I took Mrs 001 there on one of our early dates. She was vegan at the time, and was quite unimpressed !

Mrs 001!!..how many are there?
    Ha ha - only the one !

But given I am well out of my league, and also suffer from Imposter Syndrome, it is probably only a matter of time before she sees sense.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    The good dishes were good and the staff always seemed to know who wanted the ‘schick’ and who just wanted to eat. Downstairs in the canteen section was always my favourite. Happy and much simpler times eh. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom