Replacement speaker for Blues Junior IV

rlwrlw Frets: 4696
OK, it's new to me (but not new) and it has a Celestion A type in it.  It's way to loud to be a sensible home amp but I have a cunning plan involving a speaker change and an attenuator.

Speaker wise, I'm drawn to the Jensen style and seem to have a choice of 4 fairly inefficient models to choose from - P12 R & Q, C12 R & Q.

For the most tweedy tones, what's the best option? There will no Strats or Teles involved and so single cuts with humbuckers and P90s.

I have my eye on a Night Light Junior in the classifieds and that should turn up in a couple of weeks and will, hopefully, help to keep the volume down a bit more.

I'm open to all suggestions but would like to get it right more or less first time.

Apropos too noisy, with the master on 1 and volume on 3, it's as loud as I feel I can go when the neighbours are in. 
Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72324
    edited April 2021
    rlw said:

Speaker wise, I'm drawn to the Jensen style and seem to have a choice of 4 fairly inefficient models to choose from - P12 R & Q, C12 R & Q.
    Jensen C12Q. A customer of mine experimented with several different ones and found that the best.

rlw said:

Apropos too noisy, with the master on 1 and volume on 3, it's as loud as I feel I can go when the neighbours are in. 
    Also try the volume and master the other way round, or both of them on 1... with those settings you aren't overdriving it anyway, so there's no reason you can't turn it down further. It should be possible to turn it down below the acoustic volume of the guitar strings if you want.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Thanks. That was the way I was leaning.

Lots to learn about this amp but, essentially, I think it's rather good.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72324
    I’ve been really surprised by how much better than the previous versions they are - it’s really quite a nice-sounding amp. I would never have thought I would say that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    ICBM said:
    I’ve been really surprised by how much better than the previous versions they are - it’s really quite a nice-sounding amp. I would never have thought I would say that :).

Your recent comments on this version are what prompted me to buy it.  There's next to nothing new to be had at the moment and I saw this on FB Marketplace fairly locally and thought WTF.

I've actually been waiting over two months for the new Supro Delta King 10 to arrive here but have now more or less given up hope.