Transcribing progress

What's Hot
Well it’s took me probably over a couple of weeks to get 55 seconds done so far ,out of about a 5minute 48 second piece . I had a few days I could not fit it in to my schedule so was dreading it today 
but I managed to do about 16 notes in 30 to 40 minutes , best thing was , after I had done it , I thought oh I’ll see if I can figure out what it’s doing and I found out the lick was in box 5 of the blues scale and managed to transcribe it to boxes 5 ,4 and 3 in A minor before having a rest, now I’ve got a cool lick which I should use and remember more and adapt  so I’m quite chuffed .

The thing that takes time up sometimes is getting the flow of the previous piece that leads into the current bit I’m learning / figuring out  I probably was longer than 30 -40 minutes but counted 30 as that’s when I seriously started .

its quite tricky for beginners as even in relatively small box areas there are a few combinations ,and if you’re a bit cloth eared you can take a wrong road before you get it sounding right (hopefully) lol
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kelpbedskelpbeds Frets: 182
    Do you use the 'transcribe' software? Really helps.
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4156
    kelpbeds said:
    Do you use the 'transcribe' software? Really helps.
    Yes , just in a basic way , every completed section gets marked by hitting m and saved 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    I think you'll get faster at transcribing the more you do it, and it's worth persevering with. I'm no expert at it, but I have found that approaching it with an open mind and listening really carefully helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    CarpeDiem said:
    I think you'll get faster at transcribing the more you do it, and it's worth persevering with. I'm no expert at it, but I have found that approaching it with an open mind and listening really carefully helps.
    So true, when I was younger and I had more time I got obsessed with this.  
    CarpeDiem said:
    Thank you , sometimes when I look back at something I’ve done , I see an easier way to have done it lol , it’s murder though trying to wring out which notes are playing sometimes 

CarpeDiem said:
    I usually allow 20 to 40 minutes , sometimes you feel like you could go on and on while others you’re pleased to stop  ,it can be a bit of a strain on the brain 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I did one song ever, a prog instrumental about 7 mins long. I tried it a decade ago and couldn't get anywhere. Went back 5 years ago with steely determination and figured it out over many many months. I have a very poor ear for music though and struggle with fast bits (just guess an approximation).

One thing I will say though, I am chronically bad at learning anything from TAB, but a long process of learning the notes without TAB ingrained it in my memory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    axisus said:
    I did one song ever, a prog instrumental about 7 mins long. I tried it a decade ago and couldn't get anywhere. Went back 5 years ago with steely determination and figured it out over many many months. I have a very poor ear for music though and struggle with fast bits (just guess an approximation).

One thing I will say though, I am chronically bad at learning anything from TAB, but a long process of learning the notes without TAB ingrained it in my memory.
    I also find that I remember better parts that I've transcribed instead of using TAB....plus a lot of TAB appears incorrect.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    So you transcribe into TAB rather than ordinary 5-staff sheet music, right?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    viz said:
    I do. I can read sheet music on piano but not on guitar or bass
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433

CarpeDiem said:
    I usually allow 20 to 40 minutes , sometimes you feel like you could go on and on while others you’re pleased to stop  ,it can be a bit of a strain on the brain 
    Like all language based tasks, it gets easier the more you do it.  If you transcribe the same people over and over, you start to understand their musical habits and where they’ll go next.  
    viz said:
    Transcribed is a bit posh I guess for what I’m doing. I’m trying to learn something by ear and write it down in a way I can easily understand later on :) 

CarpeDiem said:
    Like all language based tasks, it gets easier the more you do it.  If you transcribe the same people over and over, you start to understand their musical habits and where they’ll go next.  
    That would be ideal