What paints to do a detailed illustration on a body?

What's Hot
What paints could I use to paint a detailed illustration on a body? I was going to get a custom wrap of my own design to go on a bass body, but I can't find anywhere in the UK to get it produced, so I'm now thinking that I may just hand paint it on. Has anyone done any hand painting of a body? I'm wondering which paints to use and what spray can lacquer.

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    The Monetary pop colour graphics on my Strat were using model paint I got from a Warhammer type shop.

The black parts were sprayed on using an inverted vinyl templated I had made, they were then lacquered over with nitro, if that's of any help at all :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Posca (or similar) pens might also be an option? 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Look at the createx range of paints.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Posca pens are great, available in loads of colours and you can lacquer over them, can get a bit pricey though...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• @paulnb57  I was wondering whether you have any experience with posca pens on bare wood? I am planning on using a posca pen on the headstock of my PRS style project; it’s an ebony veneer.

I’m not sure yet whether I can draw straight onto the wood, then spray a cellulose sanding sealer before lacquering, or whether I should first spray a sealer then draw, then seal again.
    @paulnb57  I was wondering whether you have any experience with posca pens on bare wood? I am planning on using a posca pen on the headstock of my PRS style project; it’s an ebony veneer.

I’m not sure yet whether I can draw straight onto the wood, then spray a cellulose sanding sealer before lacquering, or whether I should first spray a sealer then draw, then seal again.
    Id be inclined to seal it with a coat of clear first, just in case of a cock up, but ebony being pretty dense Im pretty sure it would work if you want to risk it...I was going to do the same on my SG project which is also ebony veneer....I think if it were something like pine (unlikely I know, but Ive had a couple of Gins and cant think of anything else) the Posca would soak in and make sanding and redoing difficult.....
    Im now going to give Gold Leaf a go....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm looking to paint rather than use pens or airbrush (Createx look like airbrush paints)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Slightly off topic, but I suspect that Posca pens direct to wood would be fine right up until you hit a tiny split/pore (less likely on ebony, to be sure) and then the paint would wick along the 'crack' and be very obvious. I would go with the seal it first suggestion. Also (having just used Posca on pedal enclosures for the first time), the paint from them is fairly thick, and would take a fair amount of clear coat to cover.

To OP - I am no artist, but I also suspect it depends entirely on what the illustration is, and what type of paint you are comfortable using. And always do a test run first :)

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I decorated a guitar with Posca, it was pretty smooth and it was no trouble to lacquer over....

• FlipFlip Frets: 68
    @paulnb57  I was wondering whether you have any experience with posca pens on bare wood? I am planning on using a posca pen on the headstock of my PRS style project; it’s an ebony veneer.

I hope this isn't too old but I always 'sign' the headstocks my homebuilds to avoid any question of passing off. I use 0.7mm Posca pens, on to two coats of clear gloss than, when dry do another couple to seal it. Never a problem.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I though that the tradditional material was Patti Boyd’s nail polish?