Great live performances you just weren't expecting to like

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9697
    Another Tom Jones post here. Didn’t really want to be there but he put on a fantastic show, everyone knew all the songs, great atmosphere, etc, etc.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Leo Sayer and David Essex spring to mind, both had that extra something in their stage presence to take the audience wherever they wanted them to go

Ps don’t bother going to YouTube you had to be there!
    I remember seeing David Essex years ago in Yeovil, I agree he was very entertaining...
  • Wet, Wet, Wet at Bournemouth when  The ‘High on the happy side’ album was topping the charts. Marty Pellow was totally engaging and the band were really tight with superb harmonies. 
  • LogieLogie Frets: 444
    edited April 2021
    I went with my wife to see Pink on her Funhouse tour with a few other couples. It was really just a jolly boys outing but she was absolutely outstanding. Best performer I've ever seen live bar none. She came on singing Highway to Hell and managed to squeeze in a proper full version of Bohemian Rhapsody. None of this " turn rock songs into pop " bollocks.
     Her own songs translate really well live as well even though they're not exactly my thing.
    She's got a proper rock voice and her duet with Justin Derrico for Babe, I'm gonna leave you was easily one of the best 7 minutes in my gig life.

Another treat for my Stranglers obsessed wife was going with her to see Hugh Cornwell at a small gig in Swindon. Three piece, songs totally stripped back and when he shuffled down the stairs onto the stage he looked about 90. As soon as he strapped his Tele on and the band started he came alive and we were rapt. 

Went to see Peter Hammill at Newcastle City Hall years ago just to use up a spare ticket my mate had. He turned up with an electric violinist and the two of them played a belter luckily.

Roy Orbison at the Sunderland Empire around 1976. My mam wanted some company and I'm very glad I went. A wonderful voice singing great songs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Crowded house. 
    Never liked them but saw them supporting Peter Gabriel and they just blew me away.
    Amazing band.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5175
    Sting in Majorca in a Bullring....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    Logie said:
    I went with my wife to see Pink on her Funhouse tour with a few other couples. It was really just a jolly boys outing but she was absolutely outstanding. Best performer I've ever seen live bar none. She came on singing Highway to Hell and managed to squeeze in a proper full version of Bohemian Rhapsody. None of this " turn rock songs into pop " bollocks.
     Her own songs translate really well live as well even though they're not exactly my thing.
    She's got a proper rock voice and her duet with Justin Derrico for Babe, I'm gonna leave you was easily one of the best 7 minutes in my gig life
    Took my stepdaughters to that Pink tour, great show, top production and wonderful band. She's one hell of a performer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Saw Cliff Richard a few times with the wife back in the day as she used to be a big fan. In all fairness he puts on a very good show, and Hank Marvin was playing with him one time. 

Saw his no1 hits tour. Not many artists could do a 2 hour show of all no 1 hits. No 2 - forget it!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3913
    I was reluctantly dragged along to a Level 42 gig a couple of years back. It was right up there with one of the best live performances I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot!) They're such showmen and Mark King is a particularly amazing musician. I've become a bit of a fan ever since.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom