TC electronics G system

What's Hot
alanohaganalanohagan Frets: 120
Andertons are doing an ‘epic deal’ on these for £299 - that’s £1000 off list!!!
Granted the tech is at least 10 years old but I’m interested.

Then again, why not just get a Line 6 HX effects - guess I just answered my own question 

move along nothing to see here 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Gotta watch that patch-switching gap - it made the G-System unusable for me.

That said, I've got a G-Major now, in a parallel loop of my ADA MP-2. Sounds great.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • alanohaganalanohagan Frets: 120
    ADA MP-2 pre-amp droooooool
     :3 
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited April 2021
    While only £50 more, is the iB Modified version worth the extra?
  • Not in stock. what's the score, is the preorder honoured at that price or will they just turn down new orders now they're out of stock?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Not in stock. what's the score, is the preorder honoured at that price or will they just turn down new orders now they're out of stock?
    They aren’t available until 4 May. This is fairly common with Andertons discontinued stock sell off promotions, the price you see is what you’ll pay until they’re all gone. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    ADA MP-2 pre-amp droooooool
     :3 
    Yep, gotta say...I'm a fan of good modellers, but the MP-2 is far more fun than any of them.
    <space for hire>
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654

Then again, why not just get a Line 6 HX effects - guess I just answered my own question 

I lusted after a G System for a long while and my first reaction to seeing the offer was - where's my card?

Then I re-read the specs, thought about it for a minute, looked at the floor controllers already sitting in front of me (Helix, Kemper) and decided that I no longer had the need.

No doubt still capable of giving great results, and a great price, but multi fx from other manufacturers are available.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited April 2021
    G System is just fx not amp modelling of course, and its a big unit...but it has great floor control with top quality build. Something like HxFx is more compact, more in it, more flexibility. 

Like many here, I too lusted after one of these, but tech and markets have changed and nowadays compact, lightweight, and versatile is what I need, hence why I bought a Pod Go. 

The G System doesn't have univibe although the red hot version does. Perhaps more importantly for many, is that it has no distortions as it was intended to integrate with distortion pedals.  Still delivers top quality pro effect sounds though but it's designed to work with an amp with an fx loop and external distortions.

So perhaps one for serious pro or semipro players who take a full rig to gigs.  But with the plethora of options in the market today, I think its largely had its day. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • alanohaganalanohagan Frets: 120
    Voxman said:
    G System is just fx not amp modelling of course, and its a big unit...but it has great floor control with top quality build. Something like HxFx is more compact, more in it, more flexibility. 

Like many here, I too lusted after one of these, but tech and markets have changed and nowadays compact, lightweight, and versatile is what I need, hence why I bought a Pod Go. 

The G System doesn't have univibe although the red hot version does. Perhaps more importantly for many, is that it has no distortions as it was intended to integrate with distortion pedals.  Still delivers top quality pro effect sounds though but it's designed to work with an amp with an fx loop and external distortions.

So perhaps one for serious pro or semipro players who take a full rig to gigs.  But with the plethora of options in the market today, I think its largely had its day. 

Yep pretty much agree with all of that 
  • AlvinAlvin Frets: 416
    It was a quality piece of kit 20 years ago, really is built like a tank . But it is only an effects unit .
    No amp modelling , no overdive or distortions .  It does what it does well but by todays standards it is very limited .
        Ridiculously complicated ( look at the screen size - doesn't help) and the tc manual is next to useless although there are supposed to be better manuals people have done online ( not tc as they gave up on it years ago)  .    If anyone buys one , get some paracetomol ready , you will need them for the headaches it will give you .      If you can get it working they are good (or were) but there is plenty of other kit out there now that offers so much more and is easier to use. It was a great relief when i sold mine .
      I recently bought an Ampero , it is a doddle to use and i would take that over a G System any day .       And the G System still ( probably ) has better reverbs and delays .

• I bet it sounds better than most new stuff though. The older TC stuff was great. Case in point, the Nova Delay, which was circa the same time, sounds infinitely better than the Flashback, IMO.

I remember working on the checkouts in Tesco when I was around 18 and was daydreaming about how many months of work I needed to do to enable me to afford one of these! The answer was many!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    I loved my G system, served me well, built like a brick shithouse (weighed like one too) - teamed up with the Nova Drive over Midi it was a great 4CM system.

I ended up rackmounting the brain in a 4U with a pedal shelf for a Fulltone Univibe and the Nova - Cat 5 out to the floorboard and the 4U case also acted as an amp stand.

I still remember the Reverbs and Delays sounding better than anything I've had since..
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    edited April 2021
    The Nova Drive is a fantastic pedal, I kept mine when I sold the g system, ... I really need to build a pedal board (just for fun, so I can use it) I use the fractal audio fx8, the original one, which are brilliant. You can probably pick up a second hand one for the price of that g system.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I have a couple of these. All the current gushing on youtube about the "new fangled" pedals offering digital control of analogue circuitry really makes me smile.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Bought one when they first came out - realized it was complete overkill for what I wanted, was hug when added to a pedal board, was expensive to take to beer soaked pub gigs, and I didn`t have a backup if the aforementioned beer caused a catastrophic failure.

TBH, also felt a bit daft having a spaceship sized control panel down the dog and duck too! :-)

Was really excited when they announced the Nova system, anticipating it would be a cut down G System -  same effects, less size, maybe less loops. Turned out to be completely different and lost all of the cool stuff like being able to program what buttons did.

Would still like another G System, but now old enough and wise enough to know it would just sit in the corner unused.
    edited May 2021
    If anyone particularly fancies the iB model, but missed out at £349, it must not have worked out for this poor guy so he's passing on the love - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304000264534?hash=item46c7d3e956:g:UPEAAOSwq~xgokB6
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I lusted after one of these when they first came out. I then saw one in the wild at a pub gig, and it was the size of a car bonnet. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • StefB said:
    If anyone particularly fancies the iB model, but missed out at £349, it must not have worked out for this poor guy so he's passing on the love - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304000264534?hash=item46c7d3e956:g:UPEAAOSwq~xgokB6
    I managed to resist at £349 so I’m pretty sure that’s not going to sway me