Eastman E10 OO M & pick up

I have the chance of buying one of these 2nd hand at what seems a very reasonable price. Has anyone experience of this guitar or its close relatives.

Feedback appreciated.

By the by, what would be your recommended pick up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @TheMadMick These are beautiful small body guitars and (even though I'm slightly bias as an Eastman Dealer) the build quality is excellent. I'd recommend a K&K Pure Mini pickup as they give a great natural sound.  
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Try it first if possible but doubt you can go wrong.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    By the by, what would be your recommended pick up?
    Dearmond 210 and a Fender Twin
  • McSwaggertyMcSwaggerty Frets: 661
    I have owned an E10P for about 5 years.... Brilliant little guitar.
    I don't think you will be disappointed.... 
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    I recently bought one of these (picture in the recent 12 fretter thread).

I like it but am not a great authority on acoustics (or much else) so I can't say if it's better or worse than the competition. (I suppose that, as an all mahogany 12 fretter, there isn't that much competition.)

I love the look and sound of the all-mahogany Martins but found the ones I tried to be quite badly set up. The Eastman plays really nicely (at least for my tastes) but I can't say if it sounds any better or worse than the Martin guitars as I tried them a couple of years ago. The Eastman was a lot cheaper though!

The only drawback for me is that they're very flamed/figured and the lacquer is very glossy.  I suppose it's quite spectacular if you like that sort of thing but in my tiny mind a small bodied, 'hog top suits a more subdued look to go along with the "vintage Americana" vibe.

Mine has a K&K mini pickup fitted. I believe these are considered to be good but I've nothing else to compare it with. The direct sound is pretty grim but I believe that's the case with most acoustic pickups.

Sorry if this is all rather vague but I'm guessing there aren't too many of these about so felt honour bound to say something.
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    Thanks to all for your feedback. I dredged this board and, although a good proportion of the content was in arch tops, there were 2 main threads which is why I asked the question:

a) these guitars are nothing like (Insert your own favourite brand) and will not resell well (not concerned about reselling)

b) these are the greatest thing since sliced bread and very reasonably priced.

I took a listen on Youtube and was impressed. The tone was as good as my reference guitar, a Taylor 522, and the only thing I would have liked was a slotted headstock - but that's cosmetic.

If I can do a decent deal, I may have a new guitar soon. Watch this space.