Football - Euro 2020 Championship

What's Hot

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2776
    I think opening ceremonies bring the local community and those who are not sport people into a joined up celebration of sport and the country.  I think they are good things as long as they keep speeches to a minimum .  Otherwise it can just be another athletics etc meet - it contributes in part to making it special 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Ooh roast Turkey! 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7207
    Hard to believe that was Italy , not just because of the white kit but the tempo was fantastic. I love watching teams that play like that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    Hard to believe that was Italy , not just because of the white kit but the tempo was fantastic. I love watching teams that play like that
    There was a bit of a buzz pre-tournament about this 'attacking' Italian side - many say they won't win, but they could go along way and both surprise/entertain - We've not seen a good Italian side for a while, so this side almost has slipped in thru' the back door
  • ewalewal Frets: 2587
    I think England are going to win it. They are great. They'll cruise out their group. There are no banana skins. The EPL is the finest league in the universe bar none. It's coming home (even though football actually started in another country). Enjoy the tournament lads ;-)
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 942
    edited June 2021
    Despite playing a more traditional 'catanaccio' style, italy have put in some absolutely blinding footballing performances in the past - when needed. Most of the time it was a case of 'go 1-0 up and defend', but when it was tactically called for, those teams could easily up the ante and play with style, so it's not anything new. That semi final vs germany in 06 was a thing of beauty, from both sides. Never seen a better game of football. The final was absolutely dire, but it called for different 'negative' tactics, which of course got the job done (with the help of zidane's head). For the neutral though, it's good to see them adopt a more modern flair as their 'default' style of play though. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    ewal said:
    I think England are going to win it. They are great. They'll cruise out their group. There are no banana skins. The EPL is the finest league in the universe bar none. It's coming home (even though football actually started in another country). Enjoy the tournament lads ;-)
    What other country?
    At the the risk of derailing the thread, although clearly it's one of these things like who invented television or the light bulb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48831909

edited June 2021
    Anyway Scotland have a great group of players coming through at long last. Don't think we've found the answer up front yet. In actual fact, I think we have, it's just that he's not in the squad. But defence and midfield are looking great. And Steve Clarke is as good as they come.

Kieran Tierney, Nathan Patterson, Billy Gilmour, Stuart Armstrong, David Turnbull - I just hope they get the chance and show us the obvious potential they have. I don't really care about the result.

Also brilliant to see three ex-Thistle players in the squad. And if only Liam Lindsay had progressed the way I thought he would - he looked the best of that particular group of boys at the time.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    ewal said:
    At the the risk of derailing the thread, although clearly it's one of these things like who invented television or the light bulb.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48831909

Not exactly convincing.
    It's history. It's debatable. Let's just leave it at that. As I said, England are great. They're going to romp through to the semis at least. Enjoy!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    Is good to see Wales using the flat back 9 to hold onto their draw again the Swiss 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12400
    If you take points from teams better than you then you have a reasonable chance of qualifying. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12923
    ewal said:
    Anyway Scotland have a great group of players coming through at long last. Don't think we've found the answer up front yet. In actual fact, I think we have, it's just that he's not in the squad. But defence and midfield are looking great. And Steve Clarke is as good as they come.

Kieran Tierney, Nathan Patterson, Billy Gilmour, Stuart Armstrong, David Turnbull - I just hope they get the chance and show us the obvious potential they have. I don't really care about the result.

Also brilliant to see three ex-Thistle players in the squad. And if only Liam Lindsay had progressed the way I thought he would - he looked the best of that particular group of boys at the time.
    I'm still in shock that Nisbet seems to have got some actual talent. A long way from the guy we punted. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    edited June 2021
    Eriksen just collapsing with no one near him was chilling. I just pray he pulls through. Really puts the game into perspective.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    fob said:
    Eriksen just collapsing with no one near him was just chilling. I just pray he pulls through. Really puts the game into perspective.
    best wishes to CE - Hope he pulls through
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    That was devastating. Can't believe BBC stayed with the video from the stadium so long - showing his wife and close ups of the CPR.  Really awful stuff to watch. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Horrible to see, just awful. Please, please pull through. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22198
    fob said:
    Eriksen just collapsing with no one near him was chilling. I just pray he pulls through. Really puts the game into perspective.
    It's the few seconds before his collapse that's hit me, the way he walked. I've seen that before close up during a sports match and it's brought back a lot of immensely sad memories. The guy in question survived. I hope the same happens here for his and for the sake of his family.  

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Truly awful thing to see.