Princeton Clone

PrincetonyPrincetony Frets: 2
Always seduced by a bit of tweed and in search of vintage tone from my tele I found this Princeton Clone valve amp.

http://www.honkin-harmonica-shop.co.uk/honkin-toms-super-chump-amplifier/

Although marketed as a harmonica amplifier it seems like the real deal. Anybody here tried one? Sounds remarkebly good for the price?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

I would have my doubts. There must be a lot of corners cut to get it to that price point. I just built a Princeton based on the same 5f2a circuit and it cost way more!

Remember that changes are often made to the 5f2a circuit including adding a choke to make it suit harp better. Won't necessarily make it useless for guitar but it's geared up for harp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It looks like it's only the lo gain tube swap that makes it a harp amp by all accounts, the circuit is the same.

I found a tone demo on youtube. Not my style of playing but it sounds all there.

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    I bought one a while back from this seller for use in the house and I love it. Great clean sound and I use a Joyo British Sound pedal to get my overdrive tones.

Never had an ounce of bother with it.
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    Demo of the amp here.
  • Actually, this looks slightly better option for the guitar palyer doing the same kinda thing. This one has a biggerand better speaker than the 8"Champ clone in the sound clip and this is another Princeton clone by the looks of it. Rectifier valves are not in a Champ are they?

http://juketone.co.uk/product/juketone-royal-blood-10-guitar-amplifier/

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 634
    If you want an even cheaper hand wired (in China) valve amp, check out the VHT Special 6 or Special 6 Ultra. AFAIK they're based on the Champ rather than the princeton but have 10" speaker (12" for the ultra.)
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Rectifier valves are not in a Champ are they?

They do indeed have them. 5Y3.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8566
    Actually, this looks slightly better option for the guitar palyer doing the same kinda thing. This one has a biggerand better speaker than the 8"Champ clone in the sound clip and this is another Princeton clone by the looks of it. Rectifier valves are not in a Champ are they?

http://juketone.co.uk/product/juketone-royal-blood-10-guitar-amplifier/

I'm pretty sure they are one and the same amp, the juke tone and the honkin-harmonica. Looks good value but both Chinese OEM stock by the looks of it.
  • PrincetonyPrincetony Frets: 2
    edited January 2015
    It crossed my mind to that it might be the same thing too, still, if it works for both. And yes what a great price, especially if you don't mind putting in a few reviews and stuff and you get £15 back. I don't see anybody else offering these kind of incentives.