39 years ago today

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7432
    edited May 2021
    RobDavies said:
    This was all very exciting to a then eleven year old me - to think I was only eight years younger than someone who was actually there.... wow. 

Hearing that RT is amazing, how calm does the captain sound?
    Yelling over the radio is largely a Hollywood thing - the more 'normally' you talk the clearer it is over a crappy radio connection - and if you're getting your bits shot off then youre incentivised to communicate clearly son as to be most likely to be helped lol 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They dropped me behind enemy lines. Quite a long way behind enemy lines. It was Guildford actually.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    RobDavies said:

Hearing that RT is amazing, how calm does the captain sound?
    Yeah, sounds like he’s commentating on the egg and spoon race at a school sports day.  Very impressive. 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    A fascinating piece of history. Thanks for posting. Incredible bravery.

It brings back some much safer, less scary, memories for me. In the ~70/80's the very first antenna design I led was for the on-board Sea Skua telemetry (design proving) system, followed by conformal antennas for the Rapier telemetry (design proving) system. Then, much later, a design update to the Sea Wolf on-board antenna system. 

Hearing stuff like this puts things into stark perspective.

It's not a competition.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4144

It brings back some much safer, less scary, memories for me. In the ~70/80's the very first antenna design I led was for the on-board Sea Skua telemetry (design proving) system, followed by conformal antennas for the Rapier telemetry (design proving) system. Then, much later, a design update to the Sea Wolf on-board antenna system. 

That's brilliant was that in Stevenage?
    Visited the factory where they made the Sea Skuas. 
    Emp_Fab said:
    ..and what's your opinion now about the conflict?  Was it worth it?
    Yes I believe it was worth it. Despite the loss of life on both sides.
    The islanders have seen themselves as British for generations, and if you ever visit you will see they still do. 
    Should it have come to a war?
    Well that's for historians to decide. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited May 2021

No I just worked for a major subcontractor. The telemetry systems were just used during the development/update phases and were usually installed in the place where the warhead would be. The telemetry systems transmitted data on missile performance back to the ground station during trial firings on test ranges. But I never got to see any actual performance data and I don't even recall seeing any real missiles either.

It's not a competition.
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1026
    Emp_Fab said:
    ..and what's your opinion now about the conflict?  Was it worth it?
    Yes I believe it was worth it. Despite the loss of life on both sides.
    The islanders have seen themselves as British for generations, and if you ever visit you will see they still do. 
    Should it have come to a war?
    Well that's for historians to decide. 
    I was in Germany at time and saw the headlines.. England at war. I thought that the Falklands were somewhere above Scotland. 

Still Topgear paid them back 

“Ken sent me.”

No I just worked for a major subcontractor. The telemetry systems were just used during the development/update phases and were usually installed in the place where the warhead would be. The telemetry systems transmitted data on missile performance back to the ground station during trial firings on test ranges. But I never got to see any actual performance data and I don't even recall seeing any real missiles either.

Only four fired during Falklands, we fired two and Coventry Fired two. All hits so British Aerospace earns millions of orders. And we were taken out for a pissup. Wild from what I remember.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom