Advice required ~ Pots /caps?

What's Hot
DougDoug Frets: 172
edited July 2014 in Making & Modding
As above, looking for advice regarding specific volume and tone pots required for my @GSPBasses LP DC Special build. Having bought a pair of Gibson reissue '61 Humbuckers from that fine fella @ESchap on here and decided on one volume + one tone + 3 way switch, I know I need 500k pots but more detailed info appreciated from thems in the know, ~ audio/linear wtf!?, CTS/ALPHA etc, I've already got the CTS jack btw. Also what value cap do I need for these pickups?

Cheers

Doug.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited July 2014
    There was a couple of threads a few moths ago about the different pots available.  Bournes pots got good reviews and I've personally used them and found them very good.  To be honest though I prefer the CTS pots Bare Knuckle sell.  They have a really nice level of resistance and the audio taper is very good.  They are 550K.  As far as cap values are concerned you could use anything from 0.015uF up to 0.033uF with Humbuckers.  Really depends on the pickups, tone roll off you want and whether you wire it 50's or modern style as that has an influence on how the cap interacts in the circuit. Log or Audio taper is a matter of choice, classically you would use audio taper, particularly if you go for the 50's wiring.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Thanks for the info @ESchap
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    @ICBM is the man to ask - IIRC his first post on MusicRadar was about pots and contrary to recieved wisdom, he was bang on.

Audio taper for tone pots sounds good.
    He also has a set of different cap values for neck and bridge pickups that worked for me.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?