Killdry

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
Heard about this for the first time on another forum, really not getting it for an amp with a simple parallel  send and return. Surely for it to work you’ll need a mix function on the return of the fx loop, and therefor you just use the mix knob on the pedal?. 
I understand it’s use on a mixing desk and even guitar rack set ups but for guitar amp pedals surely it’s kings new clothes territory?
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The more killdry becomes the norm, the happier I'll be - even on pedals. I don't understand the problem?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    If you want the best delay sound, then parallel mixing via a killdry is a brilliant way of making the echo sound lusher.

Simply put, you keep the core signal unprocessed and remix with repeats at the end.

Some pedals (Cornish TES) do this internally with no need for something like a wetbox to remix.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited April 2021
    I get what your saying, but doesn’t an ordinary pedal take the incoming signal, split it then add the effects and combine the two signals on the output via the wet/dry knob?

And if you split the signal via a parallel send and return loop, the affected signal on when it returns will need some sort of level/mix control. 

I assume for it to work you are going to need to use a stereo rig 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The more killdry becomes the norm, the happier I'll be - even on pedals. I don't understand the problem?
    I don't understand the thread?!?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    For digital delay I don't like any dry signal because the AD / DA conversion in the delay introduces a very slight delay which means a slight phase shift and results in a less focussed sound. So I do use the wet / dry on the pedal and rely on the entire signal going through the pedal 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I get what your saying, but doesn’t an ordinary pedal take the incoming signal, split it then add the effects and combine the two signals on the output via the wet/dry knob?

And if you split the signal via a parallel send and return loop, the affected signal on when it returns will need some sort of level/mix control. 

I assume for it to work you are going to need to use a stereo rig 
    Some do, some don't

The benefit of mixing is you keep the core signal away from digitization

• Gassage said:
    If you want the best delay sound, then parallel mixing via a killdry is a brilliant way of making the echo sound lusher.

Simply put, you keep the core signal unprocessed and remix with repeats at the end.

Some pedals (Cornish TES) do this internally with no need for something like a wetbox to remix.

Even a boss dd-2 works like this I think - completely untouched signal + the repeats. @ICBM? ;
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    Heard about this for the first time on another forum, really not getting it for an amp with a simple parallel  send and return. Surely for it to work you’ll need a mix function on the return of the fx loop, and therefor you just use the mix knob on the pedal?. 
    I understand it’s use on a mixing desk and even guitar rack set ups but for guitar amp pedals surely it’s kings new clothes territory?

Not necessarily. Your parallel loop will have unaffected dry signal on one side and 100% wet on the other.

If your FX Loop doesn't have a mix function, the volume of the effect effectively becomes the mix.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Is it possible to set up something that gives the kill dry function with a delay pedal that doesn't come with it built in?

I'm guessing no, because you'd need to somehow separate the original signal from the repeats, and then "duck" the original.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited April 2021
    clarkefan said:
    Is it possible to set up something that gives the kill dry function with a delay pedal that doesn't come with it built in?

I'm guessing no, because you'd need to somehow separate the original signal from the repeats, and then "duck" the original.

I Lehle Parallel SW ii is one of the best units you can buy to do this, but other pedals exist. This would only work if you can set the delay mix to 100%.

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • cathodynecathodyne Frets: 24
    edited April 2021
    Sassafras said:
    The more killdry becomes the norm, the happier I'll be - even on pedals. I don't understand the problem
    I don't understand the thread…
    I wasn’t sure what "Kill Dry" referred to either.  I found this explanation helpful though: https://neunaber.net/blogs/neunaber-audio-blog/why-kill-dry 

EDIT: Hmmm, maybe you understood exactly what Kill Dry is, but don't understand what people are writing in the thread.  Apologies if I misunderstood.
    clarkefan said:

Depends. On some stereo pedals you can do it by shoving a dummy plug in the B send.
    Here's a list a few pals of mine created in 2012- you can add a fair few to it.

Boss DD-2 (with dummy plug)
    Boss DD-3
    TC Electronics Nova Delay
    Boss DD20 giga Delay
    MXR Delay system II
    TC D-two
    Line 6 Echo Park
    Line 6 DL4
    Empress Super Delay
    Diamond Memory Lane
    Eventide Timefactor
    Yamaha UD stomp
    Skreddy Echo
    TC 2290
    Skrydstrup DDL Custom Delay
    Providence Delay 80 (with dummy plug)
    EHX Deluxe Memory Man
    Ibanez DE7
    TC Nova Repeater
    Providence Ch

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    cathodyne said:
    Sassafras said:
    The more killdry becomes the norm, the happier I'll be - even on pedals. I don't understand the problem
    I don't understand the thread…
    I wasn’t sure what "Kill Dry" referred to either.  I found this explanation helpful though: https://neunaber.net/blogs/neunaber-audio-blog/why-kill-dry 

EDIT: Hmmm, maybe you understood exactly what Kill Dry is, but don't understand what people are writing in the thread.  Apologies if I misunderstood.
    Nope, you were right first time. I didn't know what killdry meant until just now.
    I've got no experience of stereo set-ups.
    clarkefan said:

I Lehle Parallel SW ii is one of the best units you can buy to do this, but other pedals exist. This would only work if you can set the delay mix to 100%.

Thank you, I'll check it out :)
    Gassage said:
    clarkefan said:

Depends. On some stereo pedals you can do it by shoving a dummy plug in the B send.
    Here's a list a few pals of mine created in 2012- you can add a fair few to it.

Boss DD-2 (with dummy plug)
    Boss DD-3
    TC Electronics Nova Delay
    Boss DD20 giga Delay
    MXR Delay system II
    TC D-two
    Line 6 Echo Park
    Line 6 DL4
    Empress Super Delay
    Diamond Memory Lane
    Eventide Timefactor
    Yamaha UD stomp
    Skreddy Echo
    TC 2290
    Skrydstrup DDL Custom Delay
    Providence Delay 80 (with dummy plug)
    EHX Deluxe Memory Man
    Ibanez DE7
    TC Nova Repeater
    Providence Ch
    This is interesting, thanks for the list!  I'll look into the stereo out thing, appreciate it :)