SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Anyone got any neoprene foam pickup height adjusters for Strat pickups ?

What's Hot
DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
Like these 

https://imgur.com/gallery/dog6ZQ2

I’m resurrecting an 80s Hohner Superstrat for a mate and I’m struggling to mount the Lace Alumitone single coil pickups in the neck & middle positions. Normally I’d just stick a rectangle of foam under the centre of the pickup and use the screws to adjust height. Except that these Lace pickups don’t really have a centre bit so it needs to fit under the rounded ears at either end and I’ve trashed all the neoprene I’ve managed to scavenge from pickup boxes because I don’t have anything sharp enough to cut neoprene. So anyone got 2 of these knocking about ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    I think that @OilCityPickups uses model aircraft fuel line. If you want something wider then the tube that home brewers and wine makers use when siphoning. Any sharp blade will cut neoprene tubing. I’ve even used a pair of scissors.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    Er, are the Lace pickups mounted directly into the body rather than suspended from a pickguard?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Er, are the Lace pickups mounted directly into the body rather than suspended from a pickguard?
    Yes, although not hard screwed to the bottom of the pickup cavity because that leaves them too far away from the strings
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10487
    tFB Trader
    Roland said:
    I think that @OilCityPickups uses model aircraft fuel line. If you want something wider then the tube that home brewers and wine makers use when siphoning. Any sharp blade will cut neoprene tubing. I’ve even used a pair of scissors.
    Watch it with larger diameter tube ... it can sit on the coil wire as it goes to the eyelet ,,, particularly on Tele bridge pickups ... you tighten the screw and it breaks the pickup wire. We use as @Roland says, model aircraft fuel line that has a thinner wall and won't damage the wires.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

Roland said:
    Watch it with larger diameter tube ... it can sit on the coil wire as it goes to the eyelet ,,, particularly on Tele bridge pickups ... you tighten the screw and it breaks the pickup wire. We use as @Roland says, model aircraft fuel line that has a thinner wall and won't damage the wires.
    Ash, having just dipped a toe into the murky world of model aircraft there does appear to be a variety of tuning on offer, would you have a specific diameter or type you would recommend? 

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10487
    tFB Trader

DrBob said:
    Roland said:
    Ash, having just dipped a toe into the murky world of model aircraft there does appear to be a variety of tuning on offer, would you have a specific diameter or type you would recommend? 

The stuff I use these days has an outside diameter of 5mm and an inside diameter of 3mm. it's thinner walled than some use, but stands less chance of damaging wires than either 6mm OD tube or springs. Cut the tube a bit longer and they 'spring' just as well as 6mm tube. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14447
    DrBob said:
    Yes, although not hard screwed to the bottom of the pickup cavity because that leaves them too far away from the strings
    You probably only need D-shaped compressible foam pads to fit under the "feet" of the Alumitone pickups.

Full length cavity shaped pads could deform upwards into the hollow part of the pickups and damage the coils and connectors.

Tubing sections would work if used in the style of a vintage Telecaster neck pickup, between the lug and the body wood.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    @Funkfingers yep, you’re spot on my thinking in getting those Strat shaped ones would be to just hack the D shaped bits off of either end as they’re the bits that would be sort of visible I’d want them to look near. My own attempts at cutting neoprene into near curves  have not gone well
  • The foam from sanding blocks works fine, I forgot to order “pickup foam” on my recent build so improvised
    The foam from sanding blocks works fine, I forgot to order “pickup foam” on my recent build so improvised
    Off to make a purchase 
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    Probably too late now, but possibly of help to someone else who may stumble across this thread:
    https://www.cdguitars.co.uk/neoprene-foam-rubber-sponges-2pcs-for-pickups---pu-6944-023-289-p.asp