Suggestion for consideration, a personal folder of whatever interests you.

What's Hot
There are sections for Guitars, Amps, Off Topic etc.  I suggest that each user have a personal folder that only includes posts that interest them or are useful.  Posts like 'how to string a guitar' or 'replacing pickups' crop up regularly but can be hard to find when/if you need them.  What I suggest is another flag on posts, that when selected, the post is added to the personal folder.  That way, when you need to know something and it has been posted on the forum, you can see it quickly.

If this option is possible, it would take the pressure off in writing a new search app for the forum. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    You can “bookmark” a thread by clicking on the star above and to the right of the first post. It will then appear in the “my bookmarks” link. 

I think that achieves what you suggested?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    drofluf said:
    You can “bookmark” a thread by clicking on the star above and to the right of the first post. It will then appear in the “my bookmarks” link. 

I think that achieves what you suggested?
    That’s just for following with continuous updates. Instead, this would include all those handy or interesting threads that are not regularly updated.  For instance, posting images. I’d lose my mind if I received continuous notifications. But the thread remains of interest. 
  • Bookmarking on the forum is really a subscription. I liked the old forum functionality where you got one email notification per thread...then no more until you visited again. These days, I zap it all with an email filter/rule.

Quick solution is just to bookmark what you want to refer to later in your browser. On Chrome, if you create the bookmark with a meaningful name, it comes up when you start typing in the search bar. If you sync your bookmarks to your account, they're available anywhere you want them.

Regarding search: try using Google to do the heavy lifting. For example, search Google for
    site:www.thefretboard.co.uk digitalkettle sotm
    and you get all my mentions on 'solo of the month' threads (too late to vote for me this month ;) ).
    To save remembering what to type each time:
    - create your own search term
    - save it as a bookmark
    - recall the bookmark when you need it again
    - change the words you're searching for

• RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Thanks @drofluf, what you suggest is along the lines of what I need.  There is still a lot to learn about this forum and technology in general.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum