Best album with the worst cover?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9692

The technicolour nightmare that graced the cover of Led Zep’s Houses of the Holy,..

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    HAL9000 said:

The technicolour nightmare that graced the cover of Led Zep’s Houses of the Holy,..

Yep. That is pretty shit. 

I'm going to have a look though my Album Cover Album book and see what I can spot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A few jumped out at me;

There is very little to like about this Peter Gabriel cover. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have never liked Bowie's Let's Dance cover, but love the album.

Don't dislike the cover, but it is noticeable how there is more than a touch of The Prodigy on this Klaus Nomi cover from 1982. 

Annie Clark also credits Nomi for the inspiration behind her St Vincent Guitar design. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    Not sure how I forgot this! Since I've mentioned it before I'm sure. This album contains one of my all-time favourite electric guitar tones ever recorded. But the cover... awful, and even worse on the inside of the gatefold. More terrible schoolboy artwork, even if it's quite well done graphically.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Cols said:
    Beyond a doubt, Black Sabbath - Paranoid.  A terrible album cover in its own right which looks like it was shot on a budget of 50p, but doubly jarring compared to the evocative brilliance of the debut album cover.
    When Melody Maker had a “question for the groups” section, which was usually full of stuff like “what strings does Richie Blackmore use?” or “where does Rory Gallagher get his shirts?” I wrote in to ask who the bloke in the pink tights and crash helmet was? Amazingly they got a response from Tony Iommi, who said something like “(laughs) I’ve got no idea, it was down to the record company.” I kept that clipping for years. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11830
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:

Could it have been a deliberate spoof/pastiche
    Much as I love Deep Purple and Ritchie Blackmore, I suspect that self-aware pastiche is not one of their strong points...
    Certainly not in Blackmore's case.

Gillan, Lord and Paice all seem(ed) to have good senses of humour. 

Some of Gillan's solo album lyrics are decidedly tongue in cheek.
    Isn't Blackmore famously a bit of a practical joker?  Although I suspect his pranks would be of the cruel/bullying variety.  
    If you read Gillan's autobiography, it seems the only thing Blackmore is famous for is being a cock.
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 886
    edited May 2021
    Melaphobia by Cage the Elephant.
    Probably one of my fav albums, terrible cover

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey