MIDI experts help!

What's Hot
JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
edited July 2021 in FX
I need a simple MIDI switcher for TWO Strymon pedals (BigSky/Volante).

I just need it to switch between them (will never need it to send messages to both at once) and cycle through their patches, up and down. That's it. Think of a Tech 21 Midi Mouse - except two of them and half the size. I have just tried the One Control Gecko III - which looked the business but was basically hopeless for that purpose and the manual unintelligible.

Any suggestions welcome!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CFHCFH Frets: 456
    edited July 2021
    I'm no expert, but I've just picked up a Disaster Area Qconnect to do exactly what you'd like to do, but with Meris pedals.

I haven't set it up yet so I'm not sure how easy it is yet, but it certainly looks easy in the manual!

The Morningstar Mc3 also looks great but perhaps a bit more complex and also more expensive. I didn't want to faff around with 1.4mm to 1/4" jack adaptors either. 

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    the answer is always Morningstar. Idiot proof operation, and they work perfectly. they do a size to suit all - I suspect you're after an MC3. Hit @ThorpyFX up, im sure he can sort you out. 

NO RELATION. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Thanks all. I'll contact Thorpy. He actually sold me an MC6 which I use with the HX Stomp (just one patch turning various fx on and off) but I am buggered if I can figure out how to use that also to send messages to the BigSky and Volante. Especially to do so entirely independently from each other and the Stomp.

MIDI is totally baffling to me

JohnPerry said:
    Thanks all. I'll contact Thorpy. He actually sold me an MC6 which I use with the HX Stomp (just one patch turning various fx on and off) but I am buggered if I can figure out how to use that also to send messages to the BigSky and Volante. Especially to do so entirely independently from each other and the Stomp.

MIDI is totally baffling to me
    Assign each a different midi channel. Job done. Think of a midi channel as a language, that only the device set to receive it can understand. So if you assign your bigsky channel 1, and volante 2, any messages sent on 1 will only be listened to by the bigsky. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Well, Gav. I owe you one.

I'd over-complicated it, so telling me it was bone-headedly simple was exactly what I needed!

Couple of hours later I have the MC6 rigged up and controlling Stomp, BigSky and Volante - and the difference it has made is surprisingly huge. I've actually learned a fair bit about all three of these this evening.

And the Morningstar kit is great. Onwards now to an MC8! Pity there's no MC5. Now that would be a pedal

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No worries at all. Feel free to give me a shout at any point if there’s something specific you’re trying to achieve with it and I’ll see if I can help