Grover tuners/Hipshot Buttons- Button replacement suggestions/help

Hi there,

I'd like to swap out my Grover buttons into something more traditional in style - tulip style buttons in green/amber/other.

The only 2 aftermarket options I found were Hipshot D04 and Kluson Revolutions. Both seem to fit Grovers, but both are see through which isn't ideal.

1. Does anyone know about any other replacement?
  2. If anyone owns/ has owned these, would it be possible to fill those tuners with paint/glue on the inside to change the colour, or is the cavity strictly for the screw?
  3. Is there a way to permanently paint the plastic buttons from the outside?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Which style Grovers do you currently have? 

Some Grover button shapes are synonymous with particular gear housing designs. e.g. Imperials, waffle backs and "milk bottle".

Nowadays, the name Grover can appear on replicas of rival brand designs. e.g. Kluson keystone and butter bean types.

Tulip/keystone buttons were originally a Kluson idea. Traditional buttons in these shapes are intended to fit on a narrow, splined shaft. Grover buttons have a screw fitting into a threaded extension of the gear housing. Obviously, these formats are incompatible.

It is possible to have keystone shaped buttons that attach the Grover way. I have a Gotoh set like this. I would gladly trade the buttons from that to regular large "kidney" shaped ones.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • NCoNCo Frets: 157
    I have the original Rotomatics which have kidney beans in Nickel.

The Hipshot D04 and Revolution buttons both come with the screw and are said to fit the larger, threaded extension.

I have a few images I can send you if you'd like to take a look?
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I got some from Allparts a few years ago. I hate the kidney shaped buttons
  • NCoNCo Frets: 157
    Thanks @normula1 , but all parts seem to only sell the metal version.