Original bands - ever think of just giving up?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Left my last originals band in 2017, as I had enough of how little progress we were making in the previous 2 years. No new songs written, struggling to get together to practice and no clear plan of what we'd be doing in the next 6 months. I ended up playing with my friend's band and helping them out as a backline tech at shows whenever I wasn't playing. That lasted 2 years and I haven't been in a band since. I still want to play in one but whether it'll be an originals one I don't know. Having to put everything into a project that depends on 4 other people is a big commitment and the way things are its probably not the best time to be in a band right now. I do guitar tuition and it still means I get to play guitar but its not the same as rocking on stage with your friends. Do I miss it? Yes. Do I want to put all my time and money into a project that might not get anywhere? Maybe not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    My last originals band broke up in 2000. I still think of getting another together as I never stopped working on new things despite not actually really recording anything.

But I can't be arsed. I haven't really sang since then. I've been diagnosed COPD and lost the spark writing lyrics. I'd much rather hide at the back of the cover band and play bass.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    edited March 2021
    Rowby1 said:
    TTBZ said:
    Rowby1 said:
    Okay, just get out and get some gigs doing mostly covers, chuck in a few originals from time to time and see how they go down. Just enjoy the gigs.....
    As in your typical pub cover gig?
    No, I mean good pub gigs in pubs known for live music where people go along specifically to hear live music. 

Avoid chain pubs where you'll be booked to make background noise for the pissed up idiots. I've no time for any of that either.

Ah got it - unfortunately there aren't many round here like that any more so maybe distain for the covers scene is a bit more location specific. That and every cover band plays the exact same set list without exception. I have tried to do a cover band that plays a slightly different/less obvious and more up to date set, but eventually someone says "why don't we just do summer of 69, it's easier and goes down well!" and then everyone agrees and the set becomes generic again. Always think of those sort of bands as the place ambition goes to die
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    TTBZ said:
    Rowby1 said:
    TTBZ said:
    Rowby1 said:
    Okay, just get out and get some gigs doing mostly covers, chuck in a few originals from time to time and see how they go down. Just enjoy the gigs.....
    As in your typical pub cover gig?
    No, I mean good pub gigs in pubs known for live music where people go along specifically to hear live music. 

Avoid chain pubs where you'll be booked to make background noise for the pissed up idiots. I've no time for any of that either.

Ah got it - unfortunately there aren't many round here like that any more so maybe distain for the covers scene is a bit more location specific. That and every cover band plays the exact same set list without exception. I have tried to do a cover band that plays a slightly different/less obvious and more up to date set, but eventually someone says "why don't we just do summer of 69, it's easier and goes down well!" and then everyone agrees and the set becomes generic again. Always think of those sort of bands as the place ambition goes to die
    Yes, the rule in both my covers bands are everyone has the right of veto over the songs on the set list. We play stuff we all like and try to avoid the obvious unless we’re desperately short of material to fill the time :)
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    I can't believe there are still people young enough to be out in pubs drinking who want to hear shite like sweet Caroline..
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    We tried doing a split set of originals and covers for a while of 90s/2000s era alt rock and metal...was pretty fun and got us some decent gigs. When we lost a member we never brought the repertoire back with the new guy though
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    I can't believe there are still people young enough to be out in pubs drinking who want to hear shite like sweet Caroline..
    I have to admit this song is on the set list for my new covers band project, along with the usual 21st century floor-fillers. So I guess there are!
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3659
    Keefy said:
    I have to admit this song is on the set list for my new covers band project, along with the usual 21st century floor-fillers. So I guess there are!
    There definitely are punters of all ages out there who love it (or at least there were in 2019).  It's one of those songs that I just don't get.  I play it in one of my bands and it always goes down well, maybe because it's tacked onto the very end of the set as a third encore which we only play if the audience is completely pissed and won't let us go.

I try no to be sniffy about it.  If non of us enjoyed it then we'd drop it but, if someone in the band likes it, then you need to be prepared to 'take one for the team' now and then and they can return the favour on something that you enjoy.