Can you recommended a decent wireless IEM system

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I've said it before and I'll say it again until I'm blue in the face. Cheap wireless kit is a false economy and a used Sennheiser G3 kit isn't that much more costly than a brand new cheaper alternative. I wouldn't take anything lower spec than G3 or Shure PSM300. You don't have to spend £800 on a G4 setup. Just get on eBay or the Facebook pro audio sales groups and grab a used G3. Prices can vary drastically but I've seen them as low as £250 on occasion. 

PhilM said:
    So, the testing of the U508 happened a little later than planned - Gear4Music sent me an EU unit with an EU PSU, so had to wait a week and a bit while I explained (twice) that they'd shipped me the incorrect unit with an unusable PSU, and that I'd like the correct one sent to me FOC. They eventually sent me some universal PSU  :#

Anyhoo, there's only one thing I can fault so far, and that's this odd "pssshhhhht" noise at the start of any passage of sound.

Totally unnoticeable with music, but with isolated vocals and speech it sounds very much like a snare rattling in the room. I'm not a novice when it comes to RF stuff (I work with RFID in my day job) but no combo of transmit power, channel, frequency or squelch seems to shift this. Adding high cut and chopping high end out on the mixer bus doesn't change it, and if I plug the in-ears direct into the headphone out on the transmitter the noise isn't there - which leads me to think it's in the RF side or in the receiver pack. One of the reviews mentions a poor noise floor and I wonder if it is related to that?  

This kit will mostly be used by our singer and I'm worried it'll put her off. She has used wireless IEMs before but doesn't recall noticing this noise. Is this just "how it is" with the lower end of the market, fixable only by spending £500 more on Senheiser G4s? I'm probably crazy contemplating spending £800+ on IEMs that'll mostly be used by someone else, but as the guitar player/sound engineer for the band, her monitoring presents me with the biggest headache after our over-loud drummer. And no amount of money will fix him  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    We’ve got both LD and Sennheiser. Can’t remember which models. The Senn is less harsh, and much easier to listen to. It also has a higher headroom, and whereas the LD goes to mush if I have to turn it up because the bass player has got too loud.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom