NGD Vintage Gibson Content Part 2

What's Hot
CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
Ok let’s try this again. 51 SJ-200 returned to the store and I have bought this instead:

1943 Gibson J-45... I’m not convinced it’s a 1943 but the store, previous owner and Tony from Replay all have it dated to that so I will go with that. Was a real mixed bag at this time and what was used for construction changed on a daily basis due to wartime shortages in what was one of Gibsons most interesting periods. Either way it’s a banner J-45 with all the desirable features. It’s not as pretty as the SJ-200 but an honest assessment is that’s the only battle it loses between those 2 and that’s a big statement because for all it’s issues the SJ-200 was still a dream. This time the set up is fantastic, great low action and super comfortable board it’s a joy to play hardly put it down since it arrived. Cant begin to describe how good it sounds, very happy NGD

0reaction image LOL 13reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Noice!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    FK me, I'm sure it sounds killer (never liked SJs)
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    Just lovely 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72413
    "Epiphone - when 'good enough' isn't good enough." - ad line from the 1940s.

:)

Just kidding, it looks great. It does make me miss my '61 more though :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2472
    I prefer it to the j-200, it’s gorgeous. Killer finish and I bet it sounds as good as it looks. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    I threatened to come over to your place and play your stuff once.  Well things have changed, I’m outside 

I played a wartime J45 once and I could neeearly afford it. Not anymore, they have Rocketted. Congrats on another belter

Always puzzled me a bit how these could be nailed to a particular year with all the different bits n bobs that were used at all times

Norms rare guitars has a vid somewhere with a 4 piece maple top. Nice 

You now need a copy of The Gibson Gals book of you don’t already have it. 

Let me in I’m freezing 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CMW335CMW335 Frets: 2053
    Andy79 said:
    I threatened to come over to your place and play your stuff once.  Well things have changed, I’m outside 

I played a wartime J45 once and I could neeearly afford it. Not anymore, they have Rocketted. Congrats on another belter

Always puzzled me a bit how these could be nailed to a particular year with all the different bits n bobs that were used at all times

Norms rare guitars has a vid somewhere with a 4 piece maple top. Nice 

You now need a copy of The Gibson Gals book of you don’t already have it. 

Let me in I’m freezing 
    Wow you really are here  =)

This is my second banner J-45, picked my first up from this very forum it sat here for a while at a great price surprising it wasn’t snapped up before. It was a bit worn and battered but was all there and a great guitar but I was chasing a 50s SJ-200 (not the V&R one at the point). This one though I can now say is the best I have owned surpasses the 64 D-28 I had.

I do need to find a copy of that book, birthday on Monday could you my wish list.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1588
    edited May 2021
    A fine choice, looks even better than the sj.
    I prefer the more traditional looks and moustache bridges look odd imo.  

Just noticed that 60’s 00-18 I was badgering you about has popped up on reverb. Buyers remorse or maybe he’s trying to make an extra few quid....
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2695
    Congratulations, a beautiful instrument :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    Fantastic! 
    Gandalph said:
    A fine choice, looks even better than the sj.
    I prefer the more traditional looks and moustache bridges look odd imo.  

Just noticed that 60’s 00-18 I was badgering you about has popped up on reverb. Buyers remorse or maybe he’s trying to make an extra few quid....
    Thanks Gandalph, seems like fate thet SJ-200 didn't work out now.

Re the Martin, he is actually a poster on here, neck is too small for him and I believe it's a genuine reason for sale. With offers enabled on Reverb he wouldn't make much on it based on what I sold it for tbh... I had it on Reverb for more. I was tempted to buy it back.
  • 19831983 Frets: 21
    man, I think this looks cooler than the SJ.. congratulations! 

And re: VnR... wow, just wow
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Given the variables of the era, two or three braces, scalloped or unscalloped ? In truth, could be anything under there during the war era. The key factor being that the guys on the shop floor worked on the bracing to ensure that the top moved enough..A lovely guitar in every way
  • BingManBingMan Frets: 35
    very nice indeed! does this one have a hog top?
    BingMan said:
    very nice indeed! does this one have a hog top?
    Yep, this is it here

https://theguitarshowroom.co.uk/product/gibson-j45-banner-1943-mahogany-top/