Layla - Tedeschi Trucks Band

What's Hot
Kent747Kent747 Frets: 259
Did everyone see that Tedeschi Trucks dropped a live version of the entire Layla album this week?

It’s the most energy these songs have had in years. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Nice to see Trey in there too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    Awesome stuff - Agree recent versions have been somewhat turgid.  But this is good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    excellent - thanks for posting
    Anyone know what the 'custom built' semi-f hole guitar is with a 6 a side headstock 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Anyone know what the 'custom built' semi-f hole guitar is with a 6 a side headstock 
    Paul Languedoc.

He was the sound guy for Phish and built a couple ( I think) of guitars for Trey and later made them for a living. $20,000 for a new one. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Kent747Kent747 Frets: 259
    Paul Languedoc.

He was the sound guy for Phish and built a couple ( I think) of guitars for Trey and later made them for a living. $20,000 for a new one. 
    http://www.languedocguitars.com/guitars/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Very hard with Layla not to go ‘oh not again’ but I quite enjoyed that. I am a bit of a Tedeschi fanboy so it seems a shame she gets a bit subsumed by the 62 people on stage but as you say there is some energy in there which brings it all to life. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited July 2021
    Paul Languedoc.

Yes, my Forshage hollow body is loosely based on it.

They are not semi- they are fully hollow.
    Very hard with Layla not to go ‘oh not again’ but I quite enjoyed that. I am a bit of a Tedeschi fanboy so it seems a shame she gets a bit subsumed by the 62 people on stage but as you say there is some energy in there which brings it all to life. 
    When I saw the advert pop up for the album I thought 'oh dear', but it's similar to the Georgefest album from a few years ago - a bit of youth and exuberance and old songs feel fresh again. Makes Clapton's modern live versions of Layla seem....you know.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Apart from looking like she was reading pretty much every line of the lyrics that was great. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Really great version. And Trucks finally looks old enough to have got that good at guitar without making deals at crossroads… :D 

And now I wanted a posher, older SG…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:
    Paul Languedoc.

Yes, my Forshage hollow body is loosely based on it.

They are not semi- they are fully hollow.
    thanks guys for the info
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6683
    octatonic said:
    Trey Parker? Can we please, please, please have the version sung by Cartman? 

Overall very professional sounding band. That guy on the SG sounded a lot like Eric Clapton during his Derek and the Dominoes years....  =)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Layla with an in tune slide guitar Yayyyyyy does a happy little jig :)
    sweepy said:
    Layla with an in tune slide guitar Yayyyyyy does a happy little jig :)
    That for me was the most pleasing part - oh hey, intonation....
    merlin said:
    octatonic said:
    Trey Parker? Can we please, please, please have the version sung by Cartman? 

Overall very professional sounding band. That guy on the SG sounded a lot like Eric Clapton during his Derek and the Dominoes years....  =)
    Anastasio.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Excellent. Thanks for posting.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22822
    I've never properly listened to the Tedeschi Trucks Band but now I'm tempted to listen to the whole album.  This is, dare I say it, better than the original.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Susan Tedeschi CDs are often played at Hi-Fi shows to demo systems.  Be careful, you might end up buying expensive cables.........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    Philly_Q said:
    I've never properly listened to the Tedeschi Trucks Band but now I'm tempted to listen to the whole album.  This is, dare I say it, better than the original.
    It is a great performance, but better than the original? I don't think so. Trucks guitar playing is skilled but lacks the emotional weight of Clapton's original. It's especially apparent when it segues into Pt 2 - Clapton's playing is full of physical yearning, Trucks is just a cool slide solo with little emotional weight. A song like Layla, that you've heard a million times in every situation from the supermarket stroll to Radio 2 playlist can lose its power to astonish but it is an astonishing piece of music. Seeing Tedeschi Trucks performance (good as it is) just made me realise how good the original was and still is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:
    Philly_Q said:
    It is a great performance, but better than the original? I don't think so. Trucks guitar playing is skilled but lacks the emotional weight of Clapton's original. It's especially apparent when it segues into Pt 2 - Clapton's playing is full of physical yearning, Trucks is just a cool slide solo with little emotional weight. A song like Layla, that you've heard a million times in every situation from the supermarket stroll to Radio 2 playlist can lose its power to astonish but it is an astonishing piece of music. Seeing Tedeschi Trucks performance (good as it is) just made me realise how good the original was and still is.
    I don’t know. I may be in the camp of this is an improvement. The horns are great. And the playing is just so good.