Earvana nuts for Gibsons?

What's Hot
ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
I recently bought an ltd hybrid that has an earvana nut it it plays amazingly.  
Any experiences using them on gibson? Thinking of geting them for my V and maybe  couple of LPs.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4172
    edited February 2021
    Paging @FelineGuitars

I had an EC1000 with an Earvana nut and I've spoken to Jonathan before about getting them fitted on my other guitars. Can't see any reason why it wouldn't work well on a V or Les Paul...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    edited February 2021 tFB Trader
    yes - i love what the Earvana does.we keep them in stock all the time and have fitted so many of them too.
    Les Pauls, SGs, Vs, 335s etc respond so well to them

Happy to discuss or you can look at them and buy here: https://felineguitars.com/collections/earvana-compensated-tuning-nut

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    That Hybrid 400 is a very in tune guitar, I was really impressed with it and the nut, plus it’s fretwork was top notch.  just recently had one fitted to a strat type guitar. 
    I can’t say if it’s made a noticeable difference on this guitar yet as I’ve only had a few minutes on it since getting back. 
    I’ll let you know. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4783
    Jon stuck an Earvana on my LP Standard, works great and makes the whole guitar more tuneful, if that's the right phrase?! It just sounds sweeter as a result. Can recommend them.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22794
    I've probably asked before and forgotten the answer, but I've never been sure if the Earvana nut would work with a non-adjustable wraparound bridge, like a hardtail PRS or Les Paul Jr?
    edited February 2021 tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    I've probably asked before and forgotten the answer, but I've never been sure if the Earvana nut would work with a non-adjustable wraparound bridge, like a hardtail PRS or Les Paul Jr?
    Yes it will work , but maybe not quite as completely as one where you can tweak the bridge intonation
    We have had lots of people buy them to fit on acoustics (wound 3rd versions)and said that even without bridge saddle adjustment open chords were so much better

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Got one fitted on all my electric guitars, fitted by yours truly. 2 are Les Paul's. One Epiphone standard and one Gibson studio. So much nicer when playing open chords and improves that sustain.
  • xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    I had an Earvana on my Les Paul Classic and I got rid of it because there wasn't enough travel in the ABR-1 to intonate the low E string properly once it was installed. I was using 11-49 in standard tuning at the time.
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
    edited March 2021 tFB Trader
    I had an Earvana on my Les Paul Classic and I got rid of it because there wasn't enough travel in the ABR-1 to intonate the low E string properly once it was installed. I was using 11-49 in standard tuning at the time.
    Sadly more a case of Gibson not putting their bridges in the right place - we often see problemson some Gibsons even without compensated tuning.
    The Gibson nashville bridge gives a bit more travel though

I wouldn't call the resulting intonation saddle line with an Earvana exactly radical though
    This is with 10s - with 11s the saddles may go back a bit.

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4783
    Mines 11-49, no issues on an Faber ABR1.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I like Earvana. Had one put on my Faded Standard, and I put them on all the guitars that I made for myself, and on the custom guitar that I had made for myself.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    yes - i love what the Earvana does.we keep them in stock all the time and have fitted so many of them too.
    Les Pauls, SGs, Vs, 335s etc respond so well to them

Happy to discuss or you can look at them and buy here: https://felineguitars.com/collections/earvana-compensated-tuning-nut0
    I've PMd you
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I’ve just fitted one to a Cort  Suhr  copy and it’s sorted out all the issues I had with the tuning. 
    I’ll be putting one of every guitar I have from now on. 
  • + Another big fan of Earvana nuts. The Feline lads have in the past expertly fitted them to my 79 Strat, 96 LP special TV, Mex Fender Esquire, and a MM Albert Lee (older pre comp nut model). All are much better guitars as a result. The LP special really came alive as a result. The most impressive change was the Mex Esquire though. Wouldn't be without it now. 
  • Good to hear the positive comments. My Les Paul Standard is with Feline right now and and an earvana nut has been installed, looking forward to seeing the difference it makes. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Spent the best part of 5 hours making an earvana copy (from the one on my es330) for my LPJ.

Added a radiused section of bone from a saddle blank to the current nut:

Shapinggggg

Not worth the time cost ratio TBH but this guitar finally sounds in tune on open chords, especially an open E.

Am thinking of colouring in the extension bit.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    Anyone tried an Earvana on a Gibson with a Bigsby? 
    tFB Trader
    Anyone tried an Earvana on a Gibson with a Bigsby? 
    Will work fine and be about as hardwearing as a Tusq nut .
    Well cut slots and Nut Sauce is the secret

• ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    I like Earvana nuts. I have them on both Gibsons, and on a guitar with a Bigsby ---- fine on all of them.
  • 60cycles60cycles Frets: 72
    What material is it from if i may ask?
    Noticed it can come in different colours, which inevitably begs the question.