Blues fingerstyle, or ragtime fingerstyle tunes/repertoire ideas

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
any ideas of sources of repertoire? 

As I can't sing then it's fingerstyle tunes.  Intermediate preferred - I'm probably upper intermediate (grade 8/9 on a good day but a little out of practice) but I wan't some easier material that doesn't take months to perfect.  I've got some books by Rick Payne which have fairly short studies in them and I've just learned on of the rag tunes which is enjoyable

muchas gracias
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Truefire cover this pretty well: https://truefire.com/educators/david-hamburger/e48
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 665
    I'm a big fan of Griff Hamlin and his website "blues guitar unleashed". There are two courses I've been using for a couple of years now and can recommend. First try "acoustic blues guitar unleashed" subtitled playing on the porch style blues, then try "how to jam the blues alone on your guitar". His video lessons are excellent. They're not free, but are very good value for money.
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    Truefire cover this pretty well: https://truefire.com/educators/david-hamburger/e48
    Saw the thread title and came in to post this. Specifically David Hamburger's "New School Fingerstyle Blues" course sounds like a good fit here: https://truefire.com/acoustic-guitar-lessons/new-school-blues/c18 - I really enjoyed learning a number of the pieces, and they've stayed in my repertoire for a few years now.
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    thanks folks for the ideas - I have a truefire sub so i'll have a look at the hamburger suggestion - I know his name from somewhere....I'll also have a bugchers at Griff @BluesLover thanks.  All I need to do is find a tune that I like, the tab and audio and it's happy days (many generally)
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    Yep - Griff Hamlin and David Hamburger would be my two recommendations.
    Call me Dave.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1577
    Worth taking a look at Toby Walkers website too, he’s got some really good lessons and has regular sales. I’ve just worked through his Piedmont blues songs, fancy a bit of Robert Johnson next. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Look up the early blues guys who were filmed in the 60s revival, plenty of ideas and material there
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    The book “Fingerstyle Blues Songbook” by Steve James has tonnes of great material in it. 
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Duck Baker’s Fingerstyle Blues 101 (book) has a variety of excellent pieces in it, The RGT graded them between grades 5 and 8.  IIRC there’s one tune at each of grades 5 and 6, 2 or 3 at grade 7 and a few at grade 8.

• Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 170
    There's loads in here under the tabs section.  Some are really good.  
    Acoustic Fingerstyle Guitar Page
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I have some really good DVDs(!) from The Guitar Workshop with Stefan Grossman.  I'm sure they're on some kind of digital download service somewhere. They're superb and if you're advanced you could drop into the middle of the classes.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 742
    edited March 2021
    Take a look at musicnoteslib.com and search Blind Blake, Elizabeth Cotten, Etta Baker, Stefan Grossman, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Skip James, Blind Boy Fuller, Mike Seeger, W C Handy, Jackson C Frank. (P.S. re vassels's entry above - a lot of Stefan Grossman's stuff is actually from Rev Gary Davis, of whom he was a student.)

Much more. Surprisingly good Blues/Ragtime(-ish) pieces from the likes of e.g Joan Baez, James Taylor.

From your OP my first stop would be Elizabeth Cotten. Some wonderful Piedmont Blues classics of moderate difficulty but much beauty.

On the Musicnoteslib.com website only select the GuitarPro scores. Other scores are just simple chordal tabs or piano scores. It's a really great source to mine. I'm still finding stuff after several years! All free and easy to print off .pdf option.

(Gift idea. Not Blues/Ragtime but take a look at 'Kiss The Rain' by Korean composer Yiruma. One of the most beautiful pieces for acoustic I've found this year.)

Have fun                                        3
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    I almost feel like I should reply in a fake down home onna porch drawl to this thread now.  Starting at the top I had a look at David Hamburger and his new fingerstyle blues course - and that's where I stopped as there are some lovely tunes and some good explanations of why certain shapes and positions are being played.  So I haven't got to look at the rest yet otherwise i'll have a brain fart from information overload.

I'm going to start with his excellent course.

thankee folks (american drawl)
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    I wrote a little ragtime piece for a student of mine.
    I’ve probably got some rough tab for it somewhere if you like it enough to learn.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLv5A8jHogz/

Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/