SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED Gibson 57 classic, Seymour Duncan antiquity humbuckers

What's Hot
RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 406
edited May 2022 in Parts £
Evening all.
Looking for one or two of the above to replace my OX4 low wind PAFs. Or any other suggestions? Thank you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    What are you looking for that the OX4s aren't giving you?
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 406
    Dodge said:
    Sweeter mids and more compression. The bridge in particular sounds thin in my SG. It measures 7.6 or so DC resistance and I have also tried an alnico 2 bar instead of the 5. It had 57 classics in it in the first place, which were, I think, a little hotter, maybe 8, 8.5 k. I have since used them in another project. I could swap them back I guess but am looking for another set in the same vein.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1445
    RickLucas said:
    Dodge said:
    Sweeter mids and more compression. The bridge in particular sounds thin in my SG. It measures 7.6 or so DC resistance and I have also tried an alnico 2 bar instead of the 5. It had 57 classics in it in the first place, which were, I think, a little hotter, maybe 8, 8.5 k. I have since used them in another project. I could swap them back I guess but am looking for another set in the same vein.
    Fair enough. It'll probably help with recommendations. I happen to love OX4 low winds (albeit with A4 magnets) so I'll leave it for someone else to chime in. ;-)
    They may have been 4s, even. I don't know.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 821
    PMd
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    RickLucas said:
    They may have been 4s, even. I don't know.
    I have some Alnico 4 magnets Rick. I stuck a pair in some Antiquities once and they really sweetened up in the mids and had slightly more output. I'll give you a pair next time I see you if you want, and we need to meet up anyway so I can buy that speaker off you.
    I have just measured the DC resistance of the OX4 and the 57 bridge again: 7.7 and 7.6 K respectively, so it can't be that.  
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2402
    RickLucas said:
    I have just measured the DC resistance of the OX4 and the 57 bridge again: 7.7 and 7.6 K respectively, so it can't be that.  
    I think the resistance on the '57s is misleading, as they are higher output than you'd think. Bear in mind comparing resistance doesn't mean a thing if you don't know the magnets and wire used. The 57s are a very symmetrical wind with a lot of midrange focus, whereas I suspect the OX4s are less symmetrical by design and scatterwound, which does make a difference. 

I had a 57/57+ set in one of my LPs and it was noticeably louder than my PRS with BK Mules and my other LP with BK Emeralds, which at first glance (on paper) would appear to be hotter. 
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    timmypix said:
    RickLucas said:
    I think the resistance on the '57s is misleading, as they are higher output than you'd think. Bear in mind comparing resistance doesn't mean a thing if you don't know the magnets and wire used. The 57s are a very symmetrical wind with a lot of midrange focus, whereas I suspect the OX4s are less symmetrical by design and scatterwound, which does make a difference. 

I had a 57/57+ set in one of my LPs and it was noticeably louder than my PRS with BK Mules and my other LP with BK Emeralds, which at first glance (on paper) would appear to be hotter. 
    Thanks for that.
  • NCoNCo Frets: 163
    I might be selling my 57/57+ set, 4 braided wire, in chrome.

Love the pickups but can't stand chrome, and taking the covers off potted humbuckers is too much work.
    NCo said:
    I might be selling my 57/57+ set, 4 braided wire, in chrome.

Love the pickups but can't stand chrome, and taking the covers off potted humbuckers is too much work.
    I'd be wanting nickel and I agree with you as regards taking covers off.
    I'm taking a punt on an Alegree Old Timer, 8K alnico 2 for the bridge. The OX4 can stay where it is for the moment.
  • StuCStuC Frets: 8
    I haven't tried the low winds, but I have had standard OX4s as well as Classic '57s and Antiquities.  I have two guitars with OX4s now.  I found the '57 Classics harsh and two dimensional.

I didn't like Antiquities either - low output and dull tone.  They were improved by swapping in the magnets from the '57 Classics, but still nothing special.  Maybe it's just me.  I have Antiquity P-90s and Tele pickups that I really like, but I've never found an SD humbucker that I wanted to keep.
    StuC said:
    I haven't tried the low winds, but I have had standard OX4s as well as Classic '57s and Antiquities.  I have two guitars with OX4s now.  I found the '57 Classics harsh and two dimensional.

I didn't like Antiquities either - low output and dull tone.  They were improved by swapping in the magnets from the '57 Classics, but still nothing special.  Maybe it's just me.  I have Antiquity P-90s and Tele pickups that I really like, but I've never found an SD humbucker that I wanted to keep.
    I wasn't unhappy with like the 57s and only changed them to try the OX4s that came my way. We'll see how the Old Timer performs. The 57s can always go back into the SG.