What's Hot
markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
edited July 2021 in Amps
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    edited July 2021
    Oh wow, would love to try that.

Kind of funny that everyone wants a Princeton and they go XL…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27069
    It's the obvious next step. 

A Princeton would be largely pointless as they're not that loud, not at all heavy, and don't sound that great wound up. 

My guess would be something in Tweed next - 5e3 and/or Bassman
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72402
    The Super Reverb is the logical next model as they’re large, heavy and loud, and the preamp is identical to the Twin other than having no physical mid pot on the Normal channel. (It’s the same circuit but has a fixed resistor.) Basically it’s going to be the Twin with a different cabinet and speakers - even probably the same power amp as 200W is about right to simulate an overdriven 45W rather than a clean 85W. So minimal R&D cost but you get a desirable new model.

Leo Fender would recognize this approach.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    Good move for fender, can't see it replacing my 1966 SR but the lighter weight will be a welcome addition for most people i guess, and there's nothing like 4x10 pushing some air.
    I’d love to have one, but think my DR is enough for my use in an apartment.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5759
    So essentially, the same amp again in a different box. Offering us a 1x12, 2x12 and 4x10 option on a BF reverby amp is all very well but Tweed is what’s missing surely? 
  • So when exactly was it £1,299?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3564
    That's a hefty chunk of change.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Go big or go home. Super Six or nothing! :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    Slightly surprised at this.  I'd have thought the people who want Super Reverbs rather DRs or Twins would tend to be valve purists.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    ICBM said:
    The Super Reverb is the logical next model as they’re large, heavy and loud, and the preamp is identical to the Twin other than having no physical mid pot on the Normal channel. (It’s the same circuit but has a fixed resistor.) Basically it’s going to be the Twin with a different cabinet and speakers - even probably the same power amp as 200W is about right to simulate an overdriven 45W rather than a clean 85W. So minimal R&D cost but you get a desirable new model.

Leo Fender would recognize this approach.
    aside from the size of the loudspeakers, i don't quite get the point of a bigger, taller, awkward to shift TM twin. why not just get an extension cab at that point

no one's going to rehearsal swinging a tonemaster super in one hand, unless they've got legs as long as kareem abdul-jabbar. at that point i may as well carry something with some valves in. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72402
    bbill335 said:

aside from the size of the loudspeakers, i don't quite get the point of a bigger, taller, awkward to shift TM twin. why not just get an extension cab at that point
    Because the Super also has much less power and much more sag (valve rectifier not solid-state) and so can be used for overdrive much more readily than the Twin, which is more about big solid clean tone. So although the majority of the modelling would be the same, it's not identical.

I know exactly what you mean about the height - I'm only 5'6" so I find a Super a pain in the arse to move, and I'm not actually a great fan of the 4x10" format soundwise either (I much prefer the 2x12" Pro Reverb in the 40W Fender range) but I know they are popular - although interestingly, always much more so in the US where they're fairly common, rather than the UK where they're rare and the Twin was the most popular model.

Even then, a Super that was half the weight would still be far easier to carry, and possibly easier than a valve Pro.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    It weighs 36lbs rather than 65lbs.  That is conveniently light.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    if these sound anything as good as any of the tonemaster fans say, i would love to see them replace marshall MGs and now katanas as the crap ubiquitous practice room SS amp. but given how much they cost, i highly doubt it.
    since they're so much lighter than a "real" valve amp, i sort of think they should put all of the different models into one head unit and sell different cabs, but in a way that they attach together and can be carried as a combo. so you have your 4x10 super cab at the lockup, but for getting to a gig on the bus, you hook it up to the 1x12 deluxe cab. with different power scale options on the amp, like a katana but good.

saying all this, i don't know that the tonemasters do, in fact, sound good as i've never played one!
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Now that amp makes a lot of sense! Can't wait to hear that.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    So for anyone who's used one of the other tonemaster amps, how do they take pedals, specifically dirt pedals? Cos these interest me but if they sound shite with drive pedals then I might as well never bother. 
    So for anyone who's used one of the other tonemaster amps, how do they take pedals, specifically dirt pedals? Cos these interest me but if they sound shite with drive pedals then I might as well never bother. 
    They sound great with overdrive pedals. Also, the amp drive is really nice. I played mine at rehearsal last week on the 5 watt setting and the amp cranked up, it sounded fantastic. I used my Full Drive for a boost and it worked perfectly.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    edited July 2021 tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    since they're so much lighter than a "real" valve amp, i sort of think they should put all of the different models into one head unit and sell different cabs, but in a way that they attach together and can be carried as a combo. so you have your 4x10 super cab at the lockup, but for getting to a gig on the bus, you hook it up to the 1x12 deluxe cab. with different power scale options on the amp, like a katana but good.

saying all this, i don't know that the tonemasters do, in fact, sound good as i've never played one!

They do that it's called a Kemper but it appeals to a different market.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1025
    They sound great with overdrive pedals. Also, the amp drive is really nice. I played mine at rehearsal last week on the 5 watt setting and the amp cranked up, it sounded fantastic. I used my Full Drive for a boost and it worked perfectly.
    Well that's depressing. More money that I'll definitely end up spending at some point in the future :D