Wilkinson Locking Saddles - different usage - advice/thoughts

What's Hot
[deep breath] let's get the boilerplate comments about this stuff out of the way first.

I own an 1984 Strat, yes the freeflyte trem is s**t, a Kahler might be a good option, it's currently a hardtail, no they aren't worth much.

The problem with the freeflyte isn't the knife edge pivot that provides unparalleled connectivity to the body, or it's looks .. or even the creepy chrome trem arm tip.. in my opinion it's the trap for the ball-ends - it was designed for Fender Bullet ball ends and anything else dances about and detunes (for me)

So I wondered about fitting offset Wilkinson locking saddles - that'd remediate the problem! Except they only do right handed offset saddles... and the freeflyte'd need 3 offset one way and 3 the other... 

Would it be worth getting it for 3 saddles? or worth trying to contact Wilkinson? Only some of their lines work for lefties... the way I figure it, if it offers the freeflyte a reprieve, lefties could get offset saddles, freeflyte owners could get a tremolo on their guitar... 

Alternatively I could see if I can get a local engineer to mill me a set.. 

Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Thoughts...

1. The Wilkinson saddles won't work because they're closed at the back - they would need to be open or you won't be able to get the ball ends into the slots.

2. You can't polish a turd :).

2a. You probably need to bite the bullet and fit a Kahler. These also come with a (possibly even more) creepy chrome arm tip!

2b. Or replace the body with a normal Strat one and a standard bridge. This might even be the cheapest option... there's a Fender Mexican Standard body on Ebay just now complete with the bridge and jack plate (the only other bits you need) for about £150.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    1. Good point.
    2. :( good point too... although I can roll it in glitter.
    2a. I'd need to reacquaint myself with the trem first - not used one since 1993! Seem to recal lthem being okay.
    3. Done this once already - got a US import Strat body... hmm might go for this option. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom