Big songs you don't like from bands you love

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22907
    Reverend said:
    Overall llrnr is the better album but im afraid you'll not be able to appreciate it from the padded cell.
    Thanks Rev!  :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3251
    JeffBeck said:
    Hi Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck!!! 
    ^
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    JMS96 said:

I like Shiny Happy People but I can't stand Everybody Hurts.
    Love REM. Hate Shiny Happy People. I used to hate Everybody Hurts until I watched it played live (Glastonbury?) It was an amazing moment - the song revealed itself to me. Now love it. 
    For me it's Losing My Religion. I don't hate it, but I've just heard it too much. Shiny Happy People is a great bit of cheesy pop. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    Stuckfast said:
    Rocking In The Free World -- Neil Young. I'm a massive fan even of most of his 'difficult' stuff but that has no merit at all.
    I assume you know it's totally sarcastic and the opposite meaning of what it initially appears to say?

I find songs like Let's Roll and some of the ones on Living With War more offensively bad...

RITFW must be close to Born In The USA as one of the most misinterpreted songs of all time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Philly_Q said:
    Redlester said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Again a band I like rather than love, but Def Leppard have a couple of absolute stinkers among their greatest hits - Pour Some Sugar On Me and, even worse, Let's Get Rocked.
    I’m sorry mate, here’s my confession- Let’s Get Rocked is catchy and fun. 
    So is Agadoo, but... 

To think a bunch of 30-something British men wrote those lyrics, it's an absolute embarrassment... (I'm still talking about Let's Get Rocked).

But hey, all opinions are valid.  Loads of people hate Cherry Pie (including the guy who wrote it, RIP), but I think it's a work of genius.... and supposedly it was inspired by Pour Some Sugar On Me, so I must be an idiot.
    Oh you're completely right. The words to Let's Get Rocked are total pants. And the video is a complete stinker too- most expensive in the world at the time when they made it, but the computer graphics look laughable now. I detested it at the time- I loved Hysteria when I was a kid, and then they came out with this stinking pile of doggy doo as a lead single off the follow up album. 

The teenager in me still hates the song. The bloke who actually bothered to listen all the way through to Adrenalize decades later and who loves that album... well he doesn't mind so much. It's a catchy ditty- no more, no less.  
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22907
    Redlester said:
    The teenager in me still hates the song. The bloke who actually bothered to listen all the way through to Adrenalize decades later and who loves that album... well he doesn't mind so much. It's a catchy ditty- no more, no less.  
    I never bought Adrenalize.  I think it was the fact Steve Clark was gone, I didn't like the tracks I heard, and although I really liked Hysteria I did eventually start to think it was too slick so I was going off them anyway... personally I think High 'n' Dry was their creative peak!

In retrospect, Adrenalize was the end of their megastar period and they went downhill (commercially speaking) surprisingly quickly after that.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4136
    I really like Adrenalize. Let's Get Rocked was harking back to the sort of conversational rock and roll songs of the past, such as Summertime Blues. I think it's a fun catchy pop song - and DL are after all a band that's born out of 70s glam rock. 

The track that's a tribute to Steve Clarke, White Lightning, is one of my favourite DL tracks. 

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5515
    edited July 2021
    Enter Sandman.
    I worshipped Metallica and learnt guitar to the first 4 albums, and then they released this. I respect the impact it had and appreciate the effect it had on their career but it was just so... basic. Radio friendly when the whole point of Metallica for me was that they were the opposite of radio rock.
    It was a sell out and I've never settled with it.
    They've had loads of singles but it's the only one that you hear getting played and despite their massive success and 40 year career is probably the only song of theirs that a lot of folk can name.

I did actually like the Black Album but with the 30 year anniversary I'll no doubt have to endure Sandman ad nauseum for the next wee while.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2899
    edited July 2021
    Curl Of The Burl and Show Yourself by Mastodon. They just sound too poppy to be in the track listing for the album they're in.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5858
    Top of my head, erm, I love Duran Duran, but can't abide Reflex or Wild Boys, which were some of the biggest hits.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Top of my head, erm, I love Duran Duran, but can't abide Reflex or Wild Boys, which were some of the biggest hits.
    Wow for not liking The Reflex or Wild Boys, not for loving Duran Duran :).

Reminded by something else... I like The Killers a lot, but I really don't like Mr. Brightside - and didn't even before it got played to death by half the cover bands in the world. But I dislike Glamorous Indie Rock'n'Roll more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    ICBM said:
    Stuckfast said:
    Rocking In The Free World -- Neil Young. I'm a massive fan even of most of his 'difficult' stuff but that has no merit at all.
    I assume you know it's totally sarcastic and the opposite meaning of what it initially appears to say?

Yes. In fact part of the problem is the way it hammers home the I AM BEING IRONIC message with all the subtlety of a particularly unsubtle brick.

The other problem is that it's so plodding and dull from a musical perspective. Usually Neil is one of those people who can play two chords over and over again and make it sound amazing but not here.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24307
    Metallica. Sad but true.

For some reason that song annoys me.
    Stuckfast said:

Yes. In fact part of the problem is the way it hammers home the I AM BEING IRONIC message with all the subtlety of a particularly unsubtle brick.
    True... he doesn't do political songs very well in general, in fact - mostly comes across as simplistic and a bit dim. There are a couple of real howlers on Living With War too.

edited July 2021
    ICBM said:
    Wow for not liking The Reflex or Wild Boys, not for loving Duran Duran .

Reminded by something else... I like The Killers a lot, but I really don't like Mr. Brightside - and didn't even before it got played to death by half the cover bands in the world. But I dislike Glamorous Indie Rock'n'Roll more.
    I know, I guessed it was that way around. I don't know why I dislike those tracks, though, I like some of the other songs of the same year, but prefer the 1981 and 82 stuff.

I admire Spandau Ballet as well, I'm very fond of the 80's, but guess which 2 Spandau songs I hate most

I love Queen, but think I'll smash my head against a wall if I hear "Somebody to Love" again.

Don't mind The Killers but yes, Mr Brightside has gotten to "that" status.

I admire Spandau Ballet as well, I'm very fond of the 80's, but guess which 2 Spandau songs I hate most
    I love the whole Journeys To Glory album but don’t like anything that came afterwards - not even Diamond. It was like they became a completely different band overnight.

ICBM said:

I love the whole Journeys To Glory album but don’t like anything that came afterwards - not even Diamond. It was like they became a completely different band overnight.
    I know what you mean, but music changed so quickly in the 80's as did fashions. I guess chart bands had to change with it, or their record companies "advised" them to adapt. I guess it's a complicated Industry, we know it is, don't we?

I still like some of the other hits around 82 to 84, but Gold and True really didn't float my boat. I still recognise the songwriting talent that created it, though.

Through the Barricades and How Many Lies from 86 were really great songs, but yes, still a world away from their original sound.