Gibson ES355 - No COA?

What's Hot
TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
Hey all. 

I bought a 2009 Gibson ES-355 and it’s got Custom Shop all over it, on the back of the neck, on the case, but no COA. I’m not sure if it’s meant to have one as it’s from Memphis not Nashville, which is the Custom Shop. It’s got the extended warranty leaflet with the details on it but no COA. My searches are giving me mixed messages so I wondered if anyone knew if it’s meant to have a COA or not?

Ta!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22793
    I'm pretty sure my CS-336 has a CoA and I suppose it's a Memphis guitar (not providing much certainty here am I...?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    edited July 2021
    Yup it should, Memphis guitars with and without the 'custom shop' label had them, my 2009 fat neck did
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    Hmm my one didn’t come with one. It was priced somewhat lower than eBay used so maybe that’s why but I’ll ask them about it in any case. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I don’t know that far back, but my Memphis 2018 ES-330 has the little black COA book in the case. My early (2002-ish) CS336 is Nashville made, I think, and came with the paper cert
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    I also think it should, at least both my 335 from 2012 does and another one I had in the past from 2011 also did.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I don’t know that far back, but my Memphis 2018 ES-330 has the little black COA book in the case. My early (2002-ish) CS336 is Nashville made, I think, and came with the paper cert
    Same as mine from 2016 or there abouts.

Personally,  the last time I saw it I used it as a coaster for my tea. It's a fucking book and has nothing to do with how good the guitar plays.

I have a similar issue with my Fender coa. 
    God knows where they are, again they have nothing to do with how the guitar plays
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @meltedbuzzbox You completely right. I am someone who goes through guitars like anything. I am fickle and will give one up for another at a moments notice, so if it’s gonna affect the value that does annoy me, but it was £3500 and they’re up for about £4K on eBay so maybe I got it a bit cheap, or priced appropriately anyway. 

Thanks everyone else. Wiz’s given. I’ve emailed Gibson directly too.
    @meltedbuzzbox You completely right. I am someone who goes through guitars like anything. I am fickle and will give one up for another at a moments notice, so if it’s gonna affect the value that does annoy me, but it was £3500 and they’re up for about £4K on eBay so maybe I got it a bit cheap, or priced appropriately anyway. 

Apologies for my abrupt response.
    I think you got my gist though.
    A 500 quid discount sounds like a bonus to me. Especially if it's a keeper
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    edited July 2021

Apologies for my abrupt response.
    I think you got my gist though.
    A 500 quid discount sounds like a bonus to me. Especially if it's a keeper
    It was blunt sure but you’re right. It’s just I’d just rather have it than not. 

The guitar came ‘newly strung’. You should have seen how it was strung. Two winds, a metre apart. Restrung it and it’s much better. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11875
    I think they went from the A4 piece of paper to the little A5 booklet thing in around 2003/04.  Gibson do not reissue certificates, unlike Fender with the floor traveler. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22793
    edited July 2021
    I think they went from the A4 piece of paper to the little A5 booklet thing in around 2003/04.  Gibson do not reissue certificates, unlike Fender with the floor traveler. 
    I thought I was being lazy not checking... my CS-336 was made in 2003 or 2004 I think (it has a non-standard serial number so I can't tell for sure).  There's a receipt in the case dated 2006, but I don't know if that was the original sale or a subsequent one.  It has a paper certificate.  
    Well, I think I’m going to return it. Lots of tuning issues. May need a new nut, tuners may be slipping, who knows? I can’t be arsed to diagnose it and I find these things can take a lot of effort. 

Thanks anyway!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, I think I’m going to return it. Lots of tuning issues. May need a new nut, tuners may be slipping, who knows? I can’t be arsed to diagnose it and I find these things can take a lot of effort. 

Thanks anyway!
    Sorry to hear that fella. Hopefully all goes well
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Seriously? You got it for £500 less than you expected. If you can’t fix it yourself, a tech can do it for about a tenth of that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited July 2021
    ICBM said:
    Seriously? You got it for £500 less than you expected. If you can’t fix it yourself, a tech can do it for about a tenth of that.
    No I got it for the price I got it for. I didn’t expect to pay more for that, I paid what it was advertised for. Prices are also very high currently. 

My experience is that these things can be a rabbit hole, especially with Gibsons. And what’s the point in getting a guitar for £500 less and then having to spend another £500 on a new nut, or new tuners or, if it doesn’t work, a Mojoaxe bridge that I have to wait to come from America? I’ve done this many times with Gibsons that can’t stay in tune properly and I have no desire to bother with all that I’m afraid. It’s a shame but I’m returning it. I’m not all that enamoured with it in any case, it’s huge. 
    TeleMaster said:

I’m not all that enamoured with it in any case, it’s huge. 
    That’s a good reason :). I don’t get on with 335-size guitars either. Just too long to the left and too big to the right... feels like playing a snow shovel!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    TeleMaster said:

That’s a good reason :). I don’t get on with 335-size guitars either. Just too long to the left and too big to the right... feels like playing a snow shovel!
    I do think it’s cool but it is very, very big. It did sound great though. At least now I know they’re not for me. :lol:
    You probably need something like a CS-356.

I’ve really never understood the size of 335-series guitars - completely unnecessary for an electric guitar.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3988
    ICBM said:
    TeleMaster said:

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    ICBM said:
    You probably need something like a CS-356.

I’ve really never understood the size of 335-series guitars - completely unnecessary for an electric guitar.

+1 and I'm 6 foot tall. The 336/356 is the perfect size for a thinline. The ES-330 is just about manageable because of the shorter neck. 

I assume they originally made them that big because their target market was the guys used to playing huge jazzboxes - ES-5, ES-125, ES-300 etc so they wanted something halfway between those and the LP to tempt them into the new style. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires