NGD: Feline pimped Epiphone Emily Wolfe

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 451
    NelsonP said:
    How are you getting on with the Emily Wolfe op?
    It's great thank you. I've played and gigged it lots and had a few compliments and questions from punters asking what it is. It's well and truly scratched my semi itch, so no Gibson 335s on the horizon for me. 
    blueskunk said:
    Lovely guitar man. Did I read right? £730 on upgrades? 
    You did. I know it's arguably a tad excessive, and yes the total spend took me into used 335 territory, but aesthetically there aren't any other 335 style guitars that I like anywhere near as much as the Emily Wolfe. I also still have the complete set of original hardware and pickups that came off it, so when I get round to selling those that could offset the cost a bit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    edited February 2022
    @davuspg ;;come on, we want to know how you are getting on with it?

Also, why did the additional tone control not fit? Looks like it should it should
  • DavusPG said:
    I posted that I'd bought this guitar in the Epiphone Emily Wolfe thread, but since then it's had a bit of an overhaul and over the past couple of days I've had time to rack up a good few hours playing on it.

As soon as these we announced I knew I'd buy one as I have always loved the look of the Trini Lopez and DG335. I actually bought one of the Trini Lopez reissues a few years back, but traded it as I didn't like the bridge - a stupid decision with hindsight but you live and learn! That said I much prefer the smaller headstock on the Emily Wolfe. 

Out of the box the guitar was pretty good, some issues with the higher frets, but otherwise a decent and usable guitar. I wasn't sure if I'd like the satin gold hardware and as soon as I saw it in the flesh decided it would be going, so after one rehearsal with the band, off it went to Feline where we got a little carried away with the upgrades:

BK Mule in the bridge
    BK Cold Sweat in the neck
    Faber bridge, tailpiece and posts
    Switchcraft jack on the side
    New chrome switchcraft pickup switch
    3 way coil tap switch where the original jack was
    Ratio tuners
    Fret dress and full setup

The only things left untouched were the pots (which are CTS) and the nut, which on reflection we might as well have upgraded to an Earvana, but that can wait for another day.

I picked it up from Feline a few days ago and to say I'm pleased with it is an understatement - I love it. 

I've given the Indian Laurel fretboard a couple of doses of fretboard conditioner and that's darkened quite nicely too.

Aesthetically the guitar is much more to my liking, not quite a Trini or DG335 due to the matt black finish and cream binding, but I like the fact that it's different. It's sonically and the playability that are the real improvements though. The BK Mule came from another of my guitars so I knew how good a pickup that is, but the Cold Sweat is superb. The guitar will comfortably cover all the bases for the songs my band plays which range from Beatles to Foo Fighters and it feels like a quality instrument. I'd never heard of Ratio tuners til Jonathan recommended them, but they're ultra smooth and the tuning stability is great.

The coil tap switch that's been added in the old jack location goes from both coils, to single coil neck & both coils on the bridge, to single coils on neck and bridge. A very handy switch that will get lots of use.

As expected the guys at Feline have worked their magic with the fret dress and setup, and the guitar plays brilliantly.

The upgrades weren't cheap, but much cheaper than the alternative diamond soundhole semis and I've ended up with a guitar that I love the look of, and that plays and sounds fantastic. Can't wait to gig it in a few weeks. Thanks as always to Jonathan, Tom and the guys at Feline.

That is so cool , love that Matt black  nice n sleazy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2022
    NelsonP said:
    @davuspg ;;;;come on, we want to know how you are getting on with it?

Also, why did the additional tone control not fit? Looks like it should it should
    Like I said, it's great. I've racked up a lot of hours on it and am pleased with the upgrades. 

Is it my best playing and most comfortable guitar? No, but then it's up against a Feline Lion, several Suhr, Gibson, Fender and Ibanez guitars for that accolade and I find smaller guitars more comfortable and easier to play.

Do I still enjoy playing it? Absolutely

Does it look and sound the bollocks? Most definitely yes

As for the additional tone not fitting, that was the assessment of @FelineGuitars and that was good enough for me. I don't miss it and quite like the fact that it's different.

If I could change anything else on it I'd have an ebony board with split diamond inlays, but it's staying as it is.

@NelsonP I take it you haven't managed to try one yet, as I know you've been interested in this model since they were announced 
    No, haven't been able to find one, they are pretty rare!
    edited June 2022
    @DavusPG Just checking in to see how you are getting on with your Epi now. I ended up buying this Epi 335 in the end. The saving vs a new Emily Wolfe was significant....

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/223972/sold-epiphone-inspired-by-gibson-es335-in-vintage-sunburst-350-posted

I'm debating a pickup and electrics upgrade but think it will be too pricey for marginal gains. Would be interested to hear your thoughts as the pickups are the same as the stock ones in the Emily Wolfe.
    Since I picked up a Suhr Pete Thorn sig earlier this year, very few of my guitars have got a look in, including the Epi - in fact I've not touched it. I've been playing a lot more guitar than I have for many years and the Suhr has become my go to. It plays brilliantly, stays in tune for days and days, and tonally covers everything I play. 

What I can say though is that the pickup upgrade on the Emily Wolfe was much more than a marginal gain. It lasted one rehearsal with the stock ones, the Bareknuckles that replaced them are far more punchy and articulate. Everything else I replaced was largely cosmetic, but the pickups and the fret dress and set up by Feline are what elevated it in my opinion.

Full discolure - I've been lusting over a Gibson 345 for quite a while now, so the Emily Wolfe obviously hasn't completely scratched the ES itch. What has changed though is that I know full well that if I were to get one, it'd most likely still be the Suhr that gets played the most
    edited June 2022
    Thanks very much. Not sure I could stretch to £3k but those Suhr's do look amazing. Think I need to try a Gibson before changing electrics and pickups.
    They're certainly not cheap, I was lucky to find a used one on here. Given that I'm now seriously considering offloading some of my collection though it's arguably money well spent... at least until the next shiny guitar shaped thing catches my eye!

I've had a Gibson Trini Lopez reissue and numerous Les Pauls, and an SG. Some were great, some not so much, but if you get a good one I suspect you'd be hard pressed not to notice the difference between that and the Epi. Whether it's worth the extra cost though is down to the individual 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2022
    Thats really interesting. My assumption is that the Gibson equivalent would be instantly and noticeably in a different league to the Epi. But your experience seems to challenge that assumption a bit.

I am feeling a need to consolidate and upgrade my collection of guitars though....
    I think you may have mis-read my post. I've owned 1 Epiphone which is the Emily Wolfe. It's better than I expected it would be and a decent quality guitar, but the materials and feel aren't the same as a Gibson and in my experience of the Gibson's that I've owned, a good Gibson is going to trump an Epiphone every time. 

One of the reasons I'm hankering to scratch the Gibson 345 itch is because I'm expecting it to feel and play better than the Epiphone I already have, but it will also cost a hell of a lot more money. If it was going to be my only or my main guitar then I could justify that, but from my experience of the the ES body shape guitars I've owned and played, I know that the Suhr is still going to be a better fit for me and the one I reach for more often than not, so am thinking I can't really justify tying up a load of extra cash in a guitar that I still wouldn't use a great deal. Of course that mindset will no doubt change once GAS takes hold again!