NGD - Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop 1955 Heavy Relic Limited Edition in Red Sparkle

What's Hot
vivalacoultervivalacoulter Frets: 196
edited July 2021 in Guitar
I was browsing around on a local guitar shops page just checking out what stock he had in when I came across this and had to go and try it.

After getting my head around the chunkier neck I had to have it, the tone is just phenomenal.

Also, I tried it through a Fender Supersonic 22, why are they not praised more? What a fantastic amp!

1reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SquireJapanSquireJapan Frets: 718
    I like that. I wouldn’t call it heavy relic (at least compared to what fender are calling heavy relic nowadays…)

Wear on the fretboard really doesn’t sit well with me, but I’m probably the exception :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like that. I wouldn’t call it heavy relic (at least compared to what fender are calling heavy relic nowadays…)

Wear on the fretboard really doesn’t sit well with me, but I’m probably the exception :)
    Thanks! Yes heavy relic now looks like they’ve been on tour with Hendrix for a few years!

I was unsure on the wear too but it just feels and plays like an old friend.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    Really nice.   I’ve got a 55, best neck shape for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreeze said:
    I’d never tried one before, took a little familiarisation to start but very comfortable now.
  • Happy NGD! The fretboard wear was my hang up before I recently got my CS strat as well, but now I've lived with it for a bit it's not a deal. Back of the neck I do feel but it's comfy.

What pickups are in it by the way?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4238
    Happy NGD! Looks a beauty.

I think the Supersonic 22 isn’t more popular because most people looking for a 22 watt Fender in that format at that price would rather go for a Deluxe Reverb and a pedal for drive sounds rather than an on-board drive channel.
  • Happy NGD! The fretboard wear was my hang up before I recently got my CS strat as well, but now I've lived with it for a bit it's not a deal. Back of the neck I do feel but it's comfy.

What pickups are in it by the way?
    Thanks! They’re the hand wound 55’s, really enjoying them.

Lewy said:

I think the Supersonic 22 isn’t more popular because most people looking for a 22 watt Fender in that format at that price would rather go for a Deluxe Reverb and a pedal for drive sounds rather than an on-board drive channel.
    Thanks! It’s a shame as I was honestly really impressed.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Lewy said:

I seem to recall the supersonics biggest problem was reliability?

Nice ngd fella. Looks great
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22998
    thebreeze said:
    I’d never tried one before, took a little familiarisation to start but very comfortable now.
    Is the '55 a distinct neck profile, or do they just use the 10/56 V or 54 U?

Sorry, I'm a bit obsessed with neck profiles... Great looking guitar! :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    thebreeze said:

Haha, I believe it’s the 54 U.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22998
    Philly_Q said:
    thebreeze said:

Ah!  That's what I have on mine, although the rest of it's based on a 1971 spec. :)
    Great neck profile, nice and chunky but not as big as a Nocaster.  I think it's my favourite neck.  
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    thebreeze said:

Ah!  That's what I have on mine, although the rest of it's based on a 1971 spec. :)
    Great neck profile, nice and chunky but not as big as a Nocaster.  I think it's my favourite neck.  
    I’ve not used one before this but I’m certainly a fan now.
  • https://youtu.be/_XII4jpuArE

Here’s its blue counterpart
    Great now I need to buy a blue one too!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    thebreeze said:

It’s supposedly the neck profile on my AV54 as well, but I’m sceptical since it doesn’t really feel like a U, more of a C. Anyone else feel that way?

Agreed re nocaster, I let my Tele go because the 52U was ultimately past my own comfort, but the 54 neck, 10/56v and Gibson’s 59C have all felt like cousins of each other and all comfy for me.
  • vivalacoultervivalacoulter Frets: 196
    edited July 2021
  • vivalacoultervivalacoulter Frets: 196
    edited July 2021
    Duplicate comment - please delete
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    Philly_Q said:
    Philly_Q said:
    thebreeze said:

It’s supposedly the neck profile on my AV54 as well, but I’m sceptical since it doesn’t really feel like a U, more of a C. Anyone else feel that way?

Agreed re nocaster, I let my Tele go because the 52U was ultimately past my own comfort, but the 54 neck, 10/56v and Gibson’s 59C have all felt like cousins of each other and all comfy for me.
    Mine isn’t a 54U interestingly, I can’t remember exactly what mine is though.  I’ll post a pic from the spec sheet when I get home (in a couple of days).  I’ve a feeling my one was probably commissioned as special order or something as the wording is something like neck shape “based on *********’s 55”
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11871
    Really like it.  I'm not a massive relic-ing fan but in this instance, the body 'wear' is fairly convincing compared to some and isn't over-done.  Love the colour too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom