Basic video recording of live performance

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9716
Hi all

Wondered if there were any tips for video recording live performances? I know the sound won't be amazing (unless I can also rig up an interface off the mixer output) but thought it could be fun to watch back.

My concerns in trying it are:
- Battery will run out
- storage on the memory card will run out (is it possible to record to laptop hard drive instead?)
- you won't know if it's worked until afterwards.

The event I'm thinking of has largely 20 minute sets of singers with acoustic guitars or piano, I'd just want a basic video so no need to do anything cinematic quality!

I have a digital compact but the battery would not last long enough and there's not a way to charge/power the camera without removing the battery. Mrs has a DSLR but I'm a bit wary of leaving that out unattended!

Thanks
Matt
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4095
    I use a 2nd hand HD camcorder with long life battery and large sd card and an external Rode mic in the hot shoe and a cheap Chinese wide angle lense attachment.  Does a reasonable job, here's one I made earlier with it:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9716
    Thanks, I will have a look at whats around locally then just in case
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    I don't do many live videos but I try to cover myself for sound quality by recording using a mic attached to the video camera and I use a Zoom portable recorder placed where I think the sound will be good, usually near the mixer.

Check your equipment but my video and audio recorders both do at least 4 hours on a full charge so I can't imagine your 20 minute sets being a problem.
    I found lots of digital cameras and dslrs have a max 30min limit on video recording to prevent over heating. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3672
    You can get power adaptors for some SLRs.

some cameras have auto shut off after 15 mins or so of video. Mine do. Need to check specs..  You can power a GoPro from a USB power pack if you are concerned about that.

We use two canon DSLRs a compact and a couple of GoPros with clamps that can go on speaker stands on headstocks, drummer’s head, etc.  If we have issues it will be forgetting to stop/start between songs or unswapped battery dying.

Sound is usually the major letdown with in built mics and compression.  Our desk is an interface, so can record everything going through it to SD card or iPad (I use Auria app) but a small mixer and a condenser mic can put good sound into a DSLR or you could get a Rode video mic.

if you do have a laptop you can record a webcam to disk for ages and sound too.

I’d focus on sound first,,, if audiences have phones and agree to share clips, you can edit it all in.
    I found gopro to have poor low light quality video ability.   
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    edited July 2021
    I've got a Zoom Q2N HD which does the job. I have to use a USB power bank as AAs don't last for a complete gig. There's a 4k version now which will obviously be better. The audio is pretty decent too.

edit: it's a Q2N HD. Apologies. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I’ve got a couple of c100’s. I don’t think even they would capture a full gig without being stop/started or without external linear capture software.

can you get a mate to hit stop and record between songs? This would also give you each song as an independent vid rather than a continuous capture that you’d have to scan through to find each song…
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    There are loads of ways of doing it. The last streamed gig we did during lockdown we used 6 phones streaming the video to a cloud server, then that was vision mixed on a laptop and streamed to FB but all the video files are still there for download and re video mix

For audio I rigged up output of mixing desk into a USB 2 audio interface into USB hub ... then connected one iPhone to the hub using a £25 camera adapter. That phone was master audio and sound quality, being direct from desk was great. 

A modern smart phone video camera will generally be good enough and have enough memory at 1080
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9716
    Wow thanks guys some really useful information here, thank you for sharing.

The overall event lasts 2 hours and I'm not sure if I fancy having to keep jumping up and down pressing start and stop so will try and think of a way to let it run. Had not thought of a webcam I must admit, but then I may need the laptop near the mixer/amp etc to record off the line out, so unless I can find an adequate camcorder perhaps I charge up all my power banks and use my spare old phone as that has the most storage on it, and tack it to a tripod.

I'll look up the specific models mentioned in the meantime as well

Thanks again chaps
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    edited July 2021
    I use a Zoom Q4N:

https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/video-recorders/video-recorders/q4n/

It's fantastic, and is designed for live music. Just use a USB charger plug, set it up, and plug it in. Brilliant audio and video. I've used it for years - here's a clip to give you a rough idea:

https://fb.watch/v/8Or3pQxQ3/

Have it mounted with a clip attachment. Just press record, let it run throughout the gig, and stop at the end.

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    I use a 2nd hand HD camcorder with long life battery and large sd card and an external Rode mic in the hot shoe and a cheap Chinese wide angle lense attachment.  Does a reasonable job, here's one I made earlier with it:

I;'e come back to watch this again and found your facebook vids. Great band, and love your playing :)
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.