New kitchen - where'd you get yours from

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
edited May 2021 in Off Topic
According to Mrs Fastone, its time I put my GAS fund to good use and gave the kitchen a makeover.   Total refit top to bottom.   Having never done one before I'm only really aware of Wren Kitchens.

Any recommendations for my epic journey into brokeness?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    My No. 1 recommendation is don’t go to Wren. They use the Same worn out and underhand sales technique that double glazing outfits use.

They start high on the off chance you are gullible, then when you’ve finished laughing there’s some nonsense backwards and forwarding between their management to offer a special deal that’s half the price but you must signup today etc.

I think the kitchens are ok - but the sales technique meant I couldn’t deal with them.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I know a few folk that have used Wren and the build quality has been absolutely shocking. 
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    edited May 2021
    Howdens is good quality stuff with good thickness carcasses and all well made. Not that cheap but worth it IME. There’s a downside to them in that they don’t deal with the public, so it depends if you’re planning on doing a self install or not. If so you’d have to get a tame builder to order it for you. They have a weird/stupid pricing system too, where they quote an initially ridiculous price then give the installer an enormous discount which gets it down to something more realistic. We had Howdens units put in at our last house and it still looked immaculate 5 years later when we moved out, we’ve also gone with them again in our new place (not been installed yet though). Their Lamona own brand appliances are crap, don’t be tempted by the price or long warranty, read the reviews. Oh they do free planning by the way. 

Be careful with DIY supermarket kitchens, their units are often sourced from Europe and ordered in as required. If you get any broken or missing bits it can sometimes take weeks or months to get replacement parts. Probably even worse at the moment what with brexit and covid. Howdens make everything in-house and you can just walk in to a store to get spare parts. 

Edit: if you’re doing it diy have a look at IKEA. Not the best quality but it’s ok and still much better than stuff like Wickes. (Which is utter shite btw). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    My parents had theirs done not long ago. They just got a local, known, joiner to do it. 
    Maybe took a bit longer but they're happy. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4775
    edited May 2021
    I couldn't fit one myself. I don't have the skills or the motivation. Last one we had done in our old house was through John Lewis. They did a great job and were in and out in under a week. Of course, now I know how ghastly John Lewis actually is, and what it says about me, I'll probably go somewhere really expensive next time. Maybe I'll get a loan... :-) 

(It really was done well by John Lewis, BTW, I'm not posting for comic effect)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    Wow not much love for wren kitchens then.  I didn't even think of John Lewis as an option. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    ...  I didn't even think of John Lewis as an option. 
    You are Carrie Symonds and ICM£5.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
      I didn't even think of John Lewis as an option. 
    They’re good but a second mortgage job I think. At least you’d have some comeback if it was crap I suppose.  

So much of a getting a good result is down to the fitters, bit like double glazing. The one we’ve inherited in our new (to us) house is terrible, all held together with plastic blocks and bits of timber randomly nailed on, bodged together everywhere. The wall units are just about held up with 25mm screws into tiny wall plugs. I’d assumed it was a diy job but we found the plans and invoice and it was professionally done in 1996 and cost a small fortune at the time. If you’re going for a pro installer look for personal recommendations and/or ask to speak to their previous clients and actually see their work. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1590
    +1 for Howdens for all the reasons stated above. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • adampeteradampeter Frets: 775
    Howdens all day long, either go with a fitter that has accounts with them or open an account, its not that hard tbh
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7031
    tFB Trader
    I refitted ours with Neptune units about 5 years ago. I wanted in-frame doors and it was one of the cheaper options.

Carcases came fully built and are very strong ply and solid wood construction. No chipboard or MDF.
  • M1ckM1ck Frets: 231
    We have a Wren kitchen and aside from the gullible side previously mentioned are very happy with it, they did try it on price wise but I wasn’t having it, got it at a price we were happy with and comparable to (or maybe better than) Howdens in the end. Quality wise we’ve had no issues, customer service can be a bit iffy, we had an incorrect unit delivered and had a little bit of bother but nothing major to get it changed it was their fault anyway but we took a while to report it as we didn’t fit it straight away. 
    I personally would never have anything to do with Roundel (I think they’re trade only anyway) or Nixons kitchens (one and the same, ones trade the other retail, same company - same ethics or lack of!)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5161
    Howdens for me too...Their approved fitter was a numpty but you can’t have everything 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    If you’re thinking of fitting it yourself then I can really recommend DIY Kitchens (https://www.diy-kitchens.com/). They’ve got a physical showroom in Pontefract but even then when it comes to placing the order they sit you down at a PC in the showroom and you do it yourself on the website. I was really impressed with the quality of the cabinets and doors (I didn’t get a worktop so can’t comment on those).

Howdens can be ok, but you get what you pay for with the different price points. We had a utility room put in with Howdens cheap stuff and the plasticy paint coating on the doors has delaminated from the MDF backing.

As others have mentioned the Howdens pricing is a complicated model in that the retail price is huge but each fitter with an account gets a decent discount. The more kitchens they buy from Howdens from bigger the discount, so you may not get the same price from two fitters.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1344
    Got mine from magnet approx 4 years ago. Perfectly satisfactory.
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    Howdens Kitchens - find a good joiner. The appliances are rubbish and not much cheaper than good ones. We went Neff for appliances. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    I went to a local high price place for a free planning session. They massively over spec’d it but the layout was great. (Including a custom sized and built microwave for about £4000 - twats).

Then I bought units at Wickes and got a local installer to put it in.
  • moremore Frets: 230
    edited May 2021
    A few years ago bought a kitchen from http://simonbenjamin.co.uk/   . He is a small family business not far from where I live. There must be simaler businesses near you.   The quality was really good, and I fitted it all myself. More recently I moved to a new house. The kitchen was a bit worn out. I removed the entire kitchen,  hand-painted it and refitted all the best bits, with a new sink.  Personally, I found most of the big firms to converting chipboard into gold, for them.  With regards to Howdens. Howdens have this little setup that hides the cost of the units from bulders customer. When I was looking around at kitchens, I went into Howdens and asked if they would supply a kitchen, I was told that it was not a problem for non-trade sales. But I think it down to the local branch.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    BigMonka said:
    If you’re thinking of fitting it yourself then I can really recommend DIY Kitchens (https://www.diy-kitchens.com/). They’ve got a physical showroom in Pontefract but even then when it comes to placing the order they sit you down at a PC in the showroom and you do it yourself on the website. I was really impressed with the quality of the cabinets and doors (I didn’t get a worktop so can’t comment on those).

Howdens can be ok, but you get what you pay for with the different price points. We had a utility room put in with Howdens cheap stuff and the plasticy paint coating on the doors has delaminated from the MDF backing.

As others have mentioned the Howdens pricing is a complicated model in that the retail price is huge but each fitter with an account gets a decent discount. The more kitchens they buy from Howdens from bigger the discount, so you may not get the same price from two fitters.
    Absolutely this. The guy who set up DIY Kitchens is a big machine addict and bought a load of posh CNC machines to build all their stuff in house. By far the best carcasses I’ve seen (that aren’t bespoke hand built). 

Great product, really good service and super easy to deal with. I’ll not go anywhere else now. No connection other than being a very happy customer

• DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Howdens