Looks like a Tonemaster Super Reverb is on the way

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    bbill335 said:
    since they're so much lighter than a "real" valve amp, i sort of think they should put all of the different models into one head unit and sell different cabs, but in a way that they attach together and can be carried as a combo. so you have your 4x10 super cab at the lockup, but for getting to a gig on the bus, you hook it up to the 1x12 deluxe cab. with different power scale options on the amp, like a katana but good.

saying all this, i don't know that the tonemasters do, in fact, sound good as i've never played one!

They do that it's called a Kemper but it appeals to a different market.
    kemper also looks like it was knicked off the red dwarf set whereas fender have a fairly good track record with amp aesthetics. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17686
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    bbill335 said:
    since they're so much lighter than a "real" valve amp, i sort of think they should put all of the different models into one head unit and sell different cabs, but in a way that they attach together and can be carried as a combo. so you have your 4x10 super cab at the lockup, but for getting to a gig on the bus, you hook it up to the 1x12 deluxe cab. with different power scale options on the amp, like a katana but good.

saying all this, i don't know that the tonemasters do, in fact, sound good as i've never played one!

They do that it's called a Kemper but it appeals to a different market.
    kemper also looks like it was knicked off the red dwarf set whereas fender have a fairly good track record with amp aesthetics. 

What I mean is it's very tempting to think they should do something with a million options but people buying Tonemasters don't want any of that.

The whole appeal is the market of people who have no objection to digital kit but can't be arsed with menus etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27267
    ^^ Exactly 

Ive had a full-fat Helix and have enough money for a Kemper but I don’t want that level of faff. The TMDR is perfect because it sounds like a classic Deluxe Reverb, looks great and has all the value-add stuff in a way that’s easy to use. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    you're telling me an all-in-one weightless fender head with effectively just  vol, TMB, rev/trem and a power scaling/circuit switch round the back is too complicated versus whatever the craic is with helix/kemper
    edited July 2021
    bbill335 said:
    you're telling me an all-in-one weightless fender head with effectively just  vol, TMB, rev/trem and a power scaling/circuit switch round the back is too complicated versus whatever the craic is with helix/kemper
    Separate head and cab with switchable preamps that still won’t sound right unless you out then through the right cab? And that would have bright switches and mid controls but in some models they might not work? That also won’t look like a classic Fender blackface combo? 

Compared to a one-hand-carry Deluxe where I don’t ever touch any knobs at all? Yep
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    what i'm imagining is nowhere near that complicated but ok.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2227
    Yeah, the Super is the logical next amp, and I'd be interested to see them do a tweed bassman.  

Can't see the point of a 5e3 though. It's already lightweight and quiet. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17686
    tFB Trader
    bbill335 said:
    what i'm imagining is nowhere near that complicated but ok.

The thing is you would be thinking hmm maybe I'd just like a JCM800 sound and suddenly you are back at a Kemper.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5812
    Fishboy7 said:………

That’s a broken 5e3 then. A good one will go from not making any noise at about 2 on the volume to tearing down buildings at 3. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2324
    dazzajl said:

That’s a broken 5e3 then. A good one will go from not making any noise at about 2 on the volume to tearing down buildings at 3. ;)
    I think if Fender made a Tonemaster 5E3 they would be wise to include a software option that gave the volume control a more gradual taper. The downside would be taking away from the ‘bucking bronco’ experience of playing a 5E3.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72679
    dazzajl said:

But quite usable at 2.5 :). Or 2.3, or wherever gives you the right volume. They're not switches.

I don't find them loud enough really either - certainly shouty, but not that loud.

But I agree that a Tonemaster one is relatively pointless as they're not heavy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

dazzajl said:

Yeah, I put power scaling it mine and it was still far too loud for reasonable home use. Wonderful sounding thing when volume permits though 
  • ICBM said:
    dazzajl said:

But quite usable at 2.5 :). Or 2.3, or wherever gives you the right volume. They're not switches.

I don't find them loud enough really either - certainly shouty, but not that loud.

But I agree that a Tonemaster one is relatively pointless as they're not heavy.

I think it’s how they come in as a package for a price that should be cheaper than the equivalent amp even without budgeting an attenuator in as well.