How do you amplify your acoustic?

What's Hot
AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
in Acoustics tFB Trader
Just a little market research - What's your signal chain, and why?
Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xscaramangaxscaramanga Frets: 436
    Fishman Aura preamp pedal, direct into whatever PA is available.

It's the only thing I've ever tried. Someone recommended it to me when I needed an acoustic preamp, and it works.

Been getting some hum with it lately that I can't figure out how to eradicate, but otherwise it's great. 
    My YouTube channel, Half Speed Solos: classic guitar solos demonstrated at half speed with scrolling tab and no waffle.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    edited June 2021
    Various passive soundhole magnetic pickups into a Grace Bix preamp straight to PA (or my very excellent Acus acoustic amp). Does all I need and sounds great. 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1090
    Takamine on-board electrics into Kemper using a mic'd profile of an AKG451 into mixer (usually for online lessons). If in the room I will unplugged. Looking for a way to amplify my recently acquired Martin D28.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Depends on the guitar but normally straight into the PA.  If I'm using something with an undersaddle piezo then I use a TC Bodyrez pedal to make it sound a bit more natural.  My number one acoustic has a blender pickup system with a gooseneck mic, so I don't bother with the Bodyrez on that.

I do have a Fishman Loudbox Mini that I use in small venues where there isn't a proper PA.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Direct into acoustic amp but usually into PA. However I do have a helix Lt but that's a big old thing to carry round.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    edited June 2021
    K&K Pure Mini > K&K Pure XLR preamp > AER Compact 60.

I can put vocals into the AER as well as guitar and it has a great ability to radiate sound, so it basically means I can do a gig with just that. One trip in from the car, job done. If I ever find myself doing a bigger gig again in the future I'd use the line out from the AER into the house PA and keep the AER as a monitor.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Depends what I want to do...

Gibson Dove or Martin 12-string: passive Fishman UST into Boss AD-8 into Acus One or PA.

Vintage V300M - Fishman Rare Earth into Boss ME-50 into Peavey Studio Pro. This is for electric-acoustic sounds with overdrive and electric guitar effects.

I would probably just plug the Rare Earth straight into the PA for open-mic type stuff too, but there hasn't been any of that since I got it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5397
    Pubs/live/stage FIshman Matrix Blend mostly on the piezo setting to minimise feedback. Normally then direct to PA, but sometimes into a Loudbox Mini for monitoring and then DI'd off the back of that.

In more controllable situations use the Blend but favouring the mic setting as it's nicer.

For recording, the blend on the mic setting and also external mics pointed at the guitar in the usual places, or an ambient mic.

Occasionally through a few pedals in any of the above situations (delay, reverb etc.) but not often.

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 976
    Fishman pickup into fishman aura preamp, with an mxr eq and TC electronic reverb in the effects loop. XLR out into the desk. Works very well for me, however the aura does need some time to tweak and get a good sound. Pretty happy with it though.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3313
    edited June 2021
    Fishman Rare Earth into a Roland Micro Cube on the Acoustic Model (acts as a preamp and adds fx, normally, just Reverb) to an Orchid Electronics DI Box then finally, to the PA
  • SammySammy Frets: 129
    I just play mine in my loft conversion with the velux windows wide open on both sides and everyone in the rear gardens and out the front can hear it, no pickup and amplification required. =)  Plus haven't had anyone tell me to turn the sound down yet! ;)
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2299
    Live, I use a Taylor T5 custom through a Schertler David. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    edited June 2021
    Passive under saddle piezo wired direct to jack, Zoom AC-3 direct to PA, this is how it sounds;

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3686
    edited June 2021
    Onboard piezo preamp to desk for extra EQ and FX.  Mandolin is direct piezo to jack, so goes via DI box or Hi-Z input.

Sometimes i will have a mic too at gigs and mix the pair, but its rare.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    K&K Pure Mini --> K&K XLR Preamp --> PA    or...
     K&K Pure Mini --> FlyRig Acoustic  --> PA

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3137
    Headway pickup straight into either pa through Orchid di or AER,   Sometimes might put a Boss Me 50 in the chain for some chorus an delay
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1346
    K&K Pure Mini -> K&K Preamp --> either AER60 or PA
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Piezo should be left for knock sensors and lighters. Nothing good happens when used in guitars 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    Andy79 said:
    Piezo should be left for knock sensors and lighters. Nothing good happens when used in guitars
    They're fine when they're used to drive modellers like the Aura, Boss or Zoom with the blend set to pure model, so you don't actually hear the hideous thing itself... the modellers are specifically designed to work with a UST so you do get the best results with one that way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    At home I rarely amplify - if I do I use my Yamaha THR10C. At church I go into the PA via pedals: Tuner, Boss OC-3, Tremolo, Delay, Reverb. Reverb is always on