New PRS Hendrix amps

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    jdgm said:
    Edit:  Looks like he played the (no longer there) Star Hotel in London Road in 1967.
    Whoops!
    Many apologies to all - that was it, the Star.  I was asked "guess who once stood where you're standing?"

Anyway I'm sure the new PRS amp sounds good.

:)

Hey no problem, I was just scratching my head wondering if we were thinking of the same place!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    Butch Walker put a demo up on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQbj1hUAkO3/?utm_medium=copy_link

I'm a huge fan of Butch, but listening on my laptop, I thought his tone with the Les Paul was horrible. I like it with the Strat though, which is what matters for a Hendrix amp.
    i thought the prs demos sounded nice but this guy sounds like wank
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited June 2021
    p90fool said:
    Voxman said:
    And there's me thinking Jimi played through Super Lead 100 Marshall stacks. B   Who knew these were actually PRS amps that gave the genuine Woodstock tone!  o

I want to sound like Hendrix so I'm immediately going out to buy one of these PRS amps, right now...

....NOT! !
    I think you've missed the point, the circuit mods in those Hendrix amps is a bit more important than the badge on the front, and that's what PRS are going after. 
    Honestly, I haven't missed the point at all, & I read about the circuit.  But this amp won't make you sound like Hendrix and its Hendrix wannabees that this amp is aimed at, by definition. If you have the serious skills and technique to sound like Hendrix, then any half decent Marshall is all you need.   If you don't, this amp ain't gonna help you.  Hendrix even played through Fender amps, and he still sounded like Hendrix. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5809
    Butch Walker put a demo up on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQbj1hUAkO3/?utm_medium=copy_link

I'm a huge fan of Butch, but listening on my laptop, I thought his tone with the Les Paul was horrible. I like it with the Strat though, which is what matters for a Hendrix amp.
    Isn't that just because, more often than not, Strats sound wonderful and Les Pauls.... well they just don't. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31664
    Voxman said:
    p90fool said:
    Voxman said:
    And there's me thinking Jimi played through Super Lead 100 Marshall stacks. B   Who knew these were actually PRS amps that gave the genuine Woodstock tone!  o

I want to sound like Hendrix so I'm immediately going out to buy one of these PRS amps, right now...

....NOT! !
    I think you've missed the point, the circuit mods in those Hendrix amps is a bit more important than the badge on the front, and that's what PRS are going after. 
    Honestly, I haven't missed the point at all, & I read about the circuit.  But this amp won't make you sound like Hendrix and its Hendrix wannabees that this amp is aimed at, by definition. If you have the serious skills and technique to sound like Hendrix, then any half decent Marshall is all you need.   If you don't, this amp ain't gonna help you.  Hendrix even played through Fender amps, and he still sounded like Hendrix. 
    Well it's just a Marshall circuit with a few contemporary mods which Marshall themselves don't offer, and you don't have to be a Hendrix wannabe, it's doubtless perfect for most pre-1980 rock. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with a guy in a shed developing and releasing the idea, it seems a shame to slag off the idea just because PRS products weren't around when Hendrix was. 

The circuit is historically interesting and sounds good, it doesn't HAVE to say Marshall on the front for those two things to happen. 

I'm not a huge fan of PRS and love traditional Marshalls, but this strikes me as a total amp nerd bringing an obsessively detailed, quirky and interesting circuit to market, and for that he should be applauded in my book, whatever the name on the front.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    p90fool said:
    Voxman said:
    p90fool said:
    Voxman said:

....NOT! !
    Well it's just a Marshall circuit with a few contemporary mods which Marshall themselves don't offer, and you don't have to be a Hendrix wannabe, it's doubtless perfect for most pre-1980 rock. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem with a guy in a shed developing and releasing the idea, it seems a shame to slag off the idea just because PRS products weren't around when Hendrix was. 

The circuit is historically interesting and sounds good, it doesn't HAVE to say Marshall on the front for those two things to happen. 

I'm not a huge fan of PRS and love traditional Marshalls, but this strikes me as a total amp nerd bringing an obsessively detailed, quirky and interesting circuit to market, and for that he should be applauded in my book, whatever the name on the front.  
    Sure, I have no doubt it's a great sounding amp. I was in no way knocking the amp itself or its designers, merely that there will always be some folk who think it will make them sound like Hendrix. My point was, not without the prerequisite playing skills. And if you have the skills do you really need the PRS Hendrix amp? ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 839
    Can’t be that bad, the original PRS version was made for and used by Warren Haynes
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    Probably wouldn't buy one myself but I think it's kinda cool to have a "modern build" modded plexi. I think I would have taken the modern thing one step further with a built in attentuator/reactive load or power scaling, maybe built in IRs etc but probably would have been even more expensive! 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8191
    Finding it hard to think of any word other than pointless.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Well the guitar market is obsessed with old and old alike products just look at all the reliced guitar nonsense - I bet they sell everyone they make ;)
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I'm not hugely bothered how accurate it is to the technical spec of the Hendrix amp (although I agree you should know if it's supposed to be a replica in circuit, or a replica in voice - which you may get the sound sound using different techniques)

It does sound like a really good marshall though
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2208
    It’ll likely be built well, as well. 
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 369
    I thought the PRS HXDA was meant to be a Hendrix/Duane Allman amp, What happened to that?

I’d like a 30W version of that if anyone has one. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    When I saw HX my first thought was that it was some sort of Line 6 collaboration