NGD Vintage Gibson Content

What's Hot
CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
Alright, a few posters were a little miffed on the for sale thread of my 1954 Gibson SJ-200 by my decision to let it go. Well hopefully this appeases them, the one I have been chasing since I listed the 54... a 1951 Gibson SJ-200. This has a great history, was owned by a country musician by the name of Don Ridgway (see pics) before being owned by Keith Nelson of Buckcherry. On a side note Keith seems a really good guy and took the time to reply to me on Instagram to confirm his ownership.

The guitar sounds incredible and overall I am very happy with it although there has been some pretty big issues with the dealer which almost made me return it and I will be bringing those up a little later as I feel it warrants it’s own thread. Can’t comment on the playability as result of these issues but confident it will be spot on when resolved.

For now though here she is

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    From a purely aesthetic standpoint I prefer the ‘54 but who cares what I think and  that’s not putting this down in the slightest. It’s a beautiful thing 

So what’s the spec difference between them? 

Not great to have a rough time with the dealer on such a valuable guitar. Hopefully/glad it worked out 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    edited May 2021
    Andy79 said:
    From a purely aesthetic standpoint I prefer the ‘54 but who cares what I think and  that’s not putting this down in the slightest. It’s a beautiful thing 

So what’s the spec difference between them? 

Not great to have a rough time with the dealer on such a valuable guitar. Hopefully/glad it worked out 
    Well it’s got that pink lined case for a start   Blonde was a rarer finish too and body depth, bracing changed...

from guitar hq
    1948 SJ-200 specs: 
    Natural finish optional, body depth increased from 4.5" to 4.75".
    1952 SJ-200 specs: 
    Body depth increased to 4 7/8". Changed the bracing pattern from single X-brace with two transverse tonebars, and reinstated the wide-angled double X with two ladder style tonebars and long bridge plate. 
    1955 Gibson J-200 guitar specs: 
    Model name shortened to "J-200", laminated back and sides, molded pickguard with flower motif changed slightly with no engraved border around pickguard (the molded pickguard was less expensive to make than the previously engraved pickguard).
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 960
    Wow. That is a lovely guitar. Nice to have the history of it too.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Very nice.

was the Stinger part of the standard spec?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    SRich said:
    Very nice.

was the Stinger part of the standard spec?
    Yes although the natural finish itself was optional and 51 was the first year it was available. Here is another example 

https://folkwaymusic.com/instrumentDetail/?id=3905
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1588
    edited May 2021
    That neck looks amazing! 
    Happy for you that you’ve ‘hopefully’ found the one and having read the many comments in the disgruntled thread, from your responses I’d say  you probably have. Once the relatively minor issues are sorted the slightly bad taste in your mouth from the whole buying experience will go away I’m sure and you’ll be happy as Larry. 

Regarding some of the disgruntled comments I’d  keep in mind that a lot of folk wouldn’t always follow their own advice that they give out on forums. Myself included....Follow your instincts.

Ps I’m still a bit gutted I didn’t have the funds to have that 0018 you were selling. However I have fully bonded with the 0028vs I was considering trading so all is well.
    Thanks @Gandalph, you are right the fact In am keeping it in spite of the issues when I can still get a full refund speaks volumes about the guitar. 
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    It is indeed stunning
  • xchrisvxchrisv Frets: 573
    edited May 2021
    I think I may have played this guitar a couple of years ago while it was at Matt’s place in Paris. Despite any problems you’ve had with the transaction I would definitely hang on to it – it was probably among the top five best-sounding acoustics I’ve ever heard. Astonishing tone, even by the standards of old Gibsons – and I played a lot in the search that resulted in my '55 Southern Jumbo. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That’s the very one yes and I totally agree it’s a keeper. I have been able to separate the guitar from the issues I have had with the store, don’t want to cut my nose off to spite my face  =) Perhaps I should have posted this NGD thread and left it at that 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I think the early 50s Gibsons are some of the best guitars ever made and I’m envious of everyone who has one. 
  • 19831983 Frets: 21
    Man. This is so cool! What a find. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30927
    Wow- gorgeous.

And probably the earliest Murphy Labs I've ever seen.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom