Auto-wah pedal choices?

dilithium85dilithium85 Frets: 49
I've tried manual wah pedals and I'm not competent, so looking at auto-wah but don't know whether to go for a cheap option first like the Mooer funky monkey or go all out and get a eqd spatial delivery, whick looks a lot of fun.
Some advice? Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    different beasts - wah and autowah :) I liked the WR-2 interested to try the snow white :) 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    Can't really advise on which one to buy, they're all so different. I have a 3leaf audio Wonderlove which I have found to be excellent for my funk needs. Maybe wait for the @ThorpyFX/Dan Coggin pedal. Rumour has it that it will be a mind blower.... I heard it from the man himself. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I've tried manual wah pedals and I'm not competent, so looking at auto-wah but don't know whether to go for a cheap option first like the Mooer funky monkey or go all out and get a eqd spatial delivery, whick looks a lot of fun.
    Some advice? Thanks
    The Mooer Funky Monkey works well.  I got one as a pragmatic solution for playing a particular venue with the world's smallest stage space.
    The pedal has three different voicings and you can set the range of the sweep and the speed of the cycle. 
    For me it works best when it's set not-too-intense -- because otherwise sweep cycle sounds too noticeable and automatic. 
    There are several sweet spots where you get a flavour of wah on your playing and so long as you don't leave the pedal on too long it does the job really nicely.  To be honest from an audience's point of view I could probably get by all the time with just the Mooer and dispense with my regular wah but I just happen to like the foot action too :)

• different beasts - wah and autowah :) I liked the WR-2 interested to try the snow white :) 
    The snow white demos did catch my eye. Like to try one
  • merlin said:
    Can't really advise on which one to buy, they're all so different. I have a 3leaf audio Wonderlove which I have found to be excellent for my funk needs. Maybe wait for the @ThorpyFX/Dan Coggin pedal. Rumour has it that it will be a mind blower.... I heard it from the man himself. 
    Any idea about availability? Can't seem to find match about it 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    In my limited experience with auto wahs they can be tricky to dial in as they are effected by pretty much everything else in the chain and you end up with unwanted burps. Obviously familiarity helps but there is something to be said for a basic bread and butter one like the Mooer ( based on the Boss?) which just does a job. I like the DOD 440 as a less extreme auto wah although the reissue seems to have gone off the market. 

I have a vague memory that Nita Strauss can't get on with wahs and uses an auto wah ( she has a multi fx system) instead so has fooled audiences all over the world playing with Alice Cooper. Although I might have dreamt that.     
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I tried many and the Keeley Monterey was to my ear the best sounding and the easiest one to dial in.
    Others on here hate it - but they are wrong  :)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Hattigol said:
    I tried many and the Keeley Monterey was to my ear the best sounding and the easiest one to dial in.
    Others on here hate it - but they are wrong  :)
    That's a fuzz as well? Probably pushing my price point 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    It's a fuzz as well but I use that more as a subtle boost which enhances single note stuff.

Not sure of your price point but they come up used occasionally. The good Dr @DrCornelius had one for sale but I think it went.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3546
    Be careful to get one sensitive enough to be triggered by your guitar. I had the wah rocker, and it didn't like strats. I use an old Line 6 Otto.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Snow White is my choice at the moment but when the ThorpeFX meatball comes out I’ll be getting one of them I’m sure :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • Snow White is my choice at the moment but when the ThorpeFX meatball comes out I’ll be getting one of them I’m sure :) 
    I've just seen the original meatball is going for £400+! So can't be as expensive as that I hope
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Snow White is my choice at the moment but when the ThorpeFX meatball comes out I’ll be getting one of them I’m sure :) 
    I've just seen the original meatball is going for £400+! So can't be as expensive as that I hope
    I’m sure it won’t be. But more importantly it won’t be as large as the original meatball I’m sure :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Electro-Harmonix Cock Fight offers two flavours of notch filtering. It also has an optional distortion circuit and can be triggered in several ways via an expression pedal socket. 

The BOSS AW-3 is dependable if less characterful than some rivals.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    I tried a few and didn’t like them. The Boss AW 2 is good though and that stopped my search. Very easy to dial in.
    I normally love Keely pedals but hated the Monterey.
  • Jacques Trinity is good fun as is the Pedalworx Cool Machine Wah. Has a treadle for a traditional Wah and a switch to set as an auto Wah. The Trinity is quite flexible though.