Stringing a small classical guitar

What's Hot
MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 254
Hi all

We have a small, I presume, classical guitar. It's the type kids get at school so pretty cheap.

I dont think it's been touched in 20 years so I will treat it to some new strings and give it a go.

It's many years since I played or strung anything like this so wanted to ask what the cheapest set of strings would be and what the gauges are. 

Martin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3705
    What’s the scale length?
  • MartinBushMartinBush Frets: 254
    Good question. I will have to take a proper look - will report back tomorrow. 

I get it at approx. 25" @drofluf ;

This is not a fancy guitar - I just want to be able to tune it and strum it really. 

edited May 2021
    Cheers. Nylon strings seem expensive compared to electrics - wonder why that is. I expect that they will last a good while.

I remember when I was learning and progressing steel electric strings were put on my (Encore?) nylon guitar! That was traded in for an electric and I think they whipped the strings off quite quickly.
  • moremore Frets: 230
    Gauges for classical guitar strings are at best vague. The strings are classified as medium tension. or something similar. But there is no standard to gauge what the descriptions actually mean.   Your best bet is to just buy the cheapest and work your way up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411

Nylon strings seem expensive compared to electrics - wonder why that is. I expect that they will last a good while.
    The plain ones will, but don't be surprised if the wound ones - the D especially - wear out quickly. There are online sellers who do individual D strings (usually in packs of 5 or 10) so you don't have to change the whole set.

Nylon strings often have silver-plated wound strings which might explain some of the cost, although there are definitely cheap ones which don't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

If it helps I am seeking a Daniel Johnston style so I guess any strings will do :)

I will try the ones linked above and see how i get on.

I did wonder why my google search brought up lots of D strings... now I know!
  • GTCGTC Frets: 264
    You could try a set of Adagio classicals - £5.99 a set on Amazon. I have tried them. They are by no means the best but they are excellent value for money and hold their tuning well. 

The D'Addario EJ27n's mentioned by drofluf are also OK if you are on a budget. I've only tried the 3/4 equivalent.
  • WarblingtonWarblington Frets: 109
    If it’s smaller than typical sized classical  I’d go for hard tension. I use D’addario EJ27H on a Cordoba mini.
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited June 2021
    I have the same issue - someone asked me to re-string their kid’s small guitar. It’s a BM Classico. My friend said he had a go and messed it up. 
    Scale length is 26” (from nut to bridge). 
    Never having done one before - what’s a good place to start?
    Thanks
    I have picked up a set of Adagio classicals as suggested by ;

I am yet to do the stringing as I need to concentrate on getting it right. Think the last time I put strings on a guitar like this will have been 30 years ago!

I have picked up a set of Adagio classicals as suggested by ;

I am yet to do the stringing as I need to concentrate on getting it right. Think the last time I put strings on a guitar like this will have been 30 years ago!

Plenty of videos which is how I learnt. My top- tip is to allow a long tail at the bridge end on the nylon strings as it will slip through the know. At least mine did... 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 264
    There are plenty of classical guitar restringing videos around - however, it helps if you have an illustrated static web-page guide for easy reference. Here is one https://www.guitarbitz.com/pages/how-to-restring-a-classical-guitar .

It can be a bit daunting at first but it is actually quite easy. I can now almost do it in my sleep! The correct tying around the tuning machine barrel is important for stability.

The strings will need frequent retuning as they bed in and stretch, particularly initially. Good luck.
    ...and once they're bedded in and the tuning is stable is the how you know that you need to replace them. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    drofluf said:

My top- tip is to allow a long tail at the bridge end on the nylon strings as it will slip through the know. At least mine did... 
    Tie a small, tight knot in the string first, about an inch from the end, on the top E and B at least - that will stop it slipping through the tie-wrap.

You can trim the excess off after they're bedded in and you know they won't slip further.

drofluf said:
    ...and once they're bedded in and the tuning is stable is the how you know that you need to replace them. :)
    lol :D . Too true!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein