DAW for android?

I'm not after anything fancy and a super simple free one (or cheap) would be fine. Basically looking to plug the nux mighty plug into my phone and record ideas, as apparently it works as a simple audio interface via USB!

Any recommendations? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Doesn't work with ios. £15 on a converter cable wasted. Thanks for being completely non-standard with everything else, apple!

So I'll see if I can get it plugged into android. If not, it might be a pc only thing. 
  • onyironyir Frets: 46
    I've used Audio Evolution mobile on Android and works fine, but I think you need to purchase the option to record and play to usb devices (it wasn't that expensive, though). It comes with some fx and you can buy more from the app.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4855
    edited March 2021
    Doesn't work with ios. £15 on a converter cable wasted. Thanks for being completely non-standard with everything else, apple!

So I'll see if I can get it plugged into android. If not, it might be a pc only thing. 
    I don't know what converter cable you bought, but at that price, if it was new, I'd guess it wasn't an Apple one. If you buy an official Apple USB3 converter cable, it takes a USB A plug from whatever USB device you're connecting to, converts it to a Lightning feed into your iOS device and just works. 

I've used mine to connect several USB-connected audio interfaces, USB thumb drives, a Headrush Gigboard (to back it up). The only thing it won't let me do is use a USB hard disk drive - because the iOS device can't supply enough power to start it spinning. 

Might be worth a try? 
  • Doesn't work with ios. £15 on a converter cable wasted. Thanks for being completely non-standard with everything else, apple!

I don't know what converter cable you bought, but at that price, if it was new, I'd guess it wasn't an Apple one. If you buy an official Apple USB3 converter cable, it takes a USB A plug from whatever USB device you're connecting to, converts it to a Lightning feed into your iOS device and just works. 

I've used mine to connect several USB-connected audio interfaces, USB thumb drives, a Headrush Gigboard (to back it up). The only thing it won't let me do is use a USB hard disk drive - because the iOS device can't supply enough power to start it spinning. 

Might be worth a try? 

Not official, no, but it does claim to do the same job. The ipad knows something is there, but doesn't know what it is. Maybe I'll try it if I can get into a store and try before I buy.

I might just get one of those irig type things and hook it up via that, but it's not essential... 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10508
    If the NUX supports standard USB 2 audio stream then an iPhone camera adapter will work, that's what I use when doing YT videos. I normally use a little USB mixer as I have a mic connected as well but will try the Nux and camera adapter myself is i get time this week. 

You need to be careful with non genuine Apple cables and convertors. Inside every genuine lighting port adapter is a little chip which negotiates with a chip on the phone / iPad, motherboard and identifies it's self and voltage regulation is handed over if all is well. This chip is sold pre configured on the end slice of a lighting port connector to people who want to build approved accessories for a few dollars. To avoid paying this fee to Apple the manufacturers of the cheap non approved accessories put it a chip with enough code to be falsely  recognised and (sometimes) work but that critical safety feature is left out . Meaning a £10 accessory can kill an £800 phone. 

I'm really tight myself but never use non genuine Apple stuff because I know how the system works and why certain things have to be there. It's annoying they mark it up so much though for sure. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7504
    edited March 2021
    Danny1969 said:
    If the NUX supports standard USB 2 audio stream then an iPhone camera adapter will work, that's what I use when doing YT videos. I normally use a little USB mixer as I have a mic connected as well but will try the Nux and camera adapter myself is i get time this week. 

You need to be careful with non genuine Apple cables and convertors. Inside every genuine lighting port adapter is a little chip which negotiates with a chip on the phone / iPad, motherboard and identifies it's self and voltage regulation is handed over if all is well. This chip is sold pre configured on the end slice of a lighting port connector to people who want to build approved accessories for a few dollars. To avoid paying this fee to Apple the manufacturers of the cheap non approved accessories put it a chip with enough code to be falsely  recognised and (sometimes) work but that critical safety feature is left out . Meaning a £10 accessory can kill an £800 phone. 

I'm really tight myself but never use non genuine Apple stuff because I know how the system works and why certain things have to be there. It's annoying they mark it up so much though for sure. 

Maybe I'll give it a go.

Tbh though, apple can suck it for being completely non-standard and incompatible with everything. I don't know why consumers put up with it. Maybe I'll find one second hand.