RIP Jim Steinman

What's Hot
StefBStefB Frets: 2355
Bat Into Heaven :-(

Love or loathe the ‘Loaf, Jim leaves quite a songwriting legacy behind. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2045
    edited April 2021
    Not seeing this reported anywhere?

edit: see it now  :/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    One day in 1977, when I was at boarding school and a few of us were in the common room listening to records - I forget exactly what was on, but I think it might have been Wings - a boy in the year above me came in with a new album, unceremoniously took our one off and put his on, saying "you HAVE to hear this!" We protested for a few seconds, until we heard...

It's still one of the greatest albums ever recorded. Turn it up loud and marvel at the sheer genius of it.

RIP Jim.

:(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Wasn't into Meatloaf but Steinman's all over this and I love it. 
    Sisters of Mercy This Corrosion 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I always wonder what Phantom of the Opera would have been if Steinman had accept the offer to write the lyrics.

Genuine hit maker and Bat out of Hell is a tour de force of a rock musical.

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4515
    TBH, Bat out of Hell is pompous, overblown and slightly ridiculous.

I'm trying to think if there's anything I don't like about it.

RIP Jim Steinman.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    RIP. Loved so many of his songs and projects. Epic and cheesy in equal measure.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    Bat Out of Hell was one of the first albums I ever bought.  Also one of the very few I've ever sold, not because I didn't like it but because I was a skint teenager and I felt I needed to buy something else....

I don't know why I never bought another copy, but I'd listened to it so many times I think it's still pretty much imprinted in my brain.

A very talented chap, sorry to hear he's gone.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Fantastic songwriter & I love the keyboard/piano playing on the Bat Out Of Hell album. This will always be my favourite song from an album that will never be forgotten.

RIP Jim Steinman

duotone said:
    Fantastic songwriter & I love the keyboard/piano playing on the Bat Out Of Hell album. This will always be my favourite song from an album that will never be forgotten.

A friend of mine once did a karaoke version of that song at the office Christmas party, with one of the senior partners.  It was amusing for a while, but people started getting fidgety when they realised it was over 8 minutes long....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HabaneroHabanero Frets: 252
    edited April 2021

This always made me smile. RIP Jim
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Philly_Q said:
    duotone said:

A friend of mine once did a karaoke version of that song at the office Christmas party, with one of the senior partners.  It was amusing for a while, but people started getting fidgety when they realised it was over 8 minutes long....
    @Philly_Q ;
    They do the baseball announcer themselves or did they get another ‘guest’ vocalist?
    duotone said:
    Philly_Q said:
    duotone said:

@Philly_Q ;
    They do the baseball announcer themselves or did they get another ‘guest’ vocalist?
    That's a very good question.  I don't remember, but I'd guess the announcer bit was included on the karaoke tape... they started to get embarrassed as they saw they were losing the audience, and sped up... it was all a bit of a debacle.

Off topic, but it reminds me of another Christmas party where a different partner arranged for his band (he was the drummer) to provide the "entertainment".  They started out with a Robbie Williams song which went down well, but then proceeded to play a series of dreary dirges (probably the Christians or the Lighthouse Family or something).  Someone had to ask them to stop after about four songs.  They were very pissed off....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294

Bat Out of Hell was one of those albums that was somehow always there but I'd never paid any attention to. I remember watching the Classic Albums TV series and it was the one that struck me the most  - this enormous back story of how it came to be and nearly wasn't , the intricacies in the music that had maybe passed me by. Quite an eye opener, recommended viewing. Apart from Bonnie Tyler I think I next heard of Jim when he got sacked by Def Leppard; I think he had his own way of doing things and that didn't fit well with many others.

But certainly an impressive legacy. RIP.   

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I'd forgotten about the Def Leppard thing, it might have been interesting.  They'd spent years working with a producer very much used to doing things his own way, so that was nothing new, but perhaps the contrast in styles was too great.
    Philly_Q said:
    I'd forgotten about the Def Leppard thing, it might have been interesting.  They'd spent years working with a producer very much used to doing things his own way, so that was nothing new, but perhaps the contrast in styles was too great.

Not read this yet but the story is online...

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-of-def-leppards-jim-steinman-sessions-the-most-expensive-unreleased-album-ever

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I wasn't into his style of stuff, I think I only heard the Bat out of hell album once. Still, he was a significant writer who no doubt made a lot of people happy (and made a lot of money!) RIP Jim

Off topic but - Bat out of Hell cover art - one of the best. Adored it as a Teen!
    Philly_Q said:

https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-of-def-leppards-jim-steinman-sessions-the-most-expensive-unreleased-album-ever

So not at all what I imagined! :D
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:

So not at all what I imagined! :D
    No, doesn’t paint him in the best light. That’s only the Lep’s point of view I suppose. Although getting paid a six figure sum for farting about for a few weeks is perhaps an admirable quality. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    I don't ever recall buying Bat out of Hell - But was in the 6th form of school when it came out and it was always on in the common room and just about every pub/party you went to around that time - So certainly part of my youth - RIP Jim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom