Drive/boost into solid state help

What's Hot

Comments

• Reggae band here too, (well, mutant reggae), so the same criteria.
    I use a Quilter Problock, because I don't like carrying stuff. I use the guitar's volume knob (cheaper than a boost pedal!) and a Mooer rat clone (Black Secret?) for those occasional noisy bits.
    I've used a Katana 100 and a Tonemaster in rehearsal rooms, both can be fine for what you're after. The JC and Bandit too, though they weigh a bit.
    (Digitech Freqout for fake feedback?) 
    Hey @SurfinSirFari  - I'd love to hear some mutant reggae.... where do I go?\

Dont like carrying stuff? your speaking my language! I've sold the heavy tube amp today so am officially on the SS hunt - the dummer has a fender champion that I can use until I alight on the right amp - I like the JC series - for the lineage - but they are HEAVY..... I am really thinking Katana.... not originally but effective....

Then it'll just be a pedal for the noisy bits 

I had a digitech freqout and sold it on here - could never get it to behave predictably at gigs - though its more than likely that was done to me than the pedal - the fake feedback thing isnt essential anyway - just for those occasions in the breakdown and you want to get some feedback on the go before you all come back in....just me? I use a EHX freeze for that moment - get to the breakdown the freeze sustains a note over the continuing bass and drums and then I kills it with some delay.... anyway thanks for the input @SurfinSirFari - let me knwo where I can hear some stuff 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Sounds to me like the forum favourite/bête noire* - the Boss Katana - might do the job for you. Choice of all the Boss built in effects and, being as it's a Boss/Roland product, I assume there's a JC120 amp model in there somewhere.

You probably wouldn't even need the EP Booster with a decent dual footswitch (there's even a 6 button option for the Katana 100).

I think you're right in your assessment of the Tube Screamer into a clean amp.

*delete as appropriate :)

I would stump up a bit more for the Blues Cube 

I like the Katana, but the clean channel isn't the best (though it takes pedals very well). It wouldn't be my choice for a Ska gig.
    Oh really - thats really interesting - thank you @monquixote - I appreciate the share.... I was leaning toward the Katana.... it seems like a solid base for a gigging amp - in that you can easily go in different directions as. required..... if you dont mind sharing why do you prefer the blues cube? 

I am looking for that off beat skank........
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader

Sounds to me like the forum favourite/bête noire* - the Boss Katana - might do the job for you. Choice of all the Boss built in effects and, being as it's a Boss/Roland product, I assume there's a JC120 amp model in there somewhere.

You probably wouldn't even need the EP Booster with a decent dual footswitch (there's even a 6 button option for the Katana 100).

I think you're right in your assessment of the Tube Screamer into a clean amp.

*delete as appropriate :)

I would stump up a bit more for the Blues Cube 

I like the Katana, but the clean channel isn't the best (though it takes pedals very well). It wouldn't be my choice for a Ska gig.
    Oh really - thats really interesting - thank you @monquixote - I appreciate the share.... I was leaning toward the Katana.... it seems like a solid base for a gigging amp - in that you can easily go in different directions as. required..... if you dont mind sharing why do you prefer the blues cube? 

I am looking for that off beat skank........

I can't tell you about the Blues Cube specifically because I haven't owned one, but I have played lots of amps and didn't love the clean channel on the Katana for that bright clean sound. 

I know that the Blues Cube is rated very highly by a number of people especially for its clean sound and it's a step up in quality from the Katana.

I have played various JCs which I think would do a better job. 

Other amps include the Tech21 TM60 which I have owned and various Quilters I have tried which are excellent and light.

• There's just going to be a lot of 'it depends' but as everyone says essentially most SS amps are going to respond differently to overdrives although it might just be about tuning them in differently.

There is a section of this where they mess around with a JC40 plugging in some posh overdrives, they don't go down the MIAB route but just dial in the sound they want. They are using both sides of the DandM Drive which something like the equivalent of a Tubescreamer into a Bluesbreaker (?).

A Tubescreamer by itself might be a bit boxy so without going down the stacking pedals route maybe something like the EQD Plumes which is a bit more of a fatter tubescreamer and the three way switch means you can make it less tubescreamerish. Also has a momentary mode so you can just stand on it whilst playing a short solo/ fill and it goes off when you take your foot off it.   

I understand what your saying about the TS being a bit boxy - you get away with that going into a fender tube amp with absorbs that boxing ting with its bell like clarity. 

I've sold the tube amp today so now on the look out for the SS amp - once I get that I'll try the Exotic boost and TS and then alter as required.....

I will not miss carrying the amp I dont think @EricTheWeary ;

Since the pandemic has taken effect work has spun even further out of control - I am working as a family court advisor and its desperate. I am planning on pairing down my gear and making it simple. I've really enjoyed demoing some simple Ska songs that I hope the band can use- its been fun 

• I'll have a look at real big fish - I'll be entirely grateful to you for putting me onto Ghost of Marcus Garvey and Best dressed chicken thank you @EricTheWeary ;

I have to confess to my biased and snobby view of those third wave American bands - I wrote them off without even listening to them - I thought they were too far toward American punky pop and not close enough to the heavy drum and bass I love.... I made that decision without really listening to the records - which is an unforgivable sin in music isnt it 

• I can't tell you about the Blues Cube specifically because I haven't owned one, but I have played lots of amps and didn't love the clean channel on the Katana for that bright clean sound. 

I know that the Blues Cube is rated very highly by a number of people especially for its clean sound and it's a step up in quality from the Katana.

I have played various JCs which I think would do a better job. 

Other amps include the Tech21 TM60 which I have owned and various Quilters I have tried which are excellent and light.
    I really suspect your right - the best sound is the JC isnt it? I've played the 120 and its on a lot of records I love. it just is as heavy a  tube amp..... I wonder if a smaller JC would do a job on stage? 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22132
    I really suspect your right - the best sound is the JC isnt it? I've played the 120 and its on a lot of records I love. it just is as heavy a  tube amp..... I wonder if a smaller JC would do a job on stage? 
    The size down from the JC120, the JC40, is lower wattage and smaller speakers. I tried one and it just didn't have that big JC120 sound I remember from the three 120s I've had. 

Gain stacking was the way forward with the 120 for me. Generally I had a Tim as the last overdrive in the chain set for a lowish gain and used the EQ and boost for whatever I needed. Threw a Rat, Skreddy Screwdriver (the Lunar Module is something I wish I had then), the odd Muff-type fuzz. Done. 

I use a Quilter Problock, because I don't like carrying stuff. I use the guitar's volume knob (cheaper than a boost pedal!) and a Mooer rat clone (Black Secret?) for those occasional noisy bits.
    I've used a Katana 100 and a Tonemaster in rehearsal rooms, both can be fine for what you're after. The JC and Bandit too, though they weigh a bit.
    Hey @SurfinSirFari  - I'd love to hear some mutant reggae.... where do I go?
    Hi! To be fair, our band is a bit new, just punting around to see if we can get some gigs!
    We've just put a live-in-the-studio type vid on FB though, look for Echo Den from Bristol.
    Cheers! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Placidcasual79 said:

I am really thinking Katana.... not originally but effective....

I had a digitech freqout and sold it on here - could never get it to behave predictably at gigs - though its more than likely that was done to me than the pedal - the fake feedback thing isnt essential anyway - just for those occasions in the breakdown and you want to get some feedback on the go before you all come back in....just me?
    I use the Boss DF-2 exactly because it’s not only a great-sounding distortion, the feedbacker works brilliantly - although there is a real learning curve for it, you have to get the hang of playing and pressing the pedal at just the right point.

Make sure you try a Katana in person before actually buying one - you’ll either find it perfectly acceptable, or want to kill it with fire when you hear its hideous grating fatiguing nastiness... hard to say :).

I use a Peavey Transtube (red stripe) Studio Pro 112 fitted with an Eminence Li’l Texas. Sounds great clean, overdriven and with pedals, and it’s an easy one-hand carry.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I'll have a look at real big fish - I'll be entirely grateful to you for putting me onto Ghost of Marcus Garvey and Best dressed chicken thank you @EricTheWeary ;

I have to confess to my biased and snobby view of those third wave American bands - I wrote them off without even listening to them - I thought they were too far toward American punky pop and not close enough to the heavy drum and bass I love.... I made that decision without really listening to the records - which is an unforgivable sin in music isnt it 
    I don't listen to much third wave stuff. It was a bit of a fad from which No Doubt emerged as global superstars and everyone else has been eeking a living since playing to student parties. But there are some fun songs, silly cover versions. Sublime were excellent although short lived ( their singer-guitarist died of a heroin overdose).
     In a lot of ska/ reggae/ 2Tone bands you have two ( or more) guitarists so they often don't have to swap roles very much so just have a sound that they can use throughout; Aaron from Reel Big Fish is usually the sole guitarist and so is a pedal user so he seemed closer to the issue you are having. 

Oh and The Interrupters who are still flying the ska punk flag in a very nice manner, nothing about pedals in this they just look like they'd be a fun band to be in...

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3549
    I presently use a Blues Cube Artist most of the time as part of a two-guitar team in an Afrobeat ensemble. Other guitarist uses a Katana 100. 

The K100 is loud, very clean. He doesn't really explore the efx. It's fine for what he needs it for. 

The BCA is more valve like - and takes drives/boosts well - but is not 'blackface clean' in stock form. 

I'd like to try a Quilter. I read mixed reports about the volume available from the 101 etc, though

Hey @SurfinSirFari  - I'd love to hear some mutant reggae.... where do I go?
    Hi! To be fair, our band is a bit new, just punting around to see if we can get some gigs!
    We've just put a live-in-the-studio type vid on FB though, look for Echo Den from Bristol.
    Cheers! 
    Ah mate - I've just see the song you did at the studio - I am into it - I like your drummers voice - and the overall sound is really good, its clean and big. I can why you describe it as cinematic reggae, its got a steppers rhythm, but a big huge sound over the top.... I've give it a like and will look forward to hearing more (oh and your logo is cool too!)

• ICBM said:
    Placidcasual79 said:

I am really thinking Katana.... not originally but effective....

I had a digitech freqout and sold it on here - could never get it to behave predictably at gigs - though its more than likely that was done to me than the pedal - the fake feedback thing isnt essential anyway - just for those occasions in the breakdown and you want to get some feedback on the go before you all come back in....just me?
    I use the Boss DF-2 exactly because it’s not only a great-sounding distortion, the feedbacker works brilliantly - although there is a real learning curve for it, you have to get the hang of playing and pressing the pedal at just the right point.

Make sure you try a Katana in person before actually buying one - you’ll either find it perfectly acceptable, or want to kill it with fire when you hear its hideous grating fatiguing nastiness... hard to say :).

I use a Peavey Transtube (red stripe) Studio Pro 112 fitted with an Eminence Li’l Texas. Sounds great clean, overdriven and with pedals, and it’s an easy one-hand carry.
    thank you @ICBM - I am going to try one in my local shop..... sounds a bit marmite..... 

I am interested in a pedal that can give me some extra gain then some feedback too - the FB-2 would be ideal but seems rare now.... but the DF-2 seems more widely available.... quick question if you don't mind - I know these things very subjective - but Id be looking for a little extra gain and crunch rather than lots of distortion.....is the DF-2 more suited to the rock/metal end of the spectrum?

• I'll have a look at real big fish - I'll be entirely grateful to you for putting me onto Ghost of Marcus Garvey and Best dressed chicken thank you @EricTheWeary 

I don't listen to much third wave stuff. It was a bit of a fad from which No Doubt emerged as global superstars and everyone else has been eeking a living since playing to student parties. But there are some fun songs, silly cover versions. Sublime were excellent although short lived ( their singer-guitarist died of a heroin overdose).
     In a lot of ska/ reggae/ 2Tone bands you have two ( or more) guitarists so they often don't have to swap roles very much so just have a sound that they can use throughout; Aaron from Reel Big Fish is usually the sole guitarist and so is a pedal user so he seemed closer to the issue you are having. 

Oh and The Interrupters who are still flying the ska punk flag in a very nice manner, nothing about pedals in this they just look like they'd be a fun band to be in...

I was thinking the other day @EricTheWeary about some of the stuff you have put me onto - the Ghost of Marcus Garvey - and also I think Prince Fatty's stuff - which has been a deep treasure chest of glorious analogue goodness - through his work with Hollie Cook I got into a really incredible America roots group called the Lions who have an amazing drummer and recorded this excellent sounding sessions which I am sure youve heard - 

I also think you put me onto Dr Alimantado's best dressed chicken in town - which has become one of my favourite MC/Toaster reggae records.... Its important I think to tip my hat and share the appreciation - hopefully you enjoy spreading the good word - but the interupters aren't for me - good drummer though....

are you playing at the moment?

• Greatape said:
    I presently use a Blues Cube Artist most of the time as part of a two-guitar team in an Afrobeat ensemble. Other guitarist uses a Katana 100. 

The K100 is loud, very clean. He doesn't really explore the efx. It's fine for what he needs it for. 

The BCA is more valve like - and takes drives/boosts well - but is not 'blackface clean' in stock form. 

I'd like to try a Quilter. I read mixed reports about the volume available from the 101 etc, though

thank you @Greatape - afrobeat sounds really interesting - I'd love to learn that style - is there anywhere can I check your stuff out mate?

I'll have a look at real big fish - I'll be entirely grateful to you for putting me onto Ghost of Marcus Garvey and Best dressed chicken thank you @EricTheWeary 

I was thinking the other day @EricTheWeary about some of the stuff you have put me onto - the Ghost of Marcus Garvey - and also I think Prince Fatty's stuff - which has been a deep treasure chest of glorious analogue goodness - through his work with Hollie Cook I got into a really incredible America roots group called the Lions who have an amazing drummer and recorded this excellent sounding sessions which I am sure youve heard - 

I also think you put me onto Dr Alimantado's best dressed chicken in town - which has become one of my favourite MC/Toaster reggae records.... Its important I think to tip my hat and share the appreciation - hopefully you enjoy spreading the good word - but the interupters aren't for me - good drummer though....

are you playing at the moment?

No, not really, for various reasons that might take a few sessions of psychotherapy to explain. 

Good that people are starting to dust off their teles and get back out there again and I’ve got tickets for The Specials in September. I love seeing live music, I went to see my first proper gig on 18/12/1979 and this must be by far the longest gap I’ve had without seeing anything in all that time. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339

I am interested in a pedal that can give me some extra gain then some feedback too - the FB-2 would be ideal but seems rare now.... but the DF-2 seems more widely available.... quick question if you don't mind - I know these things very subjective - but Id be looking for a little extra gain and crunch rather than lots of distortion.....is the DF-2 more suited to the rock/metal end of the spectrum?
    It can do, but you can run the gain low for a moderate crunch as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3549
    Speaking of reggae, what an underlooked band.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • who was it @EricTheWeary? on the fateful night in December 79?
    How old were you? I was born in September 79...
    My first gig - and I know this isnt cool - was Ocean Colour Scene at the Tiv in Buckely - I think in would have been 1996 - I was 16 and me and my friend did acid for the first time before walking the twenty odd miles home as we couldn't get it together to get the bus lol 
    who was it @EricTheWeary? on the fateful night in December 79?
    How old were you? I was born in September 79...
    My first gig - and I know this isnt cool - was Ocean Colour Scene at the Tiv in Buckely - I think in would have been 1996 - I was 16 and me and my friend did acid for the first time before walking the twenty odd miles home as we couldn't get it together to get the bus lol 
    My sister took me to see Thin Lizzy on my 15th birthday. Stafford Bingley Hall which was used for a lot of big gigs in those days but also as a livestock market so it was famously smelly. The NEC arena opened in 1980 so big gigs coming to the West Midlands started taking place there instead and by the mid 1980s there were no more concerts smelling of sheep poo. 

Last gig I saw before lockdown was Michael Ball and Alfie Boe ( my son works for a chain of venues and they sell off unsold tickets to staff for £5 ) so I need to see at least one other gig before I die so I’m not cremated to the sound of Phantom of the Opera. 

I guess Buckley is on the edge of Merseyside so it has decent catchment area for gigs. I’ve never seen OCS but I have seen Simon Fowler with his folk band as he turns up to Moseley folk festival. Oh, also seen Craddock play with The Specials - I watched him thinking ‘ I could do that.’